Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up in a different era. When I was 14 I went on my first airplane. Mom dressed my up in a shirt, tie and sports jacket to fly on the plane.

Today I still tend to overdress for occasions. When I go to a "classy" restaurant, I wear slacks and a shirt with a collar. Most people do. When I see a guy come in wearing jean shorts, a muscle beach shirt and a beat up old cap, It bothers me. I realize that's my problem. If it's OK with the restaurant, it should be OK with me.
35 years ago slacks and and shirt with a collar would have been considered awfully casual for a classy resto. :)

Believe me, I don't know enough about Facebook to do anything I shouldn't be doing. What could I do? All I do is look at pictures my family members have posted. I don't post any comments.
What could someone do? Post rude comments; post embarrassing pictures; make inflammatory posts; harass people on the friends list; change profile info; etc. etc.

Since we're talking about dress up attire that's no longer done, even for dress up, how about bare legs with dresses? I sure never liked panty hose, but they were better than nothing! I refuse to wear a dress now because of that. Heels without hose feel terrible, and flawless legs are rare even for the very young. There's just something so unfinished about someone in a dress and no hose.

Kayelle, the "no-stockings" thing bugs me, too. It annoys me to see pretty, all-dressed-up TV anchors with their pricey dresses...and bare legs. Yuck. Looks completely unfinished.

Not sure what you meant
It's long and theological, Charlie. Check your Personal Messages.

Last edited:
Believe me, I don't know enough about Facebook to do anything I shouldn't be doing. What could I do? All I do is look at pictures my family members have posted. I don't post any comments.

I am there only to see the pictures of the grandkids. Every so often one of their friends will post something I consider inappropriate. I will remark that Mary (not the real name) please remind your friends that your grandmother reads this stuff. That is all I ever have to say about it. One of them told her friends that her grandmother was very old fashion. So please don't use bad language. Or she will yell at me for having friends with no class. She then sent me a private email telling me she hopes her little white lie works. She doesn't like it when they swear either. But it works. I am seeing less and less swearing on my grandkids sites.

My grandson's wife watches what is posted on her daughter's site real closely. If she doesn't like what is on there, she will block that person from viewing her daughter's site or posting on it. She checks her site every day. Sometimes two or three times a day. I have to give her credit. She is one heck of a Mom. :angel:

Pirate and I got into a conversation one day. He asked me about the dress code when I was just a kid. We were watching an old B&W movie from the 40's. He thought it was so neat that all the men wore hats and tipped them if they passed a women. Men wore suits, women dresses, except during WWII when they went to work in the factories. Women put on a hat just to go grocery shopping. Gloves were an absolute! And they always wore heels. Sensible heels. Even little kids had a dress code.

We always wore boots when it was raining. Sensible shoes, go to church shoes on Sunday. We always changed our clothes when we came home from school, or from church. Even little girls wore a slip. Boys wore T shirts under their shirts.

Baseball players wore baseball caps. Everyone else wore a hat. Pirate always states that he wishes he lived in that time. So much so, that I may give up watching any movie from the 40's when he is home.

Just a footnote. My second husband came from the south. During the whole time we were married, he always stood up when I entered the room. Along with a decent dress code, proper manners seem to have gone out the window. :angel:

I think you're right! I remember the time when Mom and I went out shopping and we dressed nicely. I wasn't allowed to wear jeans until college. They always felt uncomfortable so Mom made me long skirts I wore with decent shirts.

However....I'd jump at a chance to hear Shumann any time, even if I need to wear a.............oh no never mind! LOL!

What could someone do? Post rude comments; post embarrassing pictures; make inflammatory posts; harass people on the friends list; change profile info; etc. etc.

Well, I would do none of those things. Not to my step-daughter or anyone, for that matter. I know there are people who do such things, but I don't understand what happiness they get out of that. I just want to look at the pages of my relatives, look at the kids pics, etc. I do not comment. They don't even know I'm there. I also don't pay any attention to comments that others make to my step-daughter. Those are her friends and none of my business. She's in her 40's, way beyond needing or wanting my interference. Actually, I haven't noticed anything innapropriate. Off color maybe, but they are adults.

The reason I don't want to do this with my own account is that when I set it up, I instantly got a friend request from a cousin who hasn't bothered with me all our lives. All of a sudden she wants to be friends on Facebook. If I friend her, I will get friend requests from all the other relatives that are on her list of friends. If you couldn't be friends with me in 69 years, don't start now.

Last edited:
When I met DH back in the 70s I didn't own a pair of jeans. He rarely wore dress pants and I think I made him uncomfortable being in slacks all the time. I now own jeans but still wear a lot of slacks but it doesn't bother him now. He wears what he wants and I wear what I want.

My grandson's daughter is only 11 y.o. so her parents keep a close eye on her. She has long natural blonde hair and huge blue eyes. An absolute stunner. Scary! And she is just discovering boys. Oh dear. Her father is having a quiet mental fit! :angel:

Carol, I didn't think YOU would do any of those things. But the ability to do those things is why it requires trust to give someone a password to FB.

I got tired of having so many passwords for all the sites I go to. So now (even against the advice of all the experts) I have just one password for everywhere I go. The only difference is I sometimes will capitalize it. So if I put it in wrong, I know that I have to use a capital at the beginning. My son Spike knows what it is. He needs to know so he can notify people in the event of my demise. And for the financial sites such as PayPal.

Spike also needs to know my computer password because I can screw up this computer really bad. He is the one I run to for HELP! I don't know what I would do without him. When he is finished fixing it, he walks around shaking his head. Every so often he will give me a look. Like as if he is saying, "I don't believe you did that."

I have done some things to protect my computer against a possible hacker. Such as having the first name in my list of phone numbers as a7Aa1aBa for the name and then an overseas type phone number. When a hacker is trying to get in, they often go for the address book. And they start with the letter. This was on the advice of a friend that helped install and now works on their system for 911 for the county where she lives. She has a Doctorate in Computer Sciences. So I do trust her when she says something about computers. :angel:

Last edited:
Our idiot neighbor decided to mow his lawn with his huge rider at 7:30 this morning. We have rules in the subdivison covenants that state that no mowing, weed whacking or other equipment is to be used before 9 am, but this guy doesn't feel any of the rules apply to him. I thought about going out and ripping him a new one, but he wouldn't care.

Last edited:
Our idiot neighbor decided to mow his lawn with his huge rider at 7:30 this morning. We have rules in the subdivison covenants that state that no mowing, weed whacking or other equipment is to be used before 9 am, but this guy doesn't feel any of the rules apply to him. I thought about going out and ripping him a new one, but he wouldn't care.

Are there any penalties for this infraction?

Nope. This is the same guy who parked all his 6 landscaping trucks in his driveway. The County Attourney had to ban his equipment after we all complained as we're zoned residential, not business, and even though the sheriff banged on his door every day, he refused to answer. They also don't pay the rec assoc. dues, but still use the pool, they just show up with the family when someone else is there and the gate is unlocked. He's also wiped out a number of my pine tree branches with his trucks and he and his wife have both taken out my mailbox several times, though his wife is the only one to admit to it.

Lovely folks :LOL:

Last edited:
El Pollo Loco is a fast food drive thru. I like their chicken. Upon reading the tons of wasteful junk mail I receive every week, I saw an El Pollo Loco coupon that read like this....

A big $5 on the top left corner of the coupon along with a picture and words saying a 2 pc. meal.

It only saves you $5 with that coupon when you read the fine print and order a ton of other items with that so called 2 pc meal $5 coupon. Not fair. It's like, they draw you in with a promise of savings, but you have to read the really small fine print on that small coupon. Not fair!

Last edited:
El Pollo Loco is a fast food drive thru. I like their chicken. Upon reading the tons of wasteful junk mail I receive every week, I saw an El Pollo Loco coupon that read like this....

A big $5 on the top left corner of the coupon along with a picture and words saying a 2 pc. meal.

It only saves you $5 with that coupon when you read the fine print and order a ton of other items with that so called 2 pc meal $5 coupon. Not fair. It's like, they draw you in with a promise of savings, but you have to read the really small fine print on that small coupon. Not fair!

Like I always get coupons for items that I usually buy. Read the small print before you start cutting out. "For use at Walmart only." I don't shop Walmart and don't even have one close by. I can find the same coupons without the small print in other flyers I receive. I now have the Walmart flyers blocked. :angel:

When I complained to the local district manager, she almost said the same...read the small print! I still say they got me driving to El Pollo Loco with that coupon under almost false pretenses. Lesson learned.

A coupon exclaiming a 2 pc meal with a large $5 printed in the top left corner of that coupon...come on! Not fair. The print is tiny. Clever if devious advertising, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom