Problem with enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I used this recipe for enchiladas: https://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-cream-cheese-enchiladas-463294 with 2 changes.

1. I used white corn tortillas (as I find flour to be an odd texture and a Mexican friend of mine said to use corn)

2. I used 4 cups (60 oz) of enchilada sauce when baking. (Relcipe called for 20 oz.).

I baked 350 degrees for 30 minutes as per the recipe. When the enchiladas came out of the oven, it was as though the tortillas had dissolved into the sauce, giving no integral structure whatsoever. What did I do wrong? Was it because I used white corn instead of.yellow corn tortillas (as has been recommended)? Was it because I used too much enchilada sauce (triple the amount the recipe called for?) Was it neither of these reasons and something completely different? Was it both of these reasons?

Any help would be appreciated!

This is why corn tortillas are fried briefly, before filling, and covering with the sauce and cheese, and baked (I don't know if your recipe called for this, as the link isn't there). I've seen variations calling for spraying the tortillas on both sides with baking spray, and placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet, and baking them briefly - this way, there is less oil in the tortilla, but it will still seal it some, so it won't dissolve, as you described.

Last edited:
I agree you should coat the tortillas in hot oil to coat and soften them so they can be rolled.

If you actually used 60 ounces of sauce, the enchiladas would be swimming in sauce. Why did you use 4 times what the recipe called for?

60 ounces of sauce? Or 4 eight ounce cups for a total of 20 ounces of sauce? I think 60 ounces (almost a half gallon) would have made enchilada soup. A nice Hispanic lady took me aside long ago to inform me that my husband-to-be loved enchillada and gave me the secret recipe, specifed flour tortillas and enough sauce to moisten the enchiladas but not soak them
Good luck

I love enchiladas. :yum: I've been using flour tortillas for years as they hold up so much better than corn tortillas, as you noticed. That is way too much sauce and if the ingredients are already cooked, ithe enchiladas just need warmed for about half that time, otherwise the corn tortillas disintegrate. Try a quick fry in oil like others have suggested, it helps make the tortillas pliable enough to roll without breaking.

+1 on the quick fry.
Dont fry too long or you'll be making a very large chip.
Literally just enough time for them to hold together and be pliable.
I usually put enough sauce to barely cover them then layer cheese on top ( at the end).
Been awhile since I've made them.

I usually dip the tortillas in sauce then shallow fry on both sides, keeping them warm in a towel until ready to fill, wrap and bake. I put a little sauce in the bottom of the pan before adding the enchiladas. I also put Cotija or Oaxaca cheese on top before baking. More sauce is served on the side. Since everything is already cooked they are only in the oven long enough to melt the cheese.

Last edited:
I agree you should coat the tortillas in hot oil to coat and soften them so they can be rolled.

If you actually used 60 ounces of sauce, the enchiladas would be swimming in sauce. Why did you use 4 times what the recipe called for?

It looked kind of dry when I put the sauce on, so I added more. Before I knew it, I had used 4 entire cups of my homemade sauce. (It was my first time making enchiladas. :) )

I give the skillet a light spray of oil, then pop the corn tortilla in and sizzle till blisters form, then flip it and give it another couple minutes. That adds a bit of oil and some toughness without making it crisp and crackly when you roll it up.

With corn tortillas, used for soft tacos, enchiladas, enchilada pie, etc., as the others have stated, you must fry in hot oil just long enough to make them just start to bubble (blister). This makes them tough enough to not fall apart, and still be pliable, and easy to chew. A little over cooking will make them tough. It only takes about 30 seconds in the oil. Drain the tortillas on paper towels to remove excess oil. Place a couple of tbs. of your filling onto each tortillas, and roll the tortilla around the filling. Put sauce to cover the bottom of your baking dish, and lay the enchiladas on top. Cover with more sauce, just enough to coat, like putting pizza sauce on a pizza, and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350' F, oven.

Technically, if made with flour tortillas, I believe it's called a wet burrito.

seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom