Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there one for someone who doesn't have an i-anything? I am very susceptible to nightmares, thought I had them under control for many years. Was horrible when I was a kid.

I do not have an i-anything. I have a Tracfone, not an iphone. I have a Nook tablet and an android tablet, no ipad. I have 2 mp3 players but they are not ipods. We are very behind in the times PF.

I have very, very strange dreams...so strange I don't ever tell anyone about them. But they are not usually nightmares. I don't know where the stuff in my dreams comes from.

I do not have an i-anything. I have a Tracfone, not an iphone. I have a Nook tablet and an android tablet, no ipad. I have 2 mp3 players but they are not ipods. We are very behind in the times PF.

I have very, very strange dreams...so strange I don't ever tell anyone about them. But they are not usually nightmares. I don't know where the stuff in my dreams comes from.

I don't have an iAnything either, but that doesn't make me behind the times! :LOL: Actually, I have an old iPod Touch, but I don't use it anymore because have an Android phone and an Android tablet, both of which have free podcast apps. I don't need a Nook or Kindle because I have the free apps on my phone and tablet. As a former web technologies manager, I feel quite up-to-date technically ;)

No nightmares last night...at least nothing that scared me.

That's what I'm hoping, that Shrek will get some confidence and go mall-walking with me. He can stop anytime and watch me lap him several times. He really needs to get up and get moving.

A number of the residents here have them. They take them everywhere with them. The halls here are very long. For the residents who are down the southern end from the elevators, it is a loooong walk. Without that walker they would be stuck in their apartments or risk taking the stairs down to the first level. If you should decide to get one for him, hide his cane. Make sure you get the one with the brakes on both handles. And I am sure you know Medicare pays for 80% of the cost. That is what the deciding factor was for the residents here. A lot of them thought they had to pay for it. (I wish they would read that book they get each year.)

I have to laugh at the most hated person here. She get just a pension from the city and is not covered at all by SS. And her pension doesn't give her the same benefits. In fact her pension doesn't give her anything except her check. She is so ticked off all the time when she hears of all the things that are covered by Medicare. Inside I am laughing at her all the time. She has to pay the full premium for her medical insurance. Had she worked for the state, she would have medical coverage. Her check combined with her husband's SS income, puts her over the limit for Medicaid to pay her premium. She had to pay completely for her four wheel walker with the seat. :angel:

I don't have an iAnything either, but that doesn't make me behind the times! :LOL: Actually, I have an old iPod Touch, but I don't use it anymore because have an Android phone and an Android tablet, both of which have free podcast apps. I don't need a Nook or Kindle because I have the free apps on my phone and tablet. As a former web technologies manager, I feel quite up-to-date technically ;)
I only have an old i-Phone, that I don't use. I have an Android phone and Stirling has an Android tablet and a regular cell phone. I would love to get an Android tablet, but I just can't justify it. There's not much that a tablet would do that my phone doesn't do.

I only have an old i-Phone, that I don't use. I have an Android phone and Stirling has an Android tablet and a regular cell phone. I would love to get an Android tablet, but I just can't justify it. There's not much that a tablet would do that my phone doesn't do.

That's true, although it's nice to be able to show people bigger pictures and read in bed with the light off. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy Note - it came with a pen and S Note app that allows you to draw and write in digital notebooks, it converts written text to digital, you can add photos from the camera or the internet, etc. DH gave it to me for Christmas last year when I was about to take the Master Gardener class, so I could use it to take notes :wub:

Himself has been researching those....I guess they're like second-tier cell service providers? We have Verizon, and have had it for ages. He's been looking for similar services at a lower price. A lot of those "other" plans have you buy the phone (we just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 to replace our Droid 2 sets) and then pay for the monthly service. So far, test-driving the Samsung through Ting is looking promising. The one unit cost $200, so we'll end up spending about $400 for the two sets if we're happy with what we see during this 30-day trial period. After that our monthly service charge for the two phones will be $37 plus the government's shares, so about $45 a month. Or roughly 1/3 of what we've been paying for service on the two phones. Himself did the number crunching and figures our break-even time is just over four months.

Ting buys its time and service from Sprint. We had them before and had no problem. We switched to Verizon because the reception was better out here. Hmm, Verizon has now sold that tower we were using and our signal is so weak more than half the time (can you hear me NOW?)
:rolleyes: )they aren't worth keeping.

I really liked BakeChef's method - buy used smart phones on Ebay and don't get tied to a plan. With an unlocked phone, you can just buy a SIM card when you travel and pay for local service instead of hideously expensive roaming.

I really liked BakeChef's method - buy used smart phones on Ebay and don't get tied to a plan. With an unlocked phone, you can just buy a SIM card when you travel and pay for local service instead of hideously expensive roaming.
This Samsung is used. Himself got it off eBay. He's been looking for a replacement Droid for me ever since mine started to act up well over a year ago. Seems like every time he found something he liked it was gone *poof* because he wasn't fast enough. Probably bakechef nabbing it. :-p Now those phones are becoming scarce as people buy them up. If they buy too new a generation of phone they don't qualify for the same kind of data plan we had (unlimited). One problem with my old phone was that if I connected to WiFi the phone went off into its own little world. Got spasms. Couldn't use it at all. As long as this phone works just right (so far so good) we'll be using WiFi a lot and won't need to use the data. You sign up for the minimum you think you'll use. IF you go over, they bump the rate on that one function (voice/data/text) to the next price range for just that month. Your next billing cycle is back to what you signed up for. Himself will monitor our usage like a hawk; if he sees any regular pattern he can adjust our usage amounts on a month-by-month basis. And from what Himself told me, there really is no roaming charge on this service. If you wander off the Ting-linked Sprint tower and move to another provider's tower its all good. No "roaming charge". Huh.

After all that, all I can say is this phone is really cool! :)

This Samsung is used. Himself got it off eBay. He's been looking for a replacement Droid for me ever since mine started to act up well over a year ago. Seems like every time he found something he liked it was gone *poof* because he wasn't fast enough. Probably bakechef nabbing it. :-p Now those phones are becoming scarce as people buy them up. If they buy too new a generation of phone they don't qualify for the same kind of data plan we had (unlimited). One problem with my old phone was that if I connected to WiFi the phone went off into its own little world. Got spasms. Couldn't use it at all. As long as this phone works just right (so far so good) we'll be using WiFi a lot and won't need to use the data. You sign up for the minimum you think you'll use. IF you go over, they bump the rate on that one function (voice/data/text) to the next price range for just that month. Your next billing cycle is back to what you signed up for. Himself will monitor our usage like a hawk; if he sees any regular pattern he can adjust our usage amounts on a month-by-month basis. And from what Himself told me, there really is no roaming charge on this service. If you wander off the Ting-linked Sprint tower and move to another provider's tower its all good. No "roaming charge". Huh.

After all that, all I can say is this phone is really cool! :)

You can buy the newest and greatest phone outright and still keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon, just as long as they don't subsidize it. You just have to go to the store and purchase a 4g LTE SIM card and tell them NOT to change anything about your plan, just activate the card on your number. I have done it! I still have unlimited on both phones.

I really like the look of Ting, I wish more carriers operated that way.

Last edited:
You can buy the newest and greatest phone outright and still keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon, just as long as they don't subsidize it. You just have to go to the store and purchase a 4g LTE SIM card and tell them NOT to change anything about your plan, just activate the card on your number. I have done it! I still have unlimited on both phones.

I really like the look of Ting, I wish more carriers operated that way.

Good to know, bakechef! Thanks!

You can buy the newest and greatest phone outright and still keep your unlimited data plan with Verizon, just as long as they don't subsidize it...

It's been my understanding that your monthly payment on a two year contract pays for the discounted phone. They sell you a phone for a low price then inflate the monthly contract price to get their money back. So if you buy a phone separately then continue your contract, you're paying twice.

It's been my understanding that your monthly payment on a two year contract pays for the discounted phone. They sell you a phone for a low price then inflate the monthly contract price to get their money back. So if you buy a phone separately then continue your contract, you're paying twice.
I agree that the monthly payments are inflated to cover the cost of discounted phones. But, I don't pay less once my contract is over. I don't see any plans that are cheaper if you don't get a discounted phone. It may be different in the US.

With Fido, my service provider, and I believe other Canadian cell phone companies, there is a penalty for switching away before fulfilling a contract that includes a discounted phone. The amount depends on how many months are left and how much the company figures they subsidized the phone. It works that way in Denmark too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom