Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, what great pics CG, Dawg, Captain, Rick, and SC!

Dawg and CG....can hardly believe how similar your backyard views are!

Captain, love the piggy pics. They look so happy and healthy.

Love the farm pics, Rick.

Sous....such cute puppy pics!

I so enjoy member photos. :)

We are dogsitting for our neighbor, and I asked my copilot to bring his dog "bandit" over for a visit. After they got through running and chasing, here is where they ended up

Bandit is on the left, and Lucy is on the right. They have been in love since they were puppies. All the neighbors think we should have a wedding.;)

Went for a walk today. Tide was in, so no beach, but a lovely walk anyway.

This is Banff, a small town near me with some interesting history that I won't bore you with at present....

img_1458863_0_4f041341a00137a246db3519b5992b4f.jpg

In town there is a cafe called "the broken fiddle" and on the wall is this sign..

img_1458863_1_dc216b34a5abb2b89e8d1e190851619c.jpg

Jamie Macpherson was the illigitimate son of a laird and a gypsy girl. When the laird died, Jamie and his mother joined the gypsies. Jamie became a good swordsman and a gifted fidddle player. He eventually became leader of the band of gypsies and embarked on a 'Robin Hood' lifestyle - robbing from the rich and helping the poor.

When the law caught up with him, he was sentensed to be hanged at the Merkat cross in Banff. On the gallows, he played his fiddle and then asked if someone would play it at his funeral. Nobody wanted to be guilty by association, so he broke the fiddle and threw it into the crowd, saying it should never be played again.

This sounds a bit like a Disney fairytale, but it is largely true. The official records are kept in the National Archives of Scotland, The fiddle is in the Macpherson museum and his sword is on display in the nearby Duff House. A few stories grew up round the trial, which most people believed was 'fixed'. These are a bit doubtful, but they make a good tale.

This is the Bahamian island where we lived for 2½ years. The island is 80 miles long and 4 miles wide at its widest. The beaches are amazing.

A panorama of the beach from our deck:
i-QVhT7wJ-XL.jpg

A beach about 6 miles north of us where we went often for a sheltered swimmimg spot:
i-GSXkw6V-L.jpg

My wife on our beach. The sand extends for more than 3 miles like this, usually without another soul in sight.
i-HwVNGBT-X2.jpg

Hate to be the curmudgeon here, but the term "Gypsy" is considered a slur. The preferred term is "Roma".

Perhaps in Montreal, but please bear in mind that this refers to events from the 17th century when Macpherson and his clan were also referred to as 'Egyptians'.
The term 'Roma' would hardly have been known at that time.

Last edited:
Perhaps in Montreal, but please bear in mind that this refers to events from the 17th century when Macpherson and his clan were also referred to as 'Egyptians'.
The term 'Roma' would hardly have been known at that time.
"Egyptian" is not that surprising. It used to be believed that the Roma came from Egypt and the word "Gypsy" comes from the word "Egyptian" or "Egypt".

The term "Roma" is preferred nowadays everywhere that people care about what people prefer to be called. I strongly doubt that "Gypsy" was never used as a slur in Scotland.

If it had been obvious that you were quoting something written in the 17th century, I wouldn't have commented.

Let's not get hung up on cultural differences. The word 'gypsy' is used now not to describe a group of people, but a lifestyle. For example, while shopping today, my wife was looking at what was described as a 'Gypsy dress'. Someone who travels a lot can be said to have some "Gypsy in them".
Historically it would have been used to refer to any itinnerant person / free spirit and not to a particular ethnic group. It was illegal in 17th & 18th century Scotland.

If you'd like a more full account, you may like to browse..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Macpherson

I'll leave you with a good Scottish term - Gaberlunzie - and itinnerant licensed beggar.

Shopping day today, but fortunately, the shops are beside the beach. The tide was out and the sun was shining. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, but here is a pic of Wife & daughter earlier this year.......

img_1458970_0_16f02bd63d407cd1ee45a5b780ba33dc.jpg

Near to where this was taken, Buffalo Bill's Wild West show performed in 1904 during his tour of the UK.

article-2544722-1AE7AC4A00000578-478_634x393.jpg

Your boys are absolutely adorable. It is so nice to see that parents are still teaching their children about getting properly dressed for an occasion. :angel:

I love the Easter pics of your sweet boys, Jon. Thank you for sharing. Your wife is a great photographer! :)

Back
Top Bottom