Potato Pancakes Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DQ ~ Two eggs weren't the issue. I had a huge bowl of potatoes, two cups of cheese, and 8 green onions, in a filled to the top 4 quart bowl. One was not going to be enough because they were medium eggs.

The more I think on this, the more convinced I am that using my non-stick griddle and a very light brushing of fat would be the best way to go. There was definitely too much butter when I cooked them.

I think you are exactly right Callisto. The non-stick and VERY little fat would create the crust you were looking for. I think the key here is a dry sear versus a "fry".

I'm going to HAVE to go to the store today to get some potatoes! I'll challenge myself to a potato pancake throwdown - no matter which method works I'll still be the winner :LOL:

I do feel a little like Bobby Flay trying all these different methods for one recipe. I'm definitely going to try and do a dry fry tonight.

I do feel a little like Bobby Flay trying all these different methods for one recipe. I'm definitely going to try and do a dry fry tonight.

At this point I don't know if I'll get to the grocery store - I can't wait to hear how this went "down" for you :LOL: With bacon juice the barrel-fermented Chard could still be on the menu - - - without the bacon juice I think whatever is open will go :LOL:

In searching potato pancakes I have come across some interesting recipes. They include pesto, adding finely diced or even pureed vegetables, the list goes on! Me? I'm just after that perfect one that you are going to make tonight...I can feel it! :chef:

This is a recipe based on leftovers and using what you already have, that's why you use the mashed...

I've made these for two years probably two dozen times a year, my issue with them is they don't stay together to flip. I love the taste, I just want some help with texture while cooking.

Callisto, I make Potato Pancakes with shredded potatoes, not leftover mashed potatoes. My approach to the mashed potatoes not sticking together to flip would be:

Form your mashed taters into patties and refrigerate a few hours to set/firm up. Make sure your pan & oil is hot enough. Use a spatula to flip 'em over.

Alternately, you could oven bake the patties on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Or - you could form the potato mixture into balls (add some spinach, egg(s) & cheese, if you like), & scoop the potato balls in muffin pans & bake.

Another way to go is to make potato knishes - wrap 'em up in phyllo dough.

I love mashed potatoes, so there's never any leftovers at my house ;-)

I grew up on potato cakes, mashed potato, egg, and a little flour mixed together, formed into a patty then dusted with flour and set in the ice box for a 1/2 hr. Then fried in a cast iron skillet. I think your problem might be the way you make your mashed potato, I grew up with fairly stiff mashed potato, some people like a less firm mashed potato, if you make a make a fluffy, very smooth mash potato, that might be where the problem starts. Too much liquid, causing too loose a potato cake batter, other then making a flour tasting potato cake, it is a lost cause, I know I've tried.

I had some potato pancakes at an Amish restaurant recently and when they first set them on the table I thought ewww they looked soft and on the verge of being too wet but when I tasted them I fell instantly in love! They were so full of flavor, but I can hardly even begin to tell you what was in them! They had some sort of herbs I know but there were also color specs in them that all I can guess were mabe tiny grated veggies...? All the flavors melded so good together I couldn't pick them out. They were very rich, I wouldnt be surprised if there was chicken stock in them somewhere. I tried to do a search online but came up with nothing although I did find a tasty looking Amich corn fritters recipe!
The potato pancakes I use to make years ago where simple but good, I used left over mash, salt and pepper, tiny splash ore of milk, and flour to bind it, then fried them in butter. Once in awhile they fell apart but mostly they were fine.....I have never used egg before, I'll have to try that.

My 2 cents is "Get Small"..

my friend makes these a lot and they're no larger than a silver dollar..

I think he uses grated, skinned, baked potatoes, egg, a little onion, parsley..

then His deal is "cool them on a rack, paper towels make them soggy"

Eric, Austin Tx.

Yep, I think last night Callisto (and everyone) got this on the right track. What everyone said today was spot on - it was just figured out last night. I know it's not always possible to read posts but in the long run sometimes it saves time :chef:

We will await the perfect results now :chef::cool:

DQ - I think it sounded like you didn't realize she was using mashed because all you mentioned was shredded - that's where the confusion came in. Her potato pancakes would be good with sour cream but, IMHO, not applesauce - save that for the latkes for sure!

OK Callisto - I just thought of something. Freeze some sour cream (even some butter mixed in too) with chives in a flattish ball form. Right when you go to fry these stick one of these in the middle of the potato mixture - seriously, this thread is killing me!

My 2 cents is "Get Small"..

my friend makes these a lot and they're no larger than a silver dollar..

I think he uses grated, skinned, baked potatoes, egg, a little onion, parsley..

then His deal is "cool them on a rack, paper towels make them soggy"

Eric, Austin Tx.

Good idea on the size but seriously, aren't you from Texas? I've never heard of a Texan making something smaller :LOL: I like a big fat potato pancake (when using mashed, that is) - ok, I'll just add these silver dollar ones to the throwdown!

Potato pancakes and applesauce

My dear friends where is it written that applesauce doesn't go with potato pancakes of most any kind? Of course it may be written, but I don't believe all that I read. Love applesauce with!:chef:

My dear friends where is it written that applesauce doesn't go with potato pancakes of most any kind? Of course it may be written, but I don't believe all that I read. Love applesauce with!:chef:

My theory in that statement is simply what goes with MASHED potatoes. We're not talking latkes here...but mashed. Maybe it's just my tastebuds - but I stand by them and they say leave the applesauce off the mashed potato pancakes :chef: Sour cream, however, a different thing...

Sourcream and chives are great with this. Because of the cheddar cheese I don't think applesauce would be good with these. However, if you are an apple pie and cheese person, you may enjoy it. These have green onions and cheddar so sour cream and chives would be a great combo.

BTW ~ I'm hungry. Is it 5:00 yet?

Oh ~ chive and onion cream cheese dolloped in the middle before cooking side two. Doesn't that sound like a treat.

I'm easily confused....I just eat grits...and fried grits patties! :whistling
I've only had grits once and they were disgusting. I'm told I should try again because they really are good, but you know how it goes when something is your first time trying it, it tends to scar your pallet.

I've only had grits once and they were disgusting. I'm told I should try again because they really are good, but you know how it goes when something is your first time trying it, it tends to scar your pallet.

Maybe after you get your potato pancakes recipe down pat you can do just that! ;)

I've made potato cakes with diced, sauted, onion added for something different with roast beef!

Enjoy!

Sourcream and chives are great with this. Because of the cheddar cheese I don't think applesauce would be good with these. However, if you are an apple pie and cheese person, you may enjoy it. These have green onions and cheddar so sour cream and chives would be a great combo.

BTW ~ I'm hungry. Is it 5:00 yet?

Oh ~ chive and onion cream cheese dolloped in the middle before cooking side two. Doesn't that sound like a treat.

I'm thinking close to Bermuda it should be around 5:00???? :LOL::LOL:

Well, here's my 2 cents. ;) My Mama used to make these all the time and here is how she made them:

2 cups mashed potatoes (I've never tried instant potatoes so I have no idea if those will work)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons dried chives
1/4 cup flour

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Using a large spoon, drop by spoonful on a well greased non-stick pan. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, flip and cook other side until golden brown.
**For added flavor, you can add some bacon bits and shredded cheese to the batter before cooking.

Attachments

• potatocakes.jpg
    potatocakes.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom