Our first taste of tejuino...anyone else had it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
Our neighbors just brought us each a refreshing drink that they bought from a bicycle-driven cart that was driving down our street. They called it "tejuino" and it is delicious and refreshing...we have seen the carts and assumed it was a fruit juice, but there is much more to it than that. I copied this from a Mexican cooking website:

"Tejuino
Since ancient times, cooling tejuino has refreshed Mexico. It's made from the same corn masa (dough) that's used for tortillas and tamales. The prepared masa is mixed with water and piloncillo (cone-shaped Mexican brown sugar) and boiled until the liquid is quite thick. It's then allowed to ferment slightly—but just slightly. I've never known anyone to get so much as a buzz from sipping a cupful of cold tejuino.
Once the tejuino is thickened and fermented, it's mixed as needed with freshly squeezed jugo de limón (key lime juice), a pinch of salt, water, ice, and a big scoop of lemon sherbet. Just about everywhere in Mexico, it's sold in plastic glasses—small, medium, and large—or in a plastic bag with the top knotted around a drinking straw.
Some people say that tejuino is an acquired taste. I acquired the taste for it the very first time I tried it and often crave it on hot afternoons. There is nothing more refreshing. Fortunately, there is a tejuino vendor just a block from my house, so I can buy a glassful when the spirit moves me. Cup after cup of freshly prepared tejuino is ladled out to customers every day. Although tejuino is only a slightly sweet drink, the masa base makes tejuino very filling. A small glass is usually very satisfying."

I've never heard of it Miss Karen....I'll ask my son who recently visited the Yucatan area....If it was available I'm sure he tried it!!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom