Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know if I can bring my own food on board? I am a diabetic and just graze for most of the day to keep my sugars level. I am not too fond of airport food. And besides, it can be expensive buying food there. :angel:

Does anyone know if I can bring my own food on board? I am a diabetic and just graze for most of the day to keep my sugars level. I am not too fond of airport food. And besides, it can be expensive buying food there. :angel:

Depends. If it's liquid, like salad dressing or condiments, it will need to go in your 1 quart ziplock. You can bring stuff like carrot sticks and sandwiches from home. There are several good websites with suggestions as to what to take for food. Here's an idea: https://consumerist.com/2016/06/27/...foods-you-can-bring-through-airport-security/ I always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain after clearing security as I don't feel like paying $5 for a bottle of water.

And I too love the TSA precheck, though our closest little airport doesn't always honor it. When they do, it's a breeze getting through. We also have Global Entry, so can blow through the huge lines going through immigration.

Last edited:
You save yourself a lot of hassle when you fly if you get yourself TSA Prechecked. It's only $80 and it's good for 5 years. You skip all that nonsense with taking off shoes, opening your laptop, showing your bag full of lotions, etc.

The process is simple. Fill out an application online, then go to a TSA spot and get fingerprinted. In just a couple days you have your clearance number. You still have to show ID and put carry-ons through the scanner, but you get to skip the real aggravating stuff - and you get to go in the shorter line.

If you only make 1 round trip per year, it comes to just $8 per flight for the convenience. If you travel more, the cost per flight drops to almost nothing.

BTW Charlie, I know that skateboards are banned on Delta as carry-on, and I think several of the other carriers. It's up to the individual airline, not a TSA issue.

The last time I flew, which was just under a year ago, I did the pre-check-in on-line where I had to fill out social, DL#, DOB, and some other info at the time I bought the ticket. When I went to go through security, the initial TSA agent sent me down another line than she had been sending everyone else and I thought #*$# I'm going to have to go through one of those invasive searches. Nope, I just had to walk through a metal detector and my stuff went on the conveyor, no opening luggage, taking shoes off or anything else. No waiting, no muss, no fuss. I talked to one of the TSA agents on the other side and asked why I got such quick treatment, not that I was complaining, just curious. She said because I did the on-line pre-flight info that I was already cleared. Didn't have to pay any extra for it.

Depends. If it's liquid, like salad dressing or condiments, it will need to go in your 1 quart ziplock. You can bring stuff like carrot sticks and sandwiches from home. There are several good websites with suggestions as to what to take for food. Here's an idea: https://consumerist.com/2016/06/27/...foods-you-can-bring-through-airport-security/ I always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain after clearing security as I don't feel like paying $5 for a bottle of water.

And I too love the TSA precheck, though our closest little airport doesn't always honor it. When they do, it's a breeze getting through. We also have Global Entry, so can blow through the huge lines going through immigration.

Here at Boston's Logan Airport, all foreign and domestic planes coming from another country, that are carrying foreigners go to Terminal E. American citizens returning home go to their own sections of Customs, foreigners to another.

Because I can't walk more than about ten feet, I have to use a wheelchair. I don't have to stand in line. Handicap folks are breezed through. I just have to let them know before I arrive at the airport, that I am handicapped and need assistance. I am also the first passenger they let off the plane. My wheelchair is waiting for me. And off to grab my luggage. The airport has volunteers that push wheelchair passengers to their destination. They depend on tips for their income. I am very grateful for their service and always tip well. Airports are huge and they do a lot of walking just depending on tips. :angel:

Last edited:
Exactly! It should be a requirement that before reporting to work, that they read the latest rules update of the Home Security. There is absolutely no consistent interpretation of the daily rules of what can and what can't be brought on board. :angel:

It's not the job of the flight attendants to determine what is brought on board :rolleyes:

BTW Charlie, I know that skateboards are banned on Delta as carry-on, and I think several of the other carriers. It's up to the individual airline, not a TSA issue.

It was Delta.
Also I thought pre-check is only good for one year

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I tell you some waiters have hutzpa. How do you say that in English. He did not ask me how I want my hamburger and I totally forgot to mention that I like it as row as they would make it. He tells me I wanted well done. He says I have it on the ticket. He is lucky I was too hungry and with the family. I would have put that plate over his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Toilet bowl cleaner bottle caps. :glare:

I completely understand the reason for making the cap childproof. But why do they have to make it impossible for someone with slightly arthritic hands to open it??? :mad:

I am disliking my neighbors today. Everyday between 6.55 and 7. 20 an alarm goes of to wake the next door nutter, it take that long before it shuts off. Mine goes off at 7.00, I wake at 6.55 from his alarm, even on Saturdays. And my "posh, I am so much better then you neighbor" started vacuuming sludge out of their house at 7.30 , it still going on 1½ hour later.
Why couldn't they wait to normal hours which be waiting 1 more hour?

They never think of other people, they even removed the trees that protected us from their nightly naughtiness. Yes , we can see in to their bedroom, all 5 apartments can, it not like we can avoid using half of our apartments due to them.

This humming noise making me cranky.

I completely understand the reason for making the cap childproof. But why do they have to make it impossible for someone with slightly arthritic hands to open it??? :mad:

Grrr.... I have the same problem with bleach bottles. And I always made sure I buy only "elderly friendly" OTC medicines. Manfs. need to make both types of caps. Then it is up to the store to put the non child proofs up where little hands can't reach. :angel:

I am disliking my neighbors today. Everyday between 6.55 and 7. 20 an alarm goes of to wake the next door nutter, it take that long before it shuts off. Mine goes off at 7.00, I wake at 6.55 from his alarm, even on Saturdays. And my "posh, I am so much better then you neighbor" started vacuuming sludge out of their house at 7.30 , it still going on 1½ hour later.
Why couldn't they wait to normal hours which be waiting 1 more hour?

They never think of other people, they even removed the trees that protected us from their nightly naughtiness. Yes , we can see in to their bedroom, all 5 apartments can, it not like we can avoid using half of our apartments due to them.

This humming noise making me cranky.

I'd be speaking to my landlord, hopefully along with the other neighbors.

I did the Swedish thing and put angry note on the Door to our house, say Change alarm tone so you wake up, I want to sleep.

The other nutters, lives in their own house, they can do as they please but they always act like they more then us and honestly, I hope they move soon. Yeah, they have money, " good" looks, lousy taste in underwear, the most modern **** in their house , the wrong wines for dinner and all that jazz, but they could be nice and polite to their neighbors.

They have been trying to sell the house for over it value for sometime now. A house were your neighbors can see into isnt worth that much, even if you paint every square inch white and write Carpe Diem everywhere.

Am I cranky today, YES.

Don't you guys have curtains or blinds? I understand if you are outside, but inside, I'd just close my curtains/blinds so I didn't have to see them.

If they painted carpe diem all over their walls, I'd definitely agree with the "nutters" and also say they must not want to sell their house very badly.

Be glad it's just a hum. I lived in a condo for a couple of years. Every Saturday, the vacuum would start upstairs, as well as screeching and screaming. A young couple lived upstairs and we started to wonder if he was beating on her and using vacuum to try to cover the noise. We were debating whether or not to call the cops after this kept happening for several weeks. Finally saw her out on their balconey, started talking to her and ended up flat out asking her. She busted out laughing and said it wasn't her but their parrot who hated the vacuum.

Last edited:
Well we used to live in the apartment, that all its window towards their house, we spent most of life with shut blinds in the evening due to them. Sometimes we forgot to shut the kitchen blinds when we got water in the evening and yes, they only drew down half the way, we are above, we are on a angle. My landlord has forced them to replace the trees they removed that actually belonged to this property, so now in a few years there be a cypress hedge between us.

We have tried to talk to them, well they above and acts all snotty when we do.

I got hold of the neighbor with the alarm at least, he promised to change alarm signal so gets up in the morning.

A very arthritic friend has been giving the bottle to her grandson to open for her since he was about old enough to have strong enough hands!

What happened to storing such things out of the reach of children and teaching the children not to touch? I knew the bleach was under the sink from the time I could toddle but also knew that all hell would land on my head if I even touched the cupboard door (and no, my mother wasn't a child beater - just a sensible mother who had grown up with her own sensible mother).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom