Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think those stupid crock pot recipes are for people who want supper ready when they get home from work.

A friend of mine used a recipe for pork in coconut milk, cooked low and slow in the oven. She came up with the brilliant idea of substituting pork tenderloin for whatever pork was called for in the recipe. It was dry in a bunch of coconut milk. A real shame.

Loin vs Tenderloin

And don't forget the recipes that exchange tenderloin for loin and vice versa...

Only with really reading methods and times can you sometimes figure it out.

I don't really mind generalizing certain parts of recipes but to interchange the main ingredients????

nope - not legal - I'm hoping the recipe police will be coming down on them real soon and with all pans firing! Sear those Butts!!!

We are told that cars rust more in a heated garage. That has to do with the salt they use on the roads to melt the snow. The slushy snow sticks to the underside of the car. In an unheated garage the reaction of salt, water, and metal is slow. When the garage is heated, the reaction is speeded up. Plain old chemistry. OTH, in a heated garage, the slushy snow melts and falls off the car. I don't know if the smaller amount of salt left on the car in a heated garage balances out with the speedier reaction.
Heated garages - my goodness - such luxury!

Heated garages - my goodness - such luxury!
Our heated garage is underground parking in our condo association. There's 18 or 19 cars that all park in their assigned spots. The real luxury is the heated seats. Both of these luxuries are greatly appreciated in the cold and we get cold down to -40°C most years.

Really mad at myself. I spent 4-6 month to make a sourdough starter sometimes last year and into this year. I kept it in the refrigerator, did not have time to bake or to even feed the starter last month, of course it died on me, just my luck. People talk about how their starters less for a year in the fridge. Grrrr....

How do you deal with unreasonable parents? :mad:

Just say "Ok" and take that high road out.
Shine them on. Do as you please.:LOL:

That worked with my Mother when her Dementia was really bad.
We just let her have it her way. Within a certain degree.

Or is it you who's the Unreasonable Parent here?

Or is it your kids' friends' parents?

Didn't even think about that possibility.
Lets get the elections started early. Just for boops and giggles:ermm::LOL:

Vote here....

Charlie's Parents?
Charlie?
Friend's Parents?

My vote...His Parents.

Hope my monitor stays alive long enough to see the results.It's getting darker by the minute.Can barely see anything.
C'mon UPS.Show up early today.:huh:

Last edited:
To have a mutual emotionally healthy relationship, it takes 3 things.
The relationship and communications are respectful.
The relationship is reciprocal. (both parties get something out of it)
If mistakes are made or expectations unreasonable, then the party responsible for that is able to acknowledge the mistake, apologize, and change their behavior in the future.

Since you mention 'unreasonable', then, you cannot reason with them as it will do no good. You still have choices. You can do everything they want and hopefully this doesn't violate anyone's safety or health. Or you can draw a line, or make a boundary and withdraw from the situation, until it improves. (I guess :) )

One thing I do not like and yes I know it doesnt have to do with this forum but my microwave oven decided it was bonfire night tonight and well yeah, sparks, flames and smoke.
Thanks so much for that. Now I have to figure out what heck to have on stand by when I am not home.

Now I have to figure out what heck to have on stand by when I am not home.

That shouldn't be too much of a problem. :LOL:

Teach them what an oven looks like. :ermm:
Teach them where the knobs are to turn it on.
Just be sure all products are in oven proof packaging. :wacko:
Teach them where to place the object IN the oven. :ohmy:
Teach them what are good temperatures, which you will specify on each product.
Teach them how to time said product in the oven for best heating results.:huh:

Good Luck! :ROFLMAO:

dragnlaw: he is 47 , has lived on his own for many years and well he is a master tin opener and tin food is oddly enough hard to find in Sweden, it like 5 dishes. He can do 3 dishes from scratch but he prefers to nuke some I made because it taste good and doesnt make the kid cry.

Oh well, we cant afford one right now so he have to learn.

My parents. They are losing their minds and of course are refusing to admit that it is them that could be wrong. My mother claims that my son told her we would not be home, when they wanted to come, even though I clearly told her that we would. And then my father showed up announced digging in his garden (my house, my yard, But It Is His Garden!) and saw our friends come over. That's it War. How dare we lie to them? Who lied? I told you we will be home. No, you told your son to call and lie to us. What the flippity flip. And there is no way to convince them otherwise. And it's been going on for a while. Week before that I invited them for dinner, all the kids were home. I asked them what time they eat lunch. At 2 PM, ok I say come at 2 PM. They showed up at 11 and announced that they cannot wait till 2, they are too tired by then. Oh, and I purposely sent kids away so they would not be able to see them, kids and I were in a store. I can't deal with that. They both are mad, both are not talking to me. What am I to do. I am not going to apologize any more, I am just too tired.

Well Charlie - I truly don't think I could personally do it, but reading your predicament... one way out is to just admit guilt and beg forgiveness. It just might work - once or twice. :rolleyes:

I know others more experienced in care of the elderly will have far better answers. You could also (more work, I know, and could I do it - probably not) is to constantly call them and double check instructions and plans with them. This "might" help keep their memories on track. But dementia has many problems and I have absolutely no training in it. Many others here do have the proper training thou... good luck and bless you.

and by training I mean also with hands on experience - not just book learning ideas

Last edited:
Charlie, I adopted a couple of Southern phrases when dealing with my parents: "That's nice", and "Bless your heart". Smile, nod, agree. Both basically mean back off, but with fewer foul words. I can even shut down my evil sister with those phrases.

You are so lucky to still have both of your parents! I miss mine every day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom