Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawgluver said:
I was taught to double space too. When I hit the space bar twice, I get a double space, not a space and a period. This goes for my iThings, laptop, and PC.

There is a setting that allows you to turn the auto period on or off. They call it "." on the iPhone.

There is a setting that allows you to turn the auto period on or off. They call it "." on the iPhone.

Not that I'm anal or anything but after the iPhone changes your double space into a period and a space, can you go back and add a second space?

Now that we have keyboards and not typewriters, yes you do. Sorry about that. It made me a bit mental too til I got the hang of it.

Mrs. McKillip will be spinning in her grave...that was the only thing she was able to teach me in three years.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I just found out that only one space belongs after a period, not two. Ugh. I've been doing it wrong my entire life!! Whatever teacher taught me that should go chew on a typewriter. Grr. Back to homework. Seems like I would rather do just about anything else lol

We learned to type when that was the style. We also learn to indent each paragraph five spaces. Now it is all block paragraphs with one line spaces between paragraphs. We learned two line spaces. Today there are some schools that no longer teach typing. By the time kids get to the uppper grade they have been using computers for many years and have developed their own style of using the keys. They probably can type faster than the teacher. And the keyboard for the computer is nothing like the typewriter. Some of the keys on the typewriter are not on the computer board. Have you noticed that the cent symbol has been replaced by the caret sign? And there is no backslash on the typewriter. If you were to read a secretary's handbood from yesrteryear, you would not believe the things we were taught that are no longer relevant today. When was the last time you indented the address on an envelope? Or put the postal code after the city and before the state abbreviation? Ex; Boston, 28 MA :angel:

We are having a major problem in the building. The doors are locked and at 10 p.m. if someone rings your buzzer you can answer them, but can't buzz them in. You have to go down to the front door and see who it is before you let them in. We also have a side and a back door. For those two doors, you can't be buzzed in at all. All the doors have a camera and runs 24/7 on everyone who comes and goes. One of the tenants has been propping one of the side doors with a piece of carboard. It keeps the door from locking. They other night my son caught a male trying to get into the building. When Spike left the building, he knocked the carboard out and the door locked.

The majority of the tenants here are females. And every apartment is a drug addicts heaven. When an addict needs a fix, they don't stop to read a prescription bottle for the name and directions. They just see "DRUGS"! We have had a very large turnover this past year of tenants. Most of the new tenants are amle and you can't seem to impress on them the need for security for the rest of us. We are not allowed to have even relatives sleep over without permission. I don't know if your child is a drug addict. And I am certainly not going to take your word that he/she is an upstanding citizen. One tenant has a daughter that is psychotic. Bt to talk to her you would think she is brilliant. She is on the barred list. She can't even visit her mother. Se is a danger to everyone in this building. They will be looking at the tapes over the weekend to see who the culprit is. I have the feeling I already know. One of the newer tenants who thinks he knows everything. And a heavy drinker to boot. His son is homeless and hasn't held a job in more than three years. :angel:

Andy M. said:
Not that I'm anal or anything but after the iPhone changes your double space into a period and a space, can you go back and add a second space?

Yes you can!

Another double-spacer here. Can't seem to change the habit (can't seem to want to, either).

One holdover oldie that I like and still use is shorthand -- I can write security code numbers/pin numbers, etc. in shorthand. Of course, it's not too useful on a computer.

I just read in a magazine artical that some scented candles emit formaldehyde and acetone, chemicals that can leave you feeling light -headed when inhaled, researchers say. All it rakes is two hours of burn time to feel the effects.

I just read in a magazine article that some scented candles emit formaldehyde and acetone, chemicals that can leave you feeling light -headed when inhaled, researchers say. All it rakes is two hours of burn time to feel the effects.

Remember the Gel candles? It turns out that it was very dangerous. If the flame burnt down to the gel, it ignited. Some folks lost their homes, and some received some very serious burns when the gel spilt on them. :angel:

If I get my hands of Spike, I am definitely going to do him some serious harm.

We got to talking about the batteries in my scooter. He told me' "Batteries have a memory. If you don't let it run down, it will lose it power when your instruments say it is full. Because you keep charging it when it doesn't really need it. So I should let it run down." So I did!

Where did it die? At the very end of the property. I had to release the battery and push the dang thing home. Some of it uphill. It is a good thing it didn't happen when I went to the store. That would call for his death instead of just harm. From now on I will do it my way. Plug it in every night and charge it. My memory tells me to do that. :angel:

If I get my hands of Spike, I am definitely going to do him some serious harm.

We got to talking about the batteries in my scooter. He told me' "Batteries have a memory. If you don't let it run down, it will lose it power when your instruments say it is full. Because you keep charging it when it doesn't really need it. So I should let it run down." So I did!

Where did it die? At the very end of the property. I had to release the battery and push the dang thing home. Some of it uphill. It is a good thing it didn't happen when I went to the store. That would call for his death instead of just harm. From now on I will do it my way. Plug it in every night and charge it. My memory tells me to do that. :angel:
It depends on the type of battery if there is a memory effect. Lots of people have heard about the memory effect, but it only happens with NiCd (nickel cadmium) rechargeable batteries.

Here's a link to show Spike: Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:angel: :angel:

It depends on the type of battery if there is a memory effect. Lots of people have heard about the memory effect, but it only happens with NiCd (nickel cadmium) rechargeable batteries.

Here's a link to show Spike: Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:angel: :angel:

I actually have two batteries. It is a big scooter. One of the batteries is a gel one. Acceptable for airline travel. I don't know what the other one is. It doesn't matter. He is going to one hurting kid. It is going to take more than just one slice of wet bred to slap him around. I may end up using the whole loaf. :angel:

I will have to get my manual out and read it. Should have done that in the first place. I did look at all the pretty pictures of folks using their scooter though. :angel:

Danged wrist is inflamed again. It's bad enough that I can't use my right hand to drink tea. I'm starting the Voltaren tonight. I think I better talk to my doctor about this. I can see from this thread that the last time it happened was 2012-11-18.

This is making me rethink the idea of getting a powerful mixer. I figured I wouldn't use it enough, but I can't even make banana bread at the moment.

The condo member who used to be our handy man opened the garage door manually. So, I got a chance to buy potatoes and a skirt for the Danish Club Mortens Goose dinner tomorrow night.

Do you have a side pedestrian door available so you can gain access? On the motor there is a rope hanging down. If you pull that rope it disengages the electrical part of the motor and you can open the door manually.

A quick story. I worked for a garage door company. One day they installed new doors in the Saugus fire department and gave them the preset remotes. All of a sudden we started to get calls from all the businesses on Route One. It seems every time the fire department went by, their overhead doors were opening by themselves. We always set all the remotes with the same code. It was up to the customer to change it. So all these businesses had the same code as the fire department. The only difference was the fire department had a more powerful remote so they could open the doors about a block away from the fire house on their return. It seems one of the firefighters had the remote in his pocket and was sitting on the open button. Thus all the doors were opening. :angel:

Do you have a side pedestrian door available so you can gain access? On the motor there is a rope hanging down. If you pull that rope it disengages the electrical part of the motor and you can open the door manually.

....:angel:
We have a side door, but that is only for exiting. I have access from my basement. I looked at the motor, but I couldn't see the rope/chain. I was shown once, but it involved turning off a switch and removing a chain from a sprocket or something like that.

Not being able to get in the side door is one of my vents. The teenagers leave it open so they can get back in. Then we sometimes get vandalism from people wandering in.

The condo administrators say that we can't put a lock that opens with a key from the outside because it's a fire safety door with a bar. I say that's nonsense. I have seen plenty of those doors that open with a bar from the inside, that can be unlocked from the outside. Don't these people pay attention at hospitals, in bars, some stores? I'm going to talk to my locksmith and ask for a quote.

We have a side door, but that is only for exiting. I have access from my basement. I looked at the motor, but I couldn't see the rope/chain. I was shown once, but it involved turning off a switch and removing a chain from a sprocket or something like that.

Not being able to get in the side door is one of my vents. The teenagers leave it open so they can get back in. Then we sometimes get vandalism from people wandering in.

The condo administrators say that we can't put a lock that opens with a key from the outside because it's a fire safety door with a bar. I say that's nonsense. I have seen plenty of those doors that open with a bar from the inside, that can be unlocked from the outside. Don't these people pay attention at hospitals, in bars, some stores? I'm going to talk to my locksmith and ask for a quote.

That is called a "crash bar."

Back
Top Bottom