October is National Seafood Month in the U S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I wrote elsewhere I refuse to pay that amount and from 1.5 lb lobster only get a tiny amount of meat. Add in- the cooking in large heavy pot, the shelling and you never know if the shells will be just manageable, or super hard, or even soft (although I think, they are not supposed to sell those?)

Now, the few times I have lobster is when the tails come on sale. I often get 2 tails for the price of one whole lobster and none of the work. Yes, there is no claw meat, but too bad, so sad, at least I still can have lobster once in a while.
Chef John's recipe for Devilled Lobster Tails is my go to for now.

1696509034840.png

Deviled Lobster Tails

If you need to feed the multitudes and all you happen to have on hand is one old dilapidated lobster this recipe is for you. 🤭

Lobster Bisque

1 1/2 pound live lobster
3 quarts water
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons potato starch slurry, or equivalent thickener. Optional

Plunge lobster into large pot with 3 quarts of boiling water, cover and cook 25 minutes.

Remove lobster from pot, reserve cooking water, strip lobster meat from shells. Process lobster meat in a blender or food processor with 1/2 cup of cooking liquid, return to liquid in the cooking pot and bring to a boil.

Add potato starch slurry and thicken to desired consistency.

Remove from heat and add nutmeg, pepper, sherry, and heavy cream.

Adjust seasoning and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

In the 70s this simple soup was a popular menu item at one of our most popular downtown restaurants.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom