Quintessential American Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was born and raised my entire life in California and I have no explanation for it either, except that I like it and it's all great, especially the wines.

What, they don't do a "Christmas Goose"? I'm just now recovering from a Brit's recent thread about a Christmas brussel sprout quiche. :shock::blink:

I am the poster of the infamous Brussels Sprout Quiche Kayelle.

I apologise unreservedly for causing you such discomfort with my unconventional (but really rather tasty) recipe. :yum:

I am the poster of the infamous Brussels Sprout Quiche Kayelle.

I apologise unreservedly for causing you such discomfort with my unconventional (but really rather tasty) recipe. :yum:

I got quite a kick out of the whole thread Katy, and gladly joined in the fun. I'm glad your recipe turned into a hit! ;)

I was born and raised my entire life in California and I have no explanation for it either, except that I like it and it's all great, especially the wines.

+1 Oldvine. Although I came here as a baby, I've been all over the world, and have never wanted to call anywhere but here home. :mrgreen:

I got quite a kick out of the whole thread Katy, and gladly joined in the fun. I'm glad your recipe turned into a hit! ;)

I made it twice and had empty plates both times! (But I had to be careful to tell people what was in it!) Some people REALLY hate sprouts! :LOL:

I think the same as CarolPa said----- the U.S. is a very large country and made up of many different cultures who immigrated here from long ago, or even recently, bringing their food with them.

I was born and raised in Missouri. Because of that I would have never been exposed to most of the food that others have said was an example of U.S. food ----- until I moved to near San Francisco when I was about 20.

San Francisco is a culinary melting pot within the larger culinary melting pot of the U.S. so I got exposed to a lot of different cuisines in one fairly small city but that's not what everyone can or wants to do.

I think it would be hard to list dishes that are common to the entire U.S.

You are so right. I'm beginning to see how diverse the food of the USA is. I'm making a loooooonnnnnnnnng list and then I'll choose 7 dishes for a week from that. It's not going to be easy, but of course I will have to take the likes and dislikes of my family into account, and of course the whole idea is to try new dishes.

Thought this was interesting.

'The Turkish name for the bird is hindi, which literally means “Indian.” This name likely derived from the common misconception by the English that India and the New World were one and the same.
The turkey’s acceptance into the Old World happened quickly. By 1575, the English were enjoying the North American bird at Christmas dinner.'

That's so interesting. I was wondering how long the rest of the world had been eating Turkey.

:LOL::ROFLMAO:
I think that might be the Roman Empire, then again, maybe not.

The first time I heard of turducken, my first thought was someone was reading their Ancient History books.

I also remember reading my World History and the story of feasts in the Big hall of Henry VIII having a similar dish starting with a swan for stuffing and working its way down to smaller ones. :angel:

All of the foods, with the exception of the tacos, enchiladas, and such, were staples in our household, in a small town in the Upper peninsula of Michigan. I thought we were pretty culinary isolated. At least for U.S. cuisine, we actually had quite a variety when I compare it to the staples some of you have mentioned for you areas. Who-da-thunk-it?:LOL:

If there ever was a unique American dish, it has to be things made with corn, be it hominy, corn on the cob, corn pudding, Johnny Cakes, Corn pone, Corn Chowder, Corn Bread, Corn coating for meats and fish, corn meal mush, etc.

Then again, we make a host of things from almost every food available to us. We blend techniques and flavors from all over the world. To be fair, Unique American cooking is the amalgamation of flavors and techniques, often with a crazy spin on the original. My MIL's tacos won't be found in any restaurant. They sure are yummy. You also won't find my egg roll recipe anywhere else. But everywhere I serve it, it takes the stage. It's what we do best, adapt things to our own tastes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Lisa Mmac----- Does South Africa (or is it the Republic of South Africa, forgive my ignorance) have as many diverse cuisines as the U.S.?

I'm as curious about those as you are about ours. :)

Oh, and as soon as you pick the seven dishes from the U.S. get ready to hear howls of (gentle outrage) from many members here. I'll try not to join in.;)

Lisa Mmac----- Does South Africa (or is it the Republic of South Africa, forgive my ignorance) have as many diverse cuisines as the U.S.?

I'm as curious about those as you are about ours. :)

Oh, and as soon as you pick the seven dishes from the U.S. get ready to hear howls of (gentle outrage) from many members here. I'll try not to join in.;)

Hi cave76 and thanks for your interest. Officially Rep of South Africa, but we usually just say South Africa.

Bearing in mind that SA is a much smaller country than the USA (it's not even twice the size of Texas) we do have a fair amount of diversity in our cuisine, partly from the European influence from Dutch, British, German, French, Italian, Indian and Portuguese settlers to name a few, as well as the slaves from Indonesia who had quite an influence on the cuisine of especially the Western Cape area around Cape Town. As well as the African influence. Cooking with spices is quite a big thing in SA due to the Indian and Indonesian/Malay influences. The native food in SA is mainly meat and maize (corn) with some green vegetables. I think in the USA you have taken specialities and dishes from Europe and owned them and adapted them to USA far more than is the case in SA. Many popular dishes are recognized as being from their country of origin and not particularly adapted to SA. We have some really delicious dishes though, which I will post here when I have the time.

@Lisa Mac----- I'd love to read some of the recipes you've collected from SA.

BTW---- I tried clicking on your blogspot link but Chrome browser couldn't find it. Any way I can read it? Perhaps you have recipes there?

@Lisa Mac----- I'd love to read some of the recipes you've collected from SA.

BTW---- I tried clicking on your blogspot link but Chrome browser couldn't find it. Any way I can read it? Perhaps you have recipes there?

The link has been fixed.

Thank you! Now I'll start reading.

Oh good.:) I've only been blogging for a couple of months so I have a long way to go. Will be posting some South African recipes.

Next week I'm away on vacation to the other side of South Africa, in the Drakensberg Mountains. Hopefully I will be able to report on some good food from those parts.:)

Lx

As I mentioned before, there's nothing more American than a Thanksgiving feast, and for the most part, it's the same all over the country.

I agree! But we need to add dumplings on that list. :yum:

What I find interesting as that what you call biscuits, we call scones. And what we call biscuits you call cookies. We talk about chocolate chip biscuits. :wacko:

The scones that I've had are sweeter than biscuits, but the texture is similar. I love biscuits.....and cookies.....

Don't forget Chips vs Fries and Crisps vs Chips.

The scones that I've had are sweeter than biscuits, but the texture is similar. I love biscuits.....and cookies.....

Yes, we eat our scones with jam and whipped cream, whereas you eat your biscuits with gravy. I'm definitely going to do biscuits (USA style) one way or the other for my USA week. Probably with Sausage Gravy which seems to be a popular way of serving them.

We put butter and jam/jelly on our biscuits, too. Sometimes honey. Sometimes sausage, egg and cheese. Biscuits are basically a blank slate for sweet or savory.

Back
Top Bottom