Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is legal here. So is tinting. The front side windows can be a certain percent, and all the windows behind the driver can be as dark as you want.

What draws more "legal" attention in these parts is the tint of the driver, not the windows.

CD

It is legal here. So is tinting. The front side windows can be a certain percent, and all the windows behind the driver can be as dark as you want.

What draws more "legal" attention in these parts is the tint of the driver, not the windows.

CD

"more attention" unfortunate for whatever the reasons and also very true...

the legal part is the same here - the front and front side windows are regulated but the back ones are not.

Depends on the State rules. Trucks, stepvans, vans - don't have rear windows to begin with... just side mirrors.
That's terrible. But, you can't really compare to trucks and stepvans. I had a stepvan and the mirrors were huge and they gave visibility that car mirrors just don't. I won't even drive with my rear window iced over.

I was working in Austin a week or so back, and love that city. Their motto is Keep Austin Weird.

I pulled up behind this car covered in artificial turf. :LOL:

CD

Got a feeling that doesn't do much to help his drag coefficient. Likely loses a few miles per gallon, especially on the highway where aerodynamics has the biggest impact.

Anyone want to hazard a guess that there are golf clubs in the trunk. Handy if he gets stuck in traffic.

Taxy - I have driven trucks, stepvans, full-size vans and currently drive a mini-van. Side mirrors show so much more than a rear view. I'm not saying not to have or use one. But I have often driven my mini-van with furniture, animals, hay that easily block the rear view. I'm only saying it is not crucial.

Which reminds me of a sign on some rigs that I've often seen.
"If you can't see my mirrors... I can't see you."
I think that pretty much says it all. Because as you know if you get rear-ended it is never your fault.

Last edited:
Anyone want to hazard a guess that there are golf clubs in the trunk. Handy if he gets stuck in traffic.

Taxy - I have driven trucks, stepvans, full-size vans and currently drive a mini-van. Side mirrors show so much more than a rear view. I'm not saying not to have or use one. But I have often driven my mini-van with furniture, animals, hay that easily block the rear view. I'm only saying it is not crucial.

Which reminds me of a sign on some rigs that I've often seen.
"If you can't see my mirrors... I can't see you."
I think that pretty much says it all. Because as you know if you get rear-ended it is never your fault.
I rented a minivan. The mirrors were inadequate. I backed into someone in a parking lot. After hitting the other car, I tried to see what I hit. I couldn't, even while leaning towards the mirrors. I had to open the door to see the car. Luckily, it was deemed her fault. She had pulled out (going forwards) of her parking spot without looking.

My wife refuses to use the rear camera. She says it messes up the way she has always driven.

I'm not sure what that means. :huh:

Our current car has a camera. I’m conflicted using it. I find myself switching back and forth among the camera, mirrors, and head turning.

The rear camera would be better displayed in an HUD {heads up display) projected on the windshield. That way you don't have to shift your eyes much.

I drive 2 - soon to be 3- old cars, so I just swivel my head and use my mirrors.

Our current car has a camera. I’m conflicted using it. I find myself switching back and forth among the camera, mirrors, and head turning.

I'm not used to the reverse cameras, either. I use them as an "extra" set of eyes in cars that have them, not my primary reference. I use side view mirrors as my primary reference. I got in that habit driving big trucks, and still use it in my MINI CooperS. I only use the head turning thing to back up if I'm driving a classic car that has no side view mirrors, or tiny, worthless ones.

CD

I assume that overly dark tinted windows are outlawed in California because it's a driving impairment? It also brings to mind a police chase where dark windows are suddenly rolled down that shows 5 shooters firing back.

Last edited:
The mirrors were inadequate. I backed into someone in a parking lot. After hitting the other car, I tried to see what I hit. I couldn't, even while leaning towards the mirrors. I had to open the door to see the car..

LOL, taxy you were lucky! I admit it does take experience to drive with only side mirrors - large or small. The younger generation probably have absolutely no idea what it is like. Not to mention shifting gears! (that's another story)

Just be glad - it could have been like me... a 24' straight body that I backed into another parked car and put a beautifully perfect triangular humongous dent into a Crown Vic. hood and engine. I felt nothing as I continued to back up. Only found out after I pulled forward to straighten out a bit to fit into the spot. There was a new young jockey working at the time - I asked him why he didn't yell at me or something! all he could say was he thought I knew... wha??? you don't feel much in a truck that size, certainly not in slow motion of backing up. (ps. Budget on Sources LOL)

LOL, taxy you were lucky! I admit it does take experience to drive with only side mirrors - large or small. The younger generation probably have absolutely no idea what it is like. Not to mention shifting gears! (that's another story)

Just be glad - it could have been like me... a 24' straight body that I backed into another parked car and put a beautifully perfect triangular humongous dent into a Crown Vic. hood and engine. I felt nothing as I continued to back up. Only found out after I pulled forward to straighten out a bit to fit into the spot. There was a new young jockey working at the time - I asked him why he didn't yell at me or something! all he could say was he thought I knew... wha??? you don't feel much in a truck that size, certainly not in slow motion of backing up. (ps. Budget on Sources LOL)
Frelling inadequate mirrors was what the problem was. I never had problems seeing properly when backing up with truck mirrors. I was actually surprised by how much easier it was to parallel park the stepvan than a car. It didn't have power steering and weighed 3 metric tonnes and was still easier.

I was actually surprised by how much easier it was to parallel park the stepvan than a car. It didn't have power steering and weighed 3 metric tonnes and was still easier.

LOL... join the band, I still find it easier to back into a parking spot than to go in forward.

LOL again! once had a full size van stolen (remember Pascal Warehouse on Henri Bourassa, Saint Laurent?)- it was found 3 blocks away - guess they figured they couldn't get rid of a non-power steering and large block engine 440 (???please don't take me to task on that) gas guzzler.

Casey-Casey-Casey - did you ever think a simple photo would start such a conversation!

Back
Top Bottom