People and Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt is only used for cooking Pasta and soup...
My 500g Salt package lasts for more than a year..

until now no-one ever complained about too less salt... even my sister and a friend of mine, both salting almost everything haven't asked for salt... even if I ask because I know they use tons of salt..
I work a lot with herbs, this seems to be good...

but why are people doing this? I can't explain...
Would I be offended if they do so?
I don't know.. maybe if I know who does it.. if my sister would do so, I wouldn't be offended because it's her way to eat..
maybe with total strangers I would, but I do not invite strangers for dinner....

:)I dont mind if people want more salt I mind when they dont taste first.I put S&P on the table when I have guests.Im just saying the guy at Thanksgiving salted 3 times before he even picked up his fork.He would salt and I mean alot set down shaker then salt again set down shaker and salt again and I mean salted he wasn't sprinkeling he had the shaker upside down and really shaking shaker hard.I was quite perplexed he even looked at me once as I stared in disbelief I think he knew what I was thinking.

I almost always taste first. A few things I go ahead and salt especially at my MIL's since she doesn't use salt or pepper or spices. Her food is pretty bland. Pepper I usually add after cooking since DH doesn't like pepper (thanks to his mom's cooking).

Hubby and I both taste before seasoning. I am more apt to drag the pepper mill with me than anything. I tend to pepper things before tasting because I love pepper and know that there is probably not enough pepper on the dish for me.

If I was hosting guests and they asked for salt, it would not bother me one bit if they have tasted it or not. People are who people are and there is no getting past that. I'm not going to sweat the little things. Salt away I say, and then if you say something about the taste... well, it's all on you now! It probably tasted good till you put all that salt on it!!!

Interesting thread... good read!

jpmcgrew, If the "salter" complained about the taste after putting a ton of salt on...then I would tell him it was his hand that held the shaker. I don't cook with salt as DH has medical problems that would be compounded by salt, so I put S & P on table. I don't blame you for your upset, we as a society consume too much salt as it is!! Relax.
I generally taste before adding anything to my food, often asking for garlic instead of salt at a restaurant even!! The looks I get...

jpmcgrew, If the "salter" complained about the taste after putting a ton of salt on...then I would tell him it was his hand that held the shaker. I don't cook with salt as DH has medical problems that would be compounded by salt, so I put S & P on table. I don't blame you for your upset, we as a society consume too much salt as it is!! Relax.
I generally taste before adding anything to my food, often asking for garlic instead of salt at a restaurant even!! The looks I get...
:)He didnt complain in fact he went on and on how good it was.None of them there had ever had good stuffing,sweet potatoes real cranberry sauce or a good gravy.They ate everything with gusto they ate the sweet potatoes which they said they dont usually like and the cranberry sauce they were shocked that it was good as they have never had fresh before.

I do believe the man is salt deficient!!! I can only say "you are a wonderful cook" and he is going to have hardening of the arteries!!
I do believe Henry Ford judged people by the way they ate. Salting before tasting shows poor judgement!! Thus leaping to conclussions about business.

Last edited:
I do believe the man is salt deficient!!! I can only say "you are a wonderful cook" and he is going to have hardening of the arteries!!
I do believe Henry Ford judged people by the way they ate. Salting before tasting shows poor judgement!! Thus leaping to conclussions about business.
:)I also think Henry Ford did it for the same reason as they had already made a decision without getting the facts first.

Some people genuinely have diminished tasting capability. Some people genuinely like salty food. If you consider your food an art (like a painting or sculpture) you have to accept that some people are going to perceive it differently than you intended. Different isn't wrong, it's just different.

What I would find more disturbing than someone adding copious amounts of seasoning without tasting first...is someone who simply refuses to even try something, at all.

Yea, I can see maybe adding a shake or two before tasting, but it sounds like this guy is brining his food before he eats, no? LOL!

Fresh salt tasted different than salt cooked in the food. Since we all need less salt, I have reduced the salt I cook with to none or almost none. Then I add the salt I need at the table.

Good grief, I have thought about this for a while. the problem, or blessing, of this forum is that the questions make me think..

S&P are the only flavorings one has the option of adding at many dinners and at most restaurants. OK, sometimes there are other condiments including hot sauce, but at a 'dining' place it is typically S&P.

To be perfectly fair to those chefs who demure at placing the shakers on the table, I, as a diner, do not have the liberty of adding more garlic, or basil, or anything else.

If I think the dish could use a bit more cardamom I am out of luck. The chef got the choice of the amount of the stuff.

So I can understand why some chefs might say they should have the call on the amount of S&P. I will focus on salt.

To be contrary, salt (and pepper) have been for years seasonings that folks have learned to add or not, as they chose.

And salt is different than cardamom. It dissolves. And as such the added taste effect is almost instant.

It is basically the only option one has available for a diner in a restaurant to adjust the taste of a dish to his/her palate.

And gosh I have seen so many folks pour on the salt. It seems to be a flavoring that some people find better in lesser amounts (like us) and one that others seek in greater amounts.

My own opinion is put the shakers on the table.

I always taste before salting, but I love salt and often do add it (sometimes I munch on grains of crunchy kosher salt while cooking - luckily I have low blood pressure). When I was in college, I worked at a Navy officers' club, which offered a gourmet dinner for special occasions. They had individual salt and pepper shakers for each place at the table; I loved that idea so now I have 12 sets of small salt and pepper shakers that are always on the table (equal to the number of place settings, of course).

What drove me nuts once was at my brother-in-law's wedding reception. I was sitting with my sister-in-law (DH's sister) and her husband and three kids. She went around the table salting the food of all three kids before they had tasted anything! Never saw anything like it. So I guess that's how some people learn to do it :huh:

Wow.

I use very little salt when I cook at all. My parents find my food not salted enough, DH and I find it fine. I know I undersalt, I know my friends know I undersalt, there is always salt on the table, in the knowedge that I 'need' less salt than most. Even so I would notice negatively if someone who was not familiar wih my food, or was having a new thing at my home, salted without tasting. Irrational but true.

With reference to smoking, I did used to taste less well and I was a very light smoker. I still find this happens if friends and family who smoke are around. The smell of cigarettes oven over powers subtle flavours and food scents for me...whether I've smoked or if the person next to me has. *shrug* I deal with it.

Another perspective - I read once that salt counters bitter flavors in food, so I have a theory that people who use a lot of salt may be more sensitive to bitter flavors.

Another perspective - I read once that salt counters bitter flavors in food, so I have a theory that people who use a lot of salt may be more sensitive to bitter flavors.
:)Im very sensitive to bitter but never used salt to make it less bitter I use salt to improve the flavor of food.If I accidentally over salt a dish I know it and Dh makes sure I never hear the end of it.:glare:

My sister-in-law does this but she has a strange medical condition where she is supposed to eat quite a bit of salt daily.

I firmly believe it is just habit with people. It the salt wasn't there, they would probably ask for it anyway. To each his own.

:)Im very sensitive to bitter but never used salt to make it less bitter I use salt to improve the flavor of food.

That may be two different ways of saying the same thing :) If you're sensitive to bitter, and salt counters bitter flavor, then you would perceive a better flavor in the food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom