Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up early again waiting for the Landscaper to show up.
The fist one never showed up. He now has blocked my calls.
Called another company. He came out with a cement contractor gave me an estimate. I was told because the city had the sidewalk edges sanded down even, that they because of a program they have here would probably go halves with me on the replacement. They touched it, he said they probably did that so they wouldn't be responsible if someone got hurt. Everybody was supposed to be here Monday.
Nobody showed up. The only thing that happened was the caution tape was wrapped around the danger areas Saturday.
He did txt me and asked if I saw it? said yes. He did ask if they were still able to cut down my trees? because he hadn't heard from me I told him again yes. Now nothing for 2 days.
I txted him this morning asking if they would be cutting them down this week? Is the city going to be involved at all?

Was I wrong in asking? Tell me now. My patience is wearing thin. Well kinda late now txt was sent...
I was told they were going to be down by Wednesday of last week.

Chef, I feel your frustration. Try yet another company.
We had an electrician for some wiring in the bathroom remodel. After the dry wall was done, we called him and told him he could finish up and he replied it would be three weeks before he showed. After eight weeks, we contacted another electrician to finish the job. I do not understand why companies ignore/irritate/disrespect customers.

Well, he just txted me back saying "We are meeting there Thursday will be cut down"
I kinda poked the bear this morning. Why not. I've been trying since April to get all this done. I do have a life!
Will the trees be cut down this week? The city didn't show up on Monday either. Will they be involved at all?

Txt back with Thursday morning I'm assuming? Have been canceling plans to accommodate all of this.
Pretty much a last chance to get it done kind of thing. We'll see if Thursday happens.

Poking the bear on 'Thursday's assuming?' might have worked.
Texted me after 6pm last night "Ya I'm getting it all in line ok"
I replied Okay, great thank you.
Why wasn't he getting it all in line before?
Needed a plumber to clear out my kitchen drain over the weekend. When I called he said he'd be about 20 minutes.
They were here in 10 minutes. And didn't charge me a weekend fee. That's a guy who wants future business.

Protecting Stupid just gets the Police called on you!
That's what happened yesterday. This Tree business is getting way out of hand. Seriously thinking today sell the house and move!
Had to get the front lawn done cleaned up it really looked shabby.
While I was doing it a young lady pushing a stroller and had 2 more with her.Walked by, on the sidewalk disregarded the caution tape and cones moved them aside. Kept walking.
I put them back went back to work. Little 'Karen' walked back by again. Moved one cone. I jumped up ran over and blocked her from walking near the ankle breaker. Karen didn't like that. Though I explained why the areas are taped off. She informed me it's public property. I informed her different.
She copped a nasty little attitude and told me she was going to call the police. Told he go ahead. She didn't get through. Called 3 other people she was P.....!. All this while the neighbors were watching. I think the kids across the street were taking bets who would win. The little one 'Me' vs 'Karen'
I told her while she whipped out her litte itty bitty phone that she would already be home if she had just walked around like everyone else had already. She told whoever she managed to get that I wouldn't let her pass. True. She amused me for about 3 minutes before I copped my own attitude and finally told her to GO! here, moved the cone. Just GO! I don't have time for this petty crap I have things to do and you're just wasting MY time. GO! finished up and went on my way.
15-20 minutes later I walked into my home. My dog was hiding
Saw before I heard light coming from the top of my front door. Loud shaking the door banging. Didn't know it was the police. Wasn't going to open that aggressive door.
My son got up asked what was going on? told him. He went out. He explained why the tape was up. It did say CAUTION.
The cop said oh s...! I see why. I told him I was just trying to protect her from getting hurt is all.
After talking with us we were told the city has to do the taping off. We took it down no problem. He seemed a little irritated to be called out for something as petty as Karen. Karen wouldn't let it go.
He went to her mothers home Big 'Karen' and told them. And also told her to stay away from me. She then walked back to his car twice. Everything was over. She missed the memo.

Like our wildlife officer friend always said "can't fix stupid".

Just to protect yourself, since you aren't allowed to put tape up but could get sued if somebody falls, I'd buy some red spray paint and spray the "ankle breaker area" and write caution on each side, then take dated pictures from a couple of viewpoints to protect yourself, especially given your Karen's actions.

Last edited:
Window tabs -it's just a clic to go from one tab to a new one - and in that split second to get there I immediately forget why... :doh::furious:
Image.GIF

Child safety caps!!! I recently bought a bottle of Nervine. I have an achy toe that sometimes needs a little extra TLC. The bottle is roll-on lotion, like an old-fashioned deodorant bottle. But you have to do the "squeeze the cap" bit to get the top to clear the bumps in the neck of the bottle so the cap will come off. Well, when the fingers also have some arthritis in them, how the heck are you supposed to open the bottle? :angry:

Child safety caps!!! I recently bought a bottle of Nervine. I have an achy toe that sometimes needs a little extra TLC. The bottle is roll-on lotion, like an old-fashioned deodorant bottle. But you have to do the "squeeze the cap" bit to get the top to clear the bumps in the neck of the bottle so the cap will come off. Well, when the fingers also have some arthritis in them, how the heck are you supposed to open the bottle? :angry:
Nice to see ya, Kiddo!

Some people are just like that Alix.. they have a bad day and take it out on the first person who irks them a smidge. I can't understand it myself... but if she realized her mistake and that you weren't willing to take it from her, it likely won't happen again. Good for you on being the bigger person!

I have been taking WAYYY too long to finish our bathroom... I finally finished most of the bathtub tiling tonight, now I"m just waiting for the plaster to harden on one area and I can put the last few... then grout late tomorrow night.. and we can shower on Tuesday morning - or maybe night.. I am so excited... to shower in my own home again.. we've been going to the gym down the road where we have a membership.

SOOO it's been a year and a half since my mother left my father, and the divorce was "official" about seven months ago.. and my mother is already engaged and getting married in the fall. This bothers me quite a bit.. and she has been extremely insensitive to how I felt in the past, so I have just stopped saying anything... she announced the engagement on Christmas day in front of a dozen other people. I seriously wish she had told me in private... It was horrible to have a shock like that thrown on me. To my credit not many people said much, but I wonder if they already knew.

I honestly don't know what her hurry is to get married.. in the same year? I feel as if she isn't taking marriage seriously - like it's a game to her. The way she has been acting you would think she is 18 again... it's disconcerting. Good for her for feeling young.. but some of the things she has been doing are just inconsiderate.

Now I feel like a terrible daughter. She asked me to go to a bridal show with her a couple of weeks ago and I said I was busy. I knew that it would be ALL about her, and she would likely barely mention MY wedding next year. That's just how she has been since she left my dad.. self centered. Her fiance is a great guy and all.. but he's a pushover.. and he even said after she announced the engagement, "It's what she wanted, so I gave it to her!" and she agreed, saying she had been bugging him for a long time about it... WHAT?! How can you BUG someone about marrying you, especially after knowing them for only a scant six months?? I really don't get it.

SO here I am.. stuck between a rock and a hard place. Desperately wanting to ask her what she is thinking, to ask her if she even cares to ASK how I feel about it (which she did NOT)... and not being able to talk to her about it, because she would just get defensive and completely ignore what I feel. AND not to mention how HIS kids feel about a strange woman living with them only after knowing their father for a few months (she moved in about 3 months after they met), and then marrying him! Hah.

I just don't know what to think anymore. So, the day after I found out, I started destroying tiles in the bathroom with a hammer, and hence the bathroom reno commenced.

And so my story TILES together...
That's not petty venting dear. You're so right.

Sorry, just saw how old this thread is

Last edited:
Oh this is so true! I have become so cross with some caps I have taken pliers to them trying to get them off! (Usually with disastrous results and not to be recommended!) :whistling

And Hi CG!!

KatyC - I'm with you on that one as well. I've often taken pliers to bottles, jars, etc.
If it is a bottle that will be used often them I either destroy the caps little fins that lock it.
If I can, I change bottles, containers. I know very well it is not recommended to change medical bottles but I mark them well, so too bad, so sad - I do.

On another note about bottles and caps. Jam jars and sauce jars, I've become obsessed with washing the lids and lips of them so they don't stick the next time.

Glue tubes/bottles and jars - I know this is an old idea, been around for ages - but I only just learned it! Use some Vaseline around the threads! OMG works like a charm. Even on the first tube where I had mangled the little plastic cap with pliers. I'm now even keeping an old pill container near my supplies of glue.

I have a pair of pliers dedicated to the kitchen. They are slip joint pliers, and I can adjust them to fit most smaller lids. Bigger lids, I use a plastic "grabber" that helps get the original seal broken and I can get at the contents. Of course, there is the "run hot water over the lid" method. I don't recommend the "tap the lid all around with the handle of a table knife" because one can lose one's temper and break the jar (don't ask how I know.)
I dislike the plastic seal inside sealed containers. After I peel off the outer plastic band around the lid of cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. and get the lid off, there is a peel-off plastic seal. Overkill!

For stuff from the pharmacy, ask the pharmacy to give you containers that are not child proof. I'm pretty sure that they are required to do that for Rx stuff, when you ask.

Ooh containers and their seals - my new pet peeve is pour spouts. The ones with a reusable twist cap and there is an inner plastic seal with a pull tab, well, I'm tired of that little ring breaking off. The pull rings being flimsy seems like a new issue. I have had that happen with the plastic cartons / jugs of milk and cream.

I have a pair of pliers dedicated to the kitchen. They are slip joint pliers, and I can adjust them to fit most smaller lids. Bigger lids, I use a plastic "grabber" that helps get the original seal broken and I can get at the contents. Of course, there is the "run hot water over the lid" method. I don't recommend the "tap the lid all around with the handle of a table knife" because one can lose one's temper and break the jar (don't ask how I know.)
I dislike the plastic seal inside sealed containers. After I peel off the outer plastic band around the lid of cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. and get the lid off, there is a peel-off plastic seal. Overkill!
I used to pound the flat top of the jar on the kitchen counter to break the seal - then I realized that I could dent the Formica that way. So I took the jar out to our attached garage, which is 1/2 level lower than our first floor due to the grade of our lot. I would pound the jar lid on the 2x4 railing top, but then it occurred to me that the jar could break in my hand. Not Good! So I have ever since tapped the edge of the lid with my sharpening steel successfully. No broken jar, cut hand, or dented counter. If I can't get a lid off? I call Himself into the kitchen. My hands aren't strong enough for even a "cap snaffler" to work for me.

As far as that peel-off seal under a sealed lid - maybe it's there to create a better air barrier than just the lid? Himself is always confounded when he opens a new tub of Fage sour cream. There is no outer plastic band, just the inner seal. Once the seal is gone, dang if it doesn't look like sour cream. But surprise! They add a parchment cover directly on the sour cream (or yogurt) as an added freshness feature. He forgets, but remembers it as soon as he tries to scoop sour cream! :D

Back
Top Bottom