Online Food Shopping - Do/don't you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When DH and I were both ill, I placed an old fashioned, phone order with my pharmacy. They have some groceries. It was really helpful.

The Stop and Shop supermarket chain has such a service called Pea Pod.

I looked into Pea Pod. Talked to a few customers. They were not that thrilled with what they were sent. Then I looked at their site. It must have been just before their shelves were being stocked. Almost everything I wanted, they were out of. And considering I live within the confines of the city, I thought their delivery price was too high. I just could find any reason to justify buying on line. :ermm:

I generaly do not like on line shopping, not just for food, everything. I like to be able to look, to check, to touch the item before purchasing.

That sort of service isn't offered around here. I wouldn't use it anyway. I enjoy wandering through food markets, and grocery stores. It's a big part of my weekly entertainment. I look forward to my food shopping trips. Sad, eh?:LOL:

No, for some of us, it is the only time we can get out of the house. My son and I split my grocery shopping. He takes one half of the store and I the other half. We are in and out within 45 minutes. I have yet to wander up and down all the aisles since it opened. I keep saying I am going to have him drop me off and I will take my sweet time. Then I will call him when I am ready to go home. Maybe this summer when it is nice out and I won't mind being outside waiting for him. There are plenty of places to sit. And I can people watch while I am waiting. :)

One of my nearby stores, Rouses, has that service. Since it's difficult for me to get there, I may just try it. They have excellent meats and often have good sale prices. I'm going to try it the next time they have a good sale on things I like. I'm also hoping they might have items I haven't been able to find in my regular stores like Gravy Master.

Kitchen Bouquet is the same thing. I buy either one. :)

i'm with chuck d. and rock. firstly, i prefer to see, smell, and touch the food i'm buying. well, any fresh food. boxed or canned stuff doesn't matter.

but i also enjoy going food shopping. from the thrill of the hunt for good prices, to finding some foodstuff that i'd forgotten about because i haven't made it in a long time, to seeing something new that i've always wanted to try.

the trifecta of these is having a new recipe of some familiar ingredients along with ones i've never tried, and then finding them all in season and on sale.

Last edited:
I started looking around. In my area, there is a grocery shopping service. Apparently part of a national linkage of services.

Austin grocery delivery service, grocery delivery austin

$35 a hour. Not sure when the hour starts. I assume it's when the shopper arrives at the store. So, like a lot of businesses, they can do better when they can manage to provide for multiple customers in one trip. They promise same day, if ordered by 9:00 a.m., and that maximizes that multi-customer possibility. Apparently, there are a lot of these "independent associate" networks.

I see that NetGrocer.Com offers nationwide delivery. Runs about $35 for $125 worth of groceries to the western states. Cheap in New England. Doesn't say how they pack those lamb chops to survive the 3 to 7 day FedEx trip. I suppose FedEx takes a dim view of ordering from way out in the desert.

I buy quite a bit from Amazon. I have Prime, so there's no charge. All dry goods of course, but I got three bottles of safflower oil (goes in the dog's food) for the same price as I was paying for one bottle ($17) at the grocery store.

For fresh stuff, produce, fruit etc. I like to "kick the tires" and make sure it's something I want. During the summer, I get it from farm stands and farmer's markets anyway. And protien I buy on sale and freeze.

I should also add to say that the only person I trust with choosing our meats/poultry/fish and produce is "me." I would never consider having someone else make those choices, which would definitely negate online shopping for those items.
That's my problem too. I "enjoy" picking the best meats, fish or produce. I'll agonize over the best steak, or asking the fish counter monger to cut just the right fillet or steak, or picking the best limes, potatoes, yams or anything.

I know who you are! Some people just walk up and grab an onion and throw it in their shopping cart. I'll spend 5 minutes picking the best onion even if it's the one on the bottom!

And let's not even discuss avocados! :D (Okay if I'm making guac then you just grab the squishy ones, but I need firm but not too unripe avocado if I'm making a salad...)

However, those items I purchase at Sam's are generally pet-related or name brand packaged, paper products (toilet paper, etc.) or canned goods. Hard to mess those up.
I would have no problem with packaged ingredients. In fact I'll have to look into my possibilities here in L.A, see if maybe it might even be smart to order online, then shop at the store for meats/fish/produce, then after check-out pick up your pre-ordered at the other counter.

I'm even picky about packaged stuff. I read labels. I want to know when that Gouda that we have been buying for years (at Costco) suddenly starts having natamycin in the skin or that now the Breyer's ice cream is no longer "all natural" and has all manner of weird chemicals added, as well as guar gum.

I wouldn't use an on-line shopping service even if it was offered here. When I was a kid, Friday night was grocery shopping night because my mom didn't drive at that time. It was always so much fun to walk through the store and see what was there. I was too young to even think about saving money so I didn't pay attention to that. Today I still don't think too much about saving money because I don't have to and I still love to go to the grocery store, walk down most every aisle and pick out what I want to buy. If I happen to be having a bad day, I always feel better when I walk out of the store with my groceries. Oh well.

All of the major S/Markets offer free online shopping when you spend a min amount. With petrol costing around $8 a gallon over here online shopping is becoming more relevant.:)

Both. I do the "bulk" of my food shopping online from a huge local chain. The delivery charge can vary from $13 or less (depending on if you choose an off time or larger time window for delivery). It's a great help to me not having to make many trips from the car to the house, gas (which is up again), going out in 100-degree heat or pouring rain, and have food delivered the next day (in my robe). The market has more of a selection (bakery, deli section & salad bar). Online shopping is also great for paper & cleaning products, staples, canned goods, heavy bottles (detergent, soda, etc.), & dry or fresh pasta.

Gas, here, is around $4.39. Also, online shopping is a Godsend for me right now. I'm having a long recovery period from surgery, and difficulty with mobility. Grateful the service is available.

Tax I think my maths were out, we are paying £1.37 a litre or $3.24 a litre so whats that a US gallon?
At the current exchange rate, you are paying about $8.21 per gallon (US dollars, US gallons). Makes sense. I was last in the UK in August 2011. At that time, it was a little more than $7 per US gallon.

By contrast, I filled up my tank this morning for $3.64 per gallon, or $0.96 (61 p) per liter.

Last edited:
Both. I do the "bulk" of my food shopping online from a huge local chain. The delivery charge can vary from $13 or less (depending on if you choose an off time or larger time window for delivery). It's a great help to me not having to make many trips from the car to the house, gas (which is up again), going out in 100-degree heat or pouring rain, and have food delivered the next day (in my robe). The market has more of a selection (bakery, deli section & salad bar). Online shopping is also great for paper & cleaning products, staples, canned goods, heavy bottles (detergent, soda, etc.), & dry or fresh pasta.

sounds like my von's market. same description. i love it and shop for a month. this keep the cost down and no impulse buying. they bring it in the house and even separate the perishables from pantry. i love it, have done for about five years now. a real help for a great-granny.

Back
Top Bottom