Oatmeal splatter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdege

Assistant Cook
When I cook oatmeal in my Instapot it comes out perfect, but when I crack the pressure release it spits starch-filled water and makes a mess.

What can I do to keep this from happening?

The pressure doesn't release automatically - unless I want to wait until everything cools to room temperature I'm going to have to open the pressure valve.

That (and other foamy, bubbly, and similar things) are things they tell you to let the pressure release naturally, otherwise, you could get the valve clogged with foam. One thing I've made up for this with, when cooking lentils, is cook it less time (depending on the variety), but let the 12 or 15 minutes of pressure release make up for it. Things like grits, and other "porridge" type things I set for 1 minute, but the time going up to it, and the release time, makes up for it. They could be done as quickly in a saucepan, but stirring constantly - with the IP, I put it in, and forget about it, until the valve drops.

The pressure doesn't release automatically - unless I want to wait until everything cools to room temperature I'm going to have to open the pressure valve.
Stuff in the IP is never room temperature when mine is finished releasing naturally. You're releasing pressure, not cooling it off. And it switches to Keep Warm during the pressure release time. Let it release for 15-20 minutes and you will eliminate the problem.

That's one of the things I've never understood why people are crazy for these instapots.
For many of the foods, (not all, I agree) I figure by the time it heats up, cooks, cools to release, you could have done it in the same time on the stove top. So where is the savings?

I'd never tried oatmeal on the instant pot, before. This has been something of an experiment.

It's come out great, without the necessity of constant interaction that cooking on the stove top requires.

For me, turn it on and come back in 20 minutes when it beeps can fit into my morning routine better than stand at the stove and stir for 10 minutes.

jdege, that I fully understand, but maybe add another 10 for cooling LOL.
I guess I should also consider that I've just bought a rice cooker - I just have to remember to start it an hour before! But yeah, I do love that once started I don't have to think about it.

I bought the pot because it had a sous vide setting, and I've always liked sous vide, for exactly that reason. Throw a steak in and it'll be ready in an hour, or four, whichever is most convenient.

jdege, that I fully understand, but maybe add another 10 for cooling LOL.
I guess I should also consider that I've just bought a rice cooker - I just have to remember to start it an hour before! But yeah, I do love that once started I don't have to think about it.
So you bought a gadget with one of the six functions that came with my Instant Pot 😉 It can sauté, pressure cook, slow cook, has settings for rice or beans or porridge, and it makes the best hard-boiled eggs (with the easiest peeling ever), etc. (I haven't looked up all the functions in a while). It stops cooking when the time is up and automatically switches to natural pressure release on a stay-warm setting, so you can either take out the food after the pressure drops or leave it there to stay warm till you're ready to serve.

Not trying to change your mind or anything. Just my experience.

@jdege

Oatmeal is not one of the things I do in the IP - that is something I do in a MW, for about 2 minutes (actually a little less). Steel cut oats are probably faster in the IP, and those I usually use mixed with another grain. And not small, one bowl amounts.

You have a newer IP than I have, since it has the sous vide setting. And you have that same idea I have - just set it, and 20 min later (or whatever), it's done. If it includes pressure release, no big deal.

And, like GG said, it makes the best HB eggs! And it puts out the least heat, for cooking most of the things I do in it, which is good in the summer.

Last edited:
I have the oldest 6 qt model, also with IP-DUO on the screen. Many newer models changed some of the buttons, as well as the valves, but they are pretty much the same, still. A couple of friends got theirs after seeing me use mine, one getting an 8 qt, and picked up on them quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom