Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes, Dawg. Good luck getting this fixed. I hope it's something easily remedied, and not TMJ which I understand can be ongoing.

I guess it's time to break out your favorite soups recipes. Take it easy!

Thanks Cave and Zhizara. I told the dentist last time that I thought I had an infection. Somethng just didn't feel right. I'll ask about an antibiotic.

And I was hoping for a nice juicy steak tonight! Though not in the blender....

Last edited:
Dawg, if you notice any swelling before you can get to your dentist on Monday, you should go to Urgent Care or the ER. If it's an abscess, you'll need to get some antibiotics right away if you can. They're nothing to mess with. I had one several years ago that got inflamed and infected really fast, my whole cheek got puffy, and naturally it was right before my dentist's 3 day weekend. :glare: Urgent care gave me some strong antibiotics that helped reduce it till I could see my dentist. Take care, I hope you don't have to go through your whole weekend eating soup. :(

The house we had in Spain was over-run with ants and the only successful treatment was borax laid where they were getting into the house. Worked wonders. Borax is no longer available in this country due to it's toxicity

Read the ingredient list on 20 Mule Team Borax. :It is still available here. angel:

Last edited:
When I awoke this morning I found I can't close the right side of my jaw without a lot of pain. Not sure if it's TMJ or some type of infection. I had a crown put in last summer, and afterward the gum behind the crown felt weird. When I got my teeth cleaned a couple months ago, X-rays didn't show anything unusual, and dentist didn't think it was anything. But today I can't chew! Guess we're not going out to dinner tonight.

Well that stinks, I hope you get this figured out.

When I awoke this morning I found I can't close the right side of my jaw without a lot of pain... But today I can't chew! Guess we're not going out to dinner tonight.
Pardon my French, but that's a hell of a diet plan! Hope you're feeling better soon. Like you said, steak in a blender just wouldn't work.

Thanks guys. Got up today, and my jaw had unlocked! I can chew again! Very strange.

Thanks guys. Got up today, and my jaw had unlocked! I can chew again! Very strange.

As I said----- sometimes they just 'cure' themselves. Often when the person relaxes about it (such as sleeping).

Glad it all worked out.

I think I would still get it checked out. It could happen again if you don't really know what caused it.

I think so too. It was hard going through a whole day not being able to chew! I didn't think my Friday night dinner of applesauce and Greek yogurt was really worthy of the What's for Dinner thread.

I think I would still get it checked out. It could happen again if you don't really know what caused it.

Dawg---- be very careful if you do go to a dentist to find out what happened.
TMJ disorders are often a cash cow for some dentists. I know because I worked for one.

There actually could be something that shows on an x-ray that might need attending to. One of those is a 'slipped disc' between the mandible and the maxilla. It produces a clicking sound.

I've lived with this crepitus for decades and never had anything done for it. On the very rare times my jaw got 'stuck' just heat and relaxing helped it.

But some dentists will tell you that needs to be 'adjusted'.

Be VERY careful.

Dawg---- be very careful if you do go to a dentist to find out what happened.
TMJ disorders are often a cash cow for some dentists. I know because I worked for one.

There actually could be something that shows on an x-ray that might need attending to. One of those is a 'slipped disc' between the mandible and the maxilla. It produces a clicking sound.

I've lived with this crepitus for decades and never had anything done for it. On the very rare times my jaw got 'stuck' just heat and relaxing helped it.

But some dentists will tell you that needs to be 'adjusted'.

Be VERY careful.

Thanks Cave. My dentist and hygenist didn't see anything wrong, and both chalked it up to TMJ, as in there was nothing they could do about it. I still think it might have had something to do with the crown and possible infection or an allergy to the new material that was used in it. I'll have to be even more assertive.

Thanks Cave. My dentist and hygenist didn't see anything wrong, and both chalked it up to TMJ, as in there was nothing they could do about it. I still think it might have had something to do with the crown and possible infection or an allergy to the new material that was used in it. I'll have to be even more assertive.

I think you were jsut talking too much, and your jaw muscles were rebelling for a short time.:LOL:

Seriously, I'm happy that the problem corrected itself.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think you were jsut talking too much, and your jaw muscles were rebelling for a short time.:LOL:

Seriously, I'm happy that the problem corrected itself.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yeah, that must be it, Chief :LOL: If that's the case, you've never met DH! He can talk a blue streak around me! (and maybe you too!)

Last edited:
Poor spelling by people who should know better!

I'm not talking about our conversations in a forum or private emails!

No, I'm talking about poor spelling by people who make their living by writing.

"Depricate" was used in an article I just read. Even spell check would ''bleep" at that. Did the author not bother to double check?

"Hire Wire" was used instead of "High Wire" in another article. Sure, spell check would let that through (being ignorant when it comes to grammar, just as I am) but a simple read-through should have caught the eye of someone!

What would Edwin Newman think?

"In 1974 Newman's first book, Strictly Speaking: Will America be the Death of English? reached Number 1 on the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list."

Edwin Newman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

O.K. now I've shown my Codgerly-ness again! :ohmy:

Yep, this is truly a petty vent. I lost 5 straight chess games to my computer. I'm used to winning, or at least tying. Now I'm just feeling stupid.:(

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm not talking about our conversations in a forum or private emails!

No, I'm talking about poor spelling by people who make their living by writing.

"Depricate" was used in an article I just read. Even spell check would ''bleep" at that. Did the author not bother to double check?

"Hire Wire" was used instead of "High Wire" in another article. Sure, spell check would let that through (being ignorant when it comes to grammar, just as I am) but a simple read-through should have caught the eye of someone!

What would Edwin Newman think?

"In 1974 Newman's first book, Strictly Speaking: Will America be the Death of English? reached Number 1 on the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list."

Edwin Newman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

O.K. now I've shown my Codgerly-ness again! :ohmy:

I get upset about local news reports I get in my e-mail. The spelling and grammar are so bad, makes you wonder how they graduated out of college...then I remember they are updates from the TV news, they don't HAVE to know how to spell.

Back
Top Bottom