Official Dinner Thread for Friday the 7th©

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
While stumbling around the internet, I came across a recipe for "real southern tomato pie". I marked the site for later reference. I purchased the ingredients and planned on making the pie tonight.

The recipe is on allrecipes.com. In addition to the usual print recipe and the photo instructions, there was a short video in which a woman demonstrated making the pie. Jut one problem, the video and the print recipe did not match up. Very annoying. The video shows steps not in the written recipe. Also, the written recipe has steps not in the video.

This reminded me why I usually stay away from this site. My memory has been refreshed.

All else aside, I was able to come up with an all inclusive recipe that tasted pretty good. Very pizza-like.

So what did you all do for dinner tonight?

Photo - 1.jpeg

It sounds wonderful, @Andy M.! Your picture reminds me that I've not made "Italian Supper Pie" lately! And, not tonight either. Tonight, I've got a chicken on the Showtime, baked beans in the oven and I need to start some potatoes on the stove...gotta go!

We went out for dinner tonight. I had a grilled chicken sandwich with mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato with potato chips. One cousin had a vegetable sub and chips. The other cousin had an Italian sub and chips. We all had Peppermint Patties for dessert.

Today I finished my gazpacho - 2 smaller bowls for breakfast, then lunch! Had 8 bowls out of that nearly gallon of gazpacho I made. This afternoon I made my first batch of that favorite lentil salad of mine, since I got enough ripe tomatoes. I took out a 3 c bag of freekeh from the freezer last night - this is one of the main things I use that in, and I also cook the lentils with a couple of black cardamom pods, which along with the freekeh, makes the kitchen smell almost like I'm cooking something with bacon in it! I usually add 2/3 c freekeh to a lb of channa dal, added about 40 minutes after starting the dal in the Instant Pot, on slow cook, about 120 to 130 minutes - something I use for salad, so I can check it for doneness, and not overcook it.

I also got about 3/4 c garlic chives, but I had to use some frozen habaneros from last year, as it's too early for most peppers, especially habs. And I got some sheep's milk feta cheese, a couple of months ago, getting ready for making this.
First lentil salad this summer, with about 4 c of tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

mr bliss had baked beans w/potatoes for dinner. I had carrot slaw, peaches, fermented 9 grain flakes, chia/flax, cinnamon, and honey (breakfast for dinner).
Black bean brownies with dried cherries for dessert.

My 2 best gal pals & I got together... finally! First time since I moved in '21.
We had crackers, cheese with Mushroom tapenade in Truffle Oil to start.
Green salad of cucumber, tomato, red onion with White Balsamic Vinegar infused with Key Limes and Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil (very yummy and yes, I had to stare at the labels to get it right).
Deviled Lobster Tails from Chef John - absolutely outstanding!
Baguette for sopping up whatever...
Cupcakes that got bagged crooked and the frosting slid over onto the next row, for the birthday girl.
And the birthday girls' own world famous lemon squares, which she said for some reason she had to PRY out of the pan. But I couldn't taste the Prying so all was good.
One is on Chemo, the other anti-biotics, so I drank all the wine by myself.
Delicious meal and a wonderful time was had by all!

I tried a new-to-me recipe from Chef John, Pan-Roasted 5-Spice Pork Loin. It would have been easier if the pork loin had been cut nicely. I think whoever cut this out was incompetent or just didn't care. It was tasty, but the result was a bit funny looking. I served it with some stir fried vegis and brown rice. We had the last of the not-so-pretty strawberries and cream dessert.

Pan-Roasted 5-Spice Pork Loin and stir fried vegis and brown rice 2.jpg
Pan-Roasted 5-Spice Pork Loin and stir fried vegis and brown rice.jpg

@Andy M. Was it good?
@GinnyPNW What is Italian Supper Pie.
@Paulie237 That looks amazing. Are you willing to share the recipe?

Italian Supper Pie is an ancient recipe from one of those little pamphlets they like to sell at the supermarket check-out stands. This one is from Pillsbury. I looked around and couldn't find the exact recipe online, so I'll shoot you a PM with it. It is good and there's room to make it your own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom