Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got stung by bees yesterday. I think it is 6 or 7 in total, but I don't really know. 4 or 5 of them are on my ankle. It is a cankle today. If anybody happened to glance in my backyard yesterday they would have thought I was crazy. I had just reached in under a bush with the lawnmower and it started. Once I realized what was happening, I was feeling the stings on my ankle, upper arm and back of my neck. I didn't really know how many bees there were, so I started running around my back yard shedding everything I could. By the time I was done I only had my shorts on. Boots, socks, t-shirt, hat, sunglasses, were all spread over the back lawn. No fun. Second bee sting episode this summer...

Last edited:
Rocklobster said:
I got stung by bees yesterday. I think it is 6 or 7 in total, but I don't really know. 4 or 5 of them are on my ankle. It is a cankle today. If anybody happened to glance in my backyard yesterday they would have thought I was crazy. I had just reached in under a bush with the lawnmower and it started. Once I realized what was happening, I was feeling the stings on my ankle, upper arm and back of my neck. I didn't really know how many bees there were, so I started running around my back yard shedding everything I could. By the time I was done I only had my shorts on. Boots, socks, t-shirt, hat, sunglasses, were all spread over the back lawn. No fun. Second bee sting episode this summer...

They hurt! Once, when I was mowing, I ran over an underground hornet nest. They flew up my shorts legs and stung like crazy! The stings hurt for weeks! Didn't have time to shed anything. The neighbors were grateful.

Last edited:
I'm just the opposite. During selection they asked the potential jurors if the defendant not testifying would make him look guilty to them and if we could think of a legitimate reason why an innocent person might not want to speak on the stand. I gave a very logical answer that had the judge and every lawyer in the room nodding in agreement. When they asked what my profession was and I said network tech, that pretty much sealed it. I'm pretty sure if my name gets pulled again and I make it to the questioning stage, if even one person that was involved that time is present I'll be on the jury again.

Now there's a new one. You're logical, so you're stuck! I love it! At least it makes sense. I'd agree that there are probably dozens of reasons people wouldn't want to speak on the stand. I, for one, get so nervous when required to do public speaking that I sweat and shake. I'm sure I'd be condemned on the spot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to testify in front of the Nursing Board, not even a jury trial and I was freaked out. The lawyers are sharks and they don't allow you to clarify your thoughts.

Of course. They have an agenda. They get you to say what they want you to say. Or, say it in a way that they can interpret it to their advantage.

As much as I dislike lawyers, I have to direct the blame to the real reason for most legal dissatisfaction; the system itself.

No, it is not the best one, no one system is the best in every way, and no, it's not perfect or anywhere near it. The systems of the entire world each have their good and bad parts. Why can't the powers that be pick and choose among those parts of world systems that work and incorporate each of them into one entire system that would work?

Sticking to a system that, as a whole, doesn't work, but staying with the framework out of stubbornness instead of logic. Habit instead of intelligence.

The global waste of resources has always been my one huge sore spot in the makeup of humankind. As a species, we say one thing and do another.

Ha! :ROFLMAO: don't get me started....:LOL:

As much as I dislike lawyers, I have to direct the blame to the real reason for most legal dissatisfaction; the system itself.

No, it is not the best one, no one system is the best in every way, and no, it's not perfect or anywhere near it. The systems of the entire world each have their good and bad parts. Why can't the powers that be pick and choose among those parts of world systems that work and incorporate each of them into one entire system that would work?

Sticking to a system that, as a whole, doesn't work, but staying with the framework out of stubbornness instead of logic. Habit instead of intelligence.

The global waste of resources has always been my one huge sore spot in the makeup of humankind. As a species, we say one thing and do another.

Ha! :ROFLMAO: don't get me started....:LOL:

Yes, I agreee that is it the best we have. Which, to me, is a poor excuse to accept it for what it is. I will never stop being critical of it. Just like the government. But, that talk will get my posts deleted.:LOL:

Oh, not fun. :( When I was kid my mom used to make a paste our of meat tenderizer and put it on the stings. It actually helped quite a bit. If they were bee stings she'd also make sure the stinger wasn't still in the skin. Here are a couple links about home remedies for stings.

How to Treat a Bee Sting with Meat Tenderizer | eHow.com
Bee stings: Lifestyle and home remedies - MayoClinic.com

I don't know how quickly they need to be applied in order to work. Hopefully the stings will heal quickly. Hmm, couldn't find a sympathy smiley so here, have some guaranteed bee free flowers. :flowers:

I know it was a couple days ago and several pages back, but I haven't been able to get on since then, so I just wanted to say thanks for the sympathy & suggestions for my last rant! It's now 3 days later and I have no new bites and DH and DD are bite free, so we're hopeful! We're still super-cleaning everything as a precaution, but while that's time-consuming, with a new baby coming it's a good idea anyway!

I know it was a couple days ago and several pages back, but I haven't been able to get on since then, so I just wanted to say thanks for the sympathy & suggestions for my last rant! It's now 3 days later and I have no new bites and DH and DD are bite free, so we're hopeful! We're still super-cleaning everything as a precaution, but while that's time-consuming, with a new baby coming it's a good idea anyway!

Glad to hear it!

another useless day sewing. suffice to say machine problems. wasted several hours and sewed one thing.

my nights and days are screwed up, maybe that is the cause of all these mishaps. didn't get to sleep til 3 am, this morning. slept til almost one. the rhythm of the day is all off. has been this way for almost a week. wish my body would just stabilize so i can function like a normal person. part of the sleeping problem seems to be my ptsd.if it doesn't let up will have to go see the old head doctor. i had really hoped i had put all of this behind me. these thoughts are not pleasant but seem to be uncontrollable. wish me luck.

another useless day sewing. suffice to say machine problems. wasted several hours and sewed one thing.

my nights and days are screwed up, maybe that is the cause of all these mishaps. didn't get to sleep til 3 am, this morning. slept til almost one. the rhythm of the day is all off. has been this way for almost a week. wish my body would just stabilize so i can function like a normal person. part of the sleeping problem seems to be my ptsd.if it doesn't let up will have to go see the old head doctor. i had really hoped i had put all of this behind me. these thoughts are not pleasant but seem to be uncontrollable. wish me luck.

I do hope you are feeling better soon, Babe. The hot weather is probably the biggest culprit. Hugs and Sweet Dreams!

I am so angry with myself. I said something to a friend of thirty years that obviously upset her though the effect was uninteneded. I would not hurt her for the world and though my words were true I did not anticipate that she would take it in an unflattering light. The sad part is that we have become much less close in the last 10 years due to the circumstances of life, a situation that I lament. I pray that this gaff does not cause a rift between us. I sent her an e-mail to apologize and. yes, I know that a call is probably more appropriate. But it is early in the day and her family doesn't get started till late in the morning and I don't want to wait until the day gets busy as I might forget. Sheeesh, won't my mouth ever stop getting me in trouble?

You might also try a handwritten note. An apology is sometimes better served by something more personal than an electronic blip on a screen.

I do hope your friendship mends!

Losing a friend as an adult seems to hurt much more than when I was a child. If the friend is someone you truly want to keep in your life, I'd make the call after sending the note. Perhaps your friend will be in a more mellow mood after receiving your apology. I've only lost one friend as an adult and it was thru no fault of mine, but I still think of her - not that I would ever be close again after seeing that someone else's word was taken over mine. We used to vacation together, spent holidays together and our children were good friends. I count it as maybe she wasn't the good friend that she portrayed so to me that is untrustworthy. I'm over it - but remember.

Thanks Selkie, under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you but in this case the friend has a quirky aversion to people sending her notes. She thinks it's a strange thing to do. I know that makes her sound a little nutty and nothing could be further from the truth. She is the most totally grounded and straight thinking person that I know and I value her friendship and her advice, which I could use now to know how to handle this situation!

Licia, thanks for your input. This friend is a lovely woman who is very straight forward but feels that folks consider her less than sympathetic because of it. That could not be further from the truth. She is a kind and loving person. Unfortunately my mouth stepped on that sensitive spot. Maybe I'll try to see if we can get together for a little lunch or something.

What does one do at a Coroner's inquest? I'd say I haven't been called for jury duty in a while, but I'd probably receive one in the mailbox asap. So I didn't really say that.:rolleyes:

I hope it's not too late here to mention the TV series DaVinci's Inquest, a Canadian production (I think) of several years ago. I thought it was very good -- don't know how factually accurate it was, but the story lines seemed very realistic in re the coroner and his inquests.

Back
Top Bottom