Need help with a side dish to complement lamb chops!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeloman

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I've turned to the kitchen in order to attempt to impress a girl with my "amazing" cooking skills. I'm planning on making Balsamic Glazed Lamb Chops but instead of adding a White Bean Puree at the bottom, I was thinking to just substitute mashed potatoes instead.

Would this be an acceptable side dish? Or would the balsamic reduction clash with the mashed potatoes?

I'd recommend a rice pilaf instead and a green vegetable. I assume you know she likes these foods.

I was also going to say rice. But if you like potato, who is there to say no to you. I love mashed potato with everything. Of course with lamb would be nice something more of a Middle-eastern flavor. Maybe try rosemary roasted potato?

Mashed potato should be OK but the white bean puree would be a bit more special I think Or if you don't want them then perhaps try a celeriac puree instead. Prepare the same as mashed potato, add a little black pepper, butter ( not too much as it might be watery) a little creme fraiche or cream. I also add a clove of garlic when i am cooking the celeriac but that's up to you...........;)

My opinion---- but you will need to do what you think is best---- it IS your friend after all.:)

I'd say rice or rice pilaf (pilaf if you're willing to do a little more preparation)
Or Tabbouleh----- which has the advantage of being able to be fixed ahead of time.

Tabbouleh Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I did lamb chop the other night and did a Quinoa cooked in chicken stock. When it was done I added sun dried tomato, a couple of leaves of baby spinach and goat cheese while it was hot. Really tasty and colorful.

That word "impress" scares me!

I think the mashed potatoes would be fine.

I usually do lamb, roasted potatoes and asparagus or peas with minced red onion and a salad.

I would stick with things you make on a regular basis, that can be done ahead and that require very little last minute fussing. I would also encourage you to find a girl that enjoys cooking with you and not one that enjoys being entertained or impressed. Open the wine, you can fix the lamb chops while she makes the salad etc... That paints a much nicer picture of the next fifty years than you fussing around in the kitchen while your wife sits in the living room waiting for dinner to be served! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to DC! Do what you're comfortable with. If you've never made rice pilaf, by all means go with mashed potatoes.

Casbah foods makes a terrific lemon, spinach couscous that would be fabulous with lamb. You add the boiling water and a little butter or olive oil. Yes, I know it's almost instant but it's delicious and what I would serve. I might hide the box.... ;)

You can buy this at many grocery stores possibly a healthfood store as it's organic. In my area it's commonly found in mainstream grocery stores.

059014-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom