Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carol, prior to the invention of the birth control pill, you could go to prison for even saying the words "birth control." And that included your doctor. You could be fitted for a diaphragm for the sole purpose of preventing the spreading of STD. Condoms were purchased for the same purpose.
Okay I am off my soapbox. :angel:
. :angel:
Addie, I have to admire you, now you are also a medical expert. :LOL: I cannot abide any advice that is dangerous.
For your information, a diaphragm will NOT prevent STD! It is only a barrier to prevent conception.

What is private and what is public? People have lost their jobs due to things they have posted to Facebook. Now, there is the camp that says it was a private thing to people on their friend's list only. There are others who say what I say, and that the internet is a public sphere and is not private. These are social parameters that are still being worked out. As in, there's no law about them at this time.
I have checked. If I make a post "friends only", it isn't visible. Of course if someone hacks FB, it isn't private and if the government wants to see it and FB lets them, it's visible. But, to the general public, it's private.

Those people who lose jobs over stuff they post to FB were usually "outed" by a "friend". There is nothing stopping someone from taking a screenshot and sending that to the boss. Of course, some people aren't careful of who is on their "friends lists" and some even have their boss on that list.

I have checked. If I make a post "friends only", it isn't visible. Of course if someone hacks FB, it isn't private and if the government wants to see it and FB lets them, it's visible. But, to the general public, it's private.

Those people who lose jobs over stuff they post to FB were usually "outed" by a "friend". There is nothing stopping someone from taking a screenshot and sending that to the boss. Of course, some people aren't careful of who is on their "friends lists" and some even have their boss on that list.

Well, she wasn't too selective about who she posted it to, because a friend of mine, who has only met this woman twice, saw it on Facebook as well.

At any rate, I am the type of person who keeps my Facebook locked tight. I have less than a hundred people on my friends list. I will not have anyone associated with work on my list. I do not have anyone that I go to school with on my list (I'm going back for the third time. I'm just collecting degrees, it seems), because they could very well become future co-workers/bosses. It is not a private space. It's akin of being at a busy party with everyone you know there, standing on the table and shouting something out.

And, if the windows were fixed by the insurance company, what's the problem?

And, she could have been polite about it. She did not have to be rude. But that seems to be her MO. There's been other issues with her, and quite frankly, I'm through.

Not to mention it's a little underhanded to sell a car and not disclose its history (insurance paid for the windows).

If insurance paid to repair/replace the windows, why is it even an issue? I don't think any buyer would care as long as they were repaired properly and worked properly. It's not the same as an accident that involved a bent frame. That should be disclosed.

Addie, I have to admire you, now you are also a medical expert. :LOL: I cannot abide any advice that is dangerous.
For your information, a diaphragm will NOT prevent STD! It is only a barrier to prevent conception.

And there lies the problem. I know that, the doctor knows that and so do you. The legislature obviously didn't. Don't ask for birth control or you will go to prison. What were they thinking of when our legislature wrote that little gem. It included all methods of birth control. Or what they thought were. Of course there were no women sitting with that august group of men. And the law was still on the books when the pill became available. So you told your doctor that you were having excessive menstrual cycles. The pill could control that problem. Both the patient and the doctor knew it was always a lie no matter what you ask for.

If someone overheard you say the words "birth control" in public they could report you and you would face the possibility of prison. "Birth Control" was right up there with using those four letter words that were considered foul language in public. Dirty, dirty words. :angel:

If insurance paid to repair/replace the windows, why is it even an issue? I don't think any buyer would care as long as they were repaired properly and worked properly. It's not the same as an accident that involved a bent frame. That should be disclosed.

Exactly. I don't understand why it was a big deal in the first place. Unless it is for legal reasons. They did apprehend the kid that did it, and charges were made. But if that was the case, why didn't she just say, "hey, for legal reasons I can't talk about it, so I deleted your post." I'm just confused about the whole situation.

Ok. Venting. About two different things.

First. The stove situation. So, two years ago my in-laws bought a new gas range. Their 'old' range was four years old and a beautiful 30", double oven KitchenAid. They asked my husband if we would like it. He, without saying anything to me, told them no, ours worked fine. Says the man who only knows how to cook eggs and homefries.

Well, our range wasn't fine. One of the big burners didn't work, and still doesn't. And, it's only a 24" single oven. I mean, upgrade! But by the time I heard about it, they had already given it to someone else.

Nickee, my mother had an upstairs neighbor whose husband felt that if it was good enough for his mother, then it should be good enough for his wife. Of course his mother was an immigrant that crowded seven kids into a slum apartment and cooked with one hot plate. And that is how Hazel for years fed her family. Finally she smartened up. One pan, one burner and one ingredient. Today, a veggie, tomorrow a piece of meat. After about two weeks of this, he got the message and bought her a second hand stove. And it HAD GAS! She was in heaven. Of course the electric bill went down, but now he had a gas bill to pay each month. And he never let her forget it until the day she filed for divorce.

No, I am not suggesting that you go to that extreme. But I thought you might enjoy the story. Her oldest child had already moved out and the youngest was old enough to understand why she was leaving. Even though they loved their father, they all agreed he was a jerk of the biggest kind. He stayed in their six room apartment alone and she and her remaining children moved into a four room apartment. They were all so happy. Except for him. He never did understand why she left him. As he was wont to tell anyone who would listen.

Eventually she found someone else, remarried and he treated her and the remaining kids like they were royalty. Even paid for two of them to go through college. :angel:

Last edited:
Nickee, my mother had an upstairs neighbor whose husband felt that if it was good enough for his mother, then it should be good enough for his wife. Of course his mother was an immigrant that crowded seven kids into a slum apartment and cooked with one hot plate. And that is how Hazel for years fed her family. Finally she smartened up. One pan, one burner and one ingredient. Today, a veggie, tomorrow a piece of meat. After about two weeks of this, he got the message and bought her a second hand stove. And it HAD GAS! She was in heaven. Of course the electric bill went down, but now he had a gas bill to pay each month. And he never let her forget it until the day she filed for divorce.

No, I am not suggesting that you go to that extreme. But I thought you might enjoy the story. Her oldest child had already moved out and the youngest was old enough to understand why she was leaving. Even though they loved their father, they all agreed he was a jerk of the biggest kind. He stayed in their six room apartment alone and she and her remaining children moved into a four room apartment. They were all so happy. Except for him. He never did understand why she left him. As he was wont to tell anyone who would listen.

Eventually she found someone else, remarried and he treated her and the remaining kids like they were royalty. Even paid for two of them to go through college. :angel:

Hehe. Definitely won't be going to that extreme. He fixed it yesterday. Something about the igniter was wonky. I don't know the details, I just grabbed my wine and went into the study to "keep the dog out of the way". He gets grumpy when he fixes things. :) He's really not much of a handyman (which is funny 'cos he's an engineer), so it always takes twice as long to do something than it should.

Hehe. Definitely won't be going to that extreme. He fixed it yesterday. Something about the igniter was wonky. I don't know the details, I just grabbed my wine and went into the study to "keep the dog out of the way". He gets grumpy when he fixes things. :) He's really not much of a handyman (which is funny 'cos he's an engineer), so it always takes twice as long to do something than it should.

If he can fix things, then he is definitely a "keeper". Even if it takes twice as long. It just gives you more time to enjoy your wine! :angel:

Well, she wasn't too selective about who she posted it to, because a friend of mine, who has only met this woman twice, saw it on Facebook as well.

At any rate, I am the type of person who keeps my Facebook locked tight. I have less than a hundred people on my friends list. I will not have anyone associated with work on my list. I do not have anyone that I go to school with on my list (I'm going back for the third time. I'm just collecting degrees, it seems), because they could very well become future co-workers/bosses. It is not a private space. It's akin of being at a busy party with everyone you know there, standing on the table and shouting something out.

And, if the windows were fixed by the insurance company, what's the problem?

And, she could have been polite about it. She did not have to be rude. But that seems to be her MO. There's been other issues with her, and quite frankly, I'm through.
I agree that you have to be careful what you post and who is on your friends lists. Obviously this woman doesn't understand that.

Yes, she definitely should have been polite about it. Well, you found out more about her character. I would be through with her too.

Nowadays, even if you aren't on FB or other social media, you have far less privacy than we had when we were young. Cameras on phones are ubiquitous. Someone can take a picture and post it on their FB page. Youthful indiscretions can become public very easily. I've heard of someone drinking to excess at a party and the boss got to see the photos, just as an example

I've really cut down on my friends' list on FB over the last couple of years. And even at my current list of about 25 friends I still feel I'm overexposed.
I also have many friends and family members who don't want anything to do with FB.

When my stove that I loved needed repaired, DH priced the parts and they were almost as much as a new one. So we sold it (got $20 for it) and got a new one. Then another new one after that. None has ever baked as good as that old broken down one.

I have a FB account but all that's on it is my maiden name. No friends, no pics, no comments. I got 1 friend request which I ignored. Step-daughter set it up for me so I could look at her account. Then we figured out that it was just as easy for me to sign in to her account to look at it. DUH!

I have a FB account but all that's on it is my maiden name. No friends, no pics, no comments. I got 1 friend request which I ignored. Step-daughter set it up for me so I could look at her account. Then we figured out that it was just as easy for me to sign in to her account to look at it. DUH!
That only works if there is enough trust. ;)

Why don't people unfold their paper currencies when handing money over? Half folds I can deal with but I don't like when customers hand me money that's been folded down to a quarter their size or even smaller as they pull them out of their purses, wallets, or pockets. I politely ask them to unfold them if they're folded down to less than 1/8 their size.
But of course, there are also many considerate customers that'll unfold the money before handing them over to you.

Last edited:
Why don't people unfold their paper currencies when handing money over? Half folds I can deal with but I don't like when customers hand me money that's been folded down to a quarter their size or even smaller as they pull them out of their purses, wallets, or pockets. I politely ask them to unfold them if they're folded down to less than 1/8 their size.
But of course, there are also many considerate customers that'll unfold the money before handing them over to you.
Because some people are inconsiderate, just don't think.

I don't understand why anyone would keep their money folded more than once, unless they are jamming it into a coin purse. Folded once to fit in a small section of a wallet (particularly when dealing with more than one kind of currency) I understand. I have on rare occasion, when in a big hurry, jammed paper money in a pocket, but if you don't put all the bills together in a pocket, they tend to hop out when you take anything out of that pocket. I sometimes keep bills in a pocket, but always in one wad. I have to unfold it to take off one or more bills.

Last edited:
My mother became a folder when her vision started to fade. By using various folds and then storing bills in various compartments in her wallet she could keep track of the various denominations.

I only fold when I'm trying to slip someone a gift or donation and don't want them to know how much or how little I'm giving them until after I'm gone! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The worst folders are teenagers. Many keep their bills folded down to a size of a quarter.

Also, some adult males keep their currencies crumbled in their pockets. It's funny to watch them pull money out of their pockets and lay them on the counter.....like little kids. These people don't like cqrrying wallets.

Last edited:
I'm just the opposite. I want all my bills laying flat in my wallet, arranged in denomination order, all facing in the same direction, all right side up.

On occasion, when it's really busy at the checkout, I take the bills I get in change and stick them in my pocket so I don't hold up the line arranging my wallet.

My two daughters, who both started out working retail, taught me to hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier when I pay. They are well beyond retail now but I still hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier.

Last edited:
I'm just the opposite. I want all my bills laying flat in my wallet, arranged in denomination order, all facing in the same direction, all right side up.

On occasion, when it's really busy at the checkout, I take the bills I get in change and stick them in my pocket so I don't hold up the line arranging my wallet.

My two daughters, who both started out working retail, taught me to hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier when I pay. They are well beyond retail now but I still hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier.
:ROFLMAO: You just described me. But, when you stick those bills in your pocket, aren't they all together and folded once or twice?

I got ripped off at the bank. I counted my money carefully while standing in line. I handed the pile of twenties to the cashier. She arranged all the bills neatly while counting. She counted one twenty less than I had counted. I thought I must have miscounted. Then it happened again. I figure with all that rearranging of my money, she managed to drop a twenty somewhere. That was when I started arranging my money neatly. It never happened again, even though I kept going to that bank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom