Question on cooking oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you really don`t want my advice, I use Animal fats, pork or beef lard, the same as my Grandmother did.

Cooking Oils

:chef: I really prefer the flavor of corn oil; although have never used peanut oil thinking it would be a heavy oil, still thinking it would have a good flavor though. All that said, I really don't fry foods, but do saute things such as onions, etc. I use mostly olive oil for that, and of course it is a heavier oil than vegetable oil.

American made peanut oil tends to be quite mild in flavor. Asian peanut oil seems to have a pronounced peanut flavor.

Andy M. said:
American made peanut oil tends to be quite mild in flavor. Asian peanut oil seems to have a pronounced peanut flavor.

In most asian markets you can buy a peanut/canola blend that is less "peanutty" and cheaper. Look for Lion and Globe brand.

:chef: I'm going to have to try one or the other of the peanut oils. Thanks to you both for your input and insight! :)

If you’re talking about a small counter top “fry daddy” that you’ll use very often, then Canola or Corn oil is the way to go. High smoking point, decent longevity, and inexpensive enough to use regularly and change often.

If you mean an large outdoor fryer, go with peanut oil. Typically, you don’t use those very often (deep fried turkey!!!), but when you do, the superior peanut oil makes everything just a little bit better........but it’s rather expensive. The last time I bought 5 gallons for my fryer, I paid nearly $40 for it. But, store it in a cool and dark place, and you can reuse it for several fryings. It’s helpful to get an oil pump to siphon the oil out of the fryer for storage.

For chicken wings, the fat from the wings will mingle with the oil of your fryer, so you’ll want to change it regularly. If you just do french fries and the like, the oil will last longer. I love to fry my wings in batches for about 5-8 minutes (till they just start to float) and then take them out and let them drain.

Once all the wings are done, I put them in a large Tupperware bowl with a tight fitting lid, and then drizzle BBQ sauce all over them. Pop on the lid, shake the container well to evenly coat the wings with the sauce, then pour the wings onto a cookie sheet and bake them for 5-6 minutes at 350 to set the sauce. Awesome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom