October is National Seafood Month in the U S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are starting out with stuffed shrimp (crab) and rice pilaf tonight.

A new scallop dish will follow in a few days.

Will you be celebrating or are you one of the downers who don't like the fruits of the ocean? :D
I had no idea but I'm all in. I've got enough seafood in my freezer to celebrate for nearly the whole month. Seared scallops over pasta will be our supper tonight!

We’ll see! 🤔😉🤭
1696254652192.jpeg

I have shrimp, scallops, lobster tails, plus I bought a (new to me) frozen dinner of Pasta alle Vongole I'm anxious to try. All waiting in the freezer.

Was sort of put off last time I made it as the clams were bitter. Their juice was great - it was the meat. So hoping this puts me back on the trail again. When I used those few clams in the Paella they were great, so this will be my next step back.

Although not a seafood - I often think of escargot in the same setting.

Next on my want to try are calamari. Made them once with a friend (eons ago) but she did most of it. Watched a video just the other day with ATK doing Rhode Island Style Fried Calamari. Got me drooling. I don't care for frying but think I just might have to do this.

. . . Next on my want to try are calamari. Made them once with a friend (eons ago) but she did most of it. Watched a video just the other day with ATK doing Rhode Island Style Fried Calamari. Got me drooling. I don't care for frying but think I just might have to do this.
Consider stuffed squid. It's a great dish stuffed and covered with a tasty tomato sauce.

I have shrimp, scallops, lobster tails, plus I bought a (new to me) frozen dinner of Pasta alle Vongole I'm anxious to try. All waiting in the freezer.

Was sort of put off last time I made it as the clams were bitter. Their juice was great - it was the meat. So hoping this puts me back on the trail again. When I used those few clams in the Paella they were great, so this will be my next step back.

Although not a seafood - I often think of escargot in the same setting.

Next on my want to try are calamari. Made them once with a friend (eons ago) but she did most of it. Watched a video just the other day with ATK doing Rhode Island Style Fried Calamari. Got me drooling. I don't care for frying but think I just might have to do this.
Oh I luvvvvv calamari!

That's the great thing about calamari. If you screw it up the first time just throw them into the sauce and cook'em to tender! LOL

These first ones will be rings but have looked at a couple of stuffed tube recipes. Sound delicious!

Just need to get my nerve up.

That's the great thing about calamari. If you screw it up the first time just throw them into the sauce and cook'em to tender! LOL

These first ones will be rings but have looked at a couple of stuffed tube recipes. Sound delicious!

Just need to get my nerve up.
Fried is the best (to me). My husband likes to dip his in cocktail sauce. I like horseradish-mayonnaise for mine.

Fried is the best (to me). My husband likes to dip his in cocktail sauce. I like horseradish-mayonnaise for mine.
We just squeeze some lemon juice on them and that's it!

My pet peeve is places that just sell rings. The tentacles are the best part IMO.

I sometimes use the bodies as sushi wrappers. I very briefly drop everything in a court bouillon, then chop up a couple of bodies and tentacles, mix with seasoned sushi rice and some finely chopped green onions or chives, mix, then use that to stuff remaining bodies firmly, refrigerate for a bit, then carefully slice. You have to use smallish squid bodies to get bite size "rolls."

I've always liked the tentacles too.

medtran, are you talking sushi raw? Briefly dropping in a court bouillon will cook them, yes?
(I hope so, :blush: )

Calamari salad is another easy option with many variations.

Read a few and adjust the amounts and ingredients to what you have on hand.

I would add some red onion and olive oil to this recipe. Some recipes use red wine vinegar in place of lemon juice. Etc…

Last edited:
Just made a clam chowder and used some bacon I just made. Lately after rendering the bacon, onion, fennel and carrot I add ground coriander and smoked hot paprika and a little bit of chili flakes and then deglace with white wine before adding the clam juice and cream. Last time I made it I also added local corn, but not this time.

I've used Charlie Trotters idea of stuffing small calamari with braised oxtail many times and I think it's that time again. :)

pictonguy - please post that recipe for clam chowder! Sounds great. Head on over to the Fish and Seafood section so we can find that yumminess easily!

I will take note of this. I like seafood a lot more than DH does. I will give that jar of pickled herring in my fridge a taste. The last one was far too sweet and I threw it out. This is a different kind. I also have a fancy Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwich) that I want to try which has white fish, smoked salmon, shrimp, and lumpfish "caviar". DH doesn't like most arthropods, he doesn't hate small shrimp. He's okay with clams, squid, and octopus. His preference is almost always fish and chips. So, I'll see what I can work into the menu this month. I would happily have seafood at supper twice a week and also at lunch and maybe even breakfast. I was raised by Scandinavian parents and Scandinavians eat a lot of seafood.

I will take note of this. I like seafood a lot more than DH does. I will give that jar of pickled herring in my fridge a taste. The last one was far too sweet and I threw it out. This is a different kind. I also have a fancy Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwich) that I want to try which has white fish, smoked salmon, shrimp, and lumpfish "caviar". DH doesn't like most arthropods, he doesn't hate small shrimp. He's okay with clams, squid, and octopus. His preference is almost always fish and chips. So, I'll see what I can work into the menu this month. I would happily have seafood at supper twice a week and also at lunch and maybe even breakfast. I was raised by Scandinavian parents and Scandinavians eat a lot of seafood.
I'm 1/4 Norwegian but I don't have experience with foods from that area. I did grow up on the gulf coast of Florida so I love fresh seafood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom