Potatoes, amazing yummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Cooking potatoes has the most amazing recipes imaginable. Here are some I have done and some I want to do and some I probably will never do! :LOL:
Bringing this up from the Pullman Loaf, along with some editing...

I have done Duchess Potatoes, Hasselback, and Scalloped.
Not to mention of course, the mashed, roasted, baked - all in various ways within themselves.

But have not done a Rosti or Potato Pie, I have several recipes for them but am a little intimidated to try. Leaving them alone in the pan to cook - I'm sure I'll burn it to a crisp or turn to soon and have it land on the floor.
I include Pommes Anna along with the above.

I once tried Gnocchi - even the chickens wouldn't eat them. :sick:
and although not potatoes I had great success with gnudi!

Also have Pommes Dauphine on my "to do" list.

So here we go folks - Potatoes Supreme, by members of DC! Have at it guys!

(am copying posts following from Pullman Loaf.. hope this is OK)

A potato thread would be good ( since I'm up to my neck in potatoes). a year ago I went ou tto a restaurant and got Potato Pave ( thin slices of potatos, layered than fried up). It was so good and flaky . I made it, tasted good, but not as good as the restarurants.
Sorry larry could not move your picture.

But that is a new one for me, only just saw that today about Potato Pave. so it is definetly going on my 'to do' list.

Last edited:
OK, so we have all come to the conclusion that I suck at editing. Hope this is alright with you.

Let's hear your favourite ways with potatoes!

JP mentioned they are Yukon Golds. I noticed he uses a non-stick skillet (I think it's ceramic). What was your issue with the potatoes?

When I tried to smash them slightly, they simply crumbled. No smashing or sticking to itself at all. Bigger pieces would simply break off.

These are the potatoes I've been using. We get two meals from a bag. If your potatoes are cooked through completely, try to smash them less.

Photo - 1.jpeg

I'm growing Yukon golds in one of the little back yard plots (aka the North 40 of Notta-Acre Farm (40 by 40 inches of prime farming real estate.)) I may get some the next time I am at market because they are not nearly ready yet.

This is a simple recipe that I make with a can of small whole potatoes from the emergency shelf.

It can also be made with chunks of peeled boiled fresh potatoes.

I usually serve it on cold winter nights with a vacuum packed ham steak, green beans, and an apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling.

You can also make this as a stove top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but, I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh them with the boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.

Last edited:
Only other thing I can think of is perhaps they are a little bit over cooked?

Woop, sorry Aunt Bea, the above was meant for Kathleen. You posted before I had a chance to work my magic with the mouse.

Andy, I think perhaps Kathleen was referring to the comment you made in the Pullman thread.
You mentioned you used a recipe from Serious Eats for the smashed potatoes.
They do theirs in the oven, not the fry pan?

Oven baked smashed potatoes made with leftover salt potatoes were a popular complementary bar food several years ago.

The cold salt potatoes were flattened/smashed on a baking sheet, drizzled with melted butter, topped with shredded cheese, then baked in a hot oven until brown and bubbly. Some places added a good shake of cayenne pepper.

Andy, I think perhaps Kathleen was referring to the comment you made in the Pullman thread.
You mentioned you used a recipe from Serious Eats for the smashed potatoes.
They do theirs in the oven, not the fry pan?
Nope. They use a skillet too. Makes sense to me. Nothing better to get some nice browning on potatoes than a hot skillet with lots of butter.

We eat a lot of potatoes. We like them mashed, portioned, browned in the oven, or we add mushrooms and onions, make patties and brown those in the oven. We like a hash of sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, onions, and peppers browned in the oven. Microwaved whole to dice up later or make potato salad. Cut into a french fry shape, seasoned, baked hot until they start to brown. They do a lot for texture in split pea soup and also in lentil soup. Potatoes and green beans make a good soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom