Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not much to say... moonrise and renewable energy... Just liked the composition.

i-Wv35HLx-X2.jpg

Hey RP, can I make a suggestion as a professional photographer? Don't distract attention from a nice image with huge copyright text. Your photos are protected by copyright laws, whether or not you announce it on the photo. All you are doing is messing up a really nice photograph.

Just my 2-cents.

CD

Hey RP, can I make a suggestion as a professional photographer? Don't distract attention from a nice image with huge copyright text. Your photos are protected by copyright laws, whether or not you announce it on the photo. All you are doing is messing up a really nice photograph.

Just my 2-cents.

CD

I don't really expect to take anyone to court, with or without the copyright. I use it mostly when I post to any of the several discussion forums that I visit, and I don't post anything larger than 1024 px on the long side. Just makes it harder for anyone to alter and use it. I realize that it's easy to cut it out, but copying a smallish jpeg and then messing around with it just degrades the file that much more, making it less attractive for anyone to "borrow". When using them for anything else, I export from Lightroom without the copyright.

I may take your advice and try it without on some photos. Thank's for the suggestion, Casey.

If I may ask, how long have you been shooting professionally? I've been on and off doing amateur stuff since the mid 70's (Minolta 102 35mm), but took a long break from putting any real effort into it for 20 years. Started getting back into it in 2010 when I bought my first DSLR (Canon T3i). Now I shoot with a 60D.

I don't really expect to take anyone to court, with or without the copyright. I use it mostly when I post to any of the several discussion forums that I visit, and I don't post anything larger than 1024 px on the long side. Just makes it harder for anyone to alter and use it. I realize that it's easy to cut it out, but copying a smallish jpeg and then messing around with it just degrades the file that much more, making it less attractive for anyone to "borrow". When using them for anything else, I export from Lightroom without the copyright.

I may take your advice and try it without on some photos. Thank's for the suggestion, Casey.

If I may ask, how long have you been shooting professionally? I've been on and off doing amateur stuff since the mid 70's (Minolta 102 35mm), but took a long break from putting any real effort into it for 20 years. Started getting back into it in 2010 when I bought my first DSLR (Canon T3i). Now I shoot with a 60D.

I got my BA degree in Art, with an emphasis on photography in 1983. I've been in and out of professional photography as a full-time endeavor since then. Like most people, I went where the money led me. I made the transition back to full-time photography when I was the Senior Art Director for three magazines, where I also did a lot of the photography. Now, almost all of my income comes from photography.

Back in the day, I shot Nikon, Hasselblad and Sinar film cameras. I now shoot Nikon digital cameras, with my primary camera being a Nikon D4.

I don't put copyright text on my photos, even though a lot of photographers do. The stuff I post on the web is low-rez, and not really suitable for commercial use. I can easily prove my ownership of any of my images, and in the few, very rare instances where some web site has used my photos without my permission, I have been able to contact them and tell them to stop using my images, or write me a big check. They have always agreed to my demands, which means they stop using my images -- they are not going to pay my fees.

I really do like your images. But, that copyright text is like a giant zit on a person's nose -- you can't help but look at it, and not see the person's face for what it is. If you feel that you have to do it, make it a lot smaller, so it isn't the first thing your eye wants to go to.

CD

Last edited:
I really do like your images. But, that copyright text is like a giant zit on a person's nose -- you can't help but look at it, and not see the person's face for what it is. If you feel that you have to do it, make it a lot smaller, so it isn't the first thing your eye wants to go to.

CD

It's kind of ironic that I'll take the time to remove or minimize an unwanted object in an otherwise decent image, then put that watermark in the corner. You are probably right that I'm just giving myself a false sense of security. Is this better?

i-L6jQL4N-XL.jpg

It's kind of ironic that I'll take the time to remove or minimize an unwanted object in an otherwise decent image, then put that watermark in the corner. You are probably right that I'm just giving myself a false sense of security. Is this better?

i-L6jQL4N-XL.jpg

WOW!

Just beautiful, Rick. You know it's an incredible picture when it makes you want to be there.

i-L6jQL4N-XL.jpg

Yes! I can now enjoy your photo without distraction. Very nice, BTW. I rarely get to shoot just for the art of photography. Keep up the good work!

CD

Today was a very unusual day, I shot about 5-million dollars worth of cars -- with just these three cars. A Porsche Carrera GT, a Porsche 918 Spyder, and a Ferrari Enzo. Somedays, it is good to be me. Others, not so much. :LOL:

CD

Attachments

• CarreraGTSample001.jpg
    CarreraGTSample001.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 918-Sample001.jpg
    918-Sample001.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 113
  • EnzoSample001.jpg
    EnzoSample001.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 127
Today was a very unusual day, I shot about 5-million dollars worth of cars -- with just these three cars. A Porsche Carrera GT, a Porsche 918 Spyder, and a Ferrari Enzo. Somedays, it is good to be me. Others, not so much. :LOL:

CD

Nice cars! If I ever got into one, I'm afraid I'd need some assistance to get out again. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have a blast if I got to drive one at a track. :cool:

I saw this really cool mailbox yesterday:

Don't suppose that a Star Wars fan lives there?

Last edited:
Update: I got the front cover with my Porsche 918 photo! It's been at least a year since I got a cover of an auction catalog. I'm out of my slump.

Oh, I got the back cover, too, with the Saleen S7. Woohoo!

CD

Attachments

• Front CoverS2018.jpg
    Front CoverS2018.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 117
  • BackCoverS2018.jpg
    BackCoverS2018.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 119
Update: I got the front cover with my Porsche 918 photo! It's been at least a year since I got a cover of an auction catalog. I'm out of my slump.

Oh, I got the back cover, too, with the Saleen S7. Woohoo!

CD

Excellent! You got 'em coming and going. :cool:

Here's my daily ride, shot taken on a day trip in the Colorado mountains. Slightly different class of vehicle, but I have to admit that I prefer the versatility. ;)

i-fSzd5kP-XL.jpg

RP, my daily driver is the same color, but it is a MINI CooperS -- about as different from your ride as you can get, other than a SMART. LOL

CD

Back
Top Bottom