Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is really our town jail, built in 1929. I've been trying to learn when it last had an inmate, so far without luck. The town hasn't had a constable since my wife was in high school, And it was probably long before that when the jail was last used. It was cleaned up and painted and restored for the Fall Festival this weekend.

i-RnS9mZh-L.jpg

Marshall, VA.

I'll do that, Bucky!

***EDIT***

buckytom has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Sorry, cleaned out. I can't stop Casey from talking about Taylor Ham.

This is really our town jail, built in 1929. I've been trying to learn when it last had an inmate, so far without luck. The town hasn't had a constable since my wife was in high school, And it was probably long before that when the jail was last used. It was cleaned up and painted and restored for the Fall Festival this weekend.

i-RnS9mZh-L.jpg

Makes me want to ride a horse up, tie a rope to the bars, and pull them out racing away, hootin and hollerin.

I just stumbled onto this fun little spontaneous shot while looking for something else. I snapped it on the Galveston to Bolivar ferry. I call it, Air Traffic Control.

CD

Attachments

• AirControl001.jpg
    AirControl001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 132
I got that look from Ben and Mush the other morning when I got home a little late from work.

"Two legs, you are late with our treats!"

Attachments

• 0904180827a.jpg
    0904180827a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 126

Why don't you try the nearest town that does still have a jail? Perhaps they have a date - or time line - as to when they received prisoners from...

Why don't you try the nearest town that does still have a jail? Perhaps they have a date - or time line - as to when they received prisoners from...

I have a feeling that our jail was more for the occasional Saturday night when a cowboy or farmer gets a a bit feisty and starts a fight and has to sleep it off. The jail was built during prohibition, so maybe initially as a temporary hold for someone caught using liquor too openly? One of our friends is laboriously going through 60 years of town council meeting minutes to see if she can find anything on it.

RP - those look delish!
I searched but didn't find, have you ever posted your recipe?

I'm still not happy with mine, too wet, not enough rise, and the holes sometimes rival the actual size of the 'slipper'.

RP - those look delish!
I searched but didn't find, have you ever posted your recipe?

I'm still not happy with mine, too wet, not enough rise, and the holes sometimes rival the actual size of the 'slipper'.

Actually they are supposed to have some fairly significant air pockets. Mine don't always seem to form them, even from 2 loaves out of the same batch. It's just possible that it's my lack of expertise that's the culprit. The recipe is at Artisan Bread Baking. He has lots of info on techniques there as well as the recipes.

Actually they are supposed to have some fairly significant air pockets.

I searched but couldn't find my picture of this particular loaf, I'm sure I took one as it was so bizarre.

When I say the air holes rivaled the bread - I could have stuffed the loaf itself inside of the humongous air pocket.

Thanks for the link, pretty sure I've been there but with your success I'll certainly try again.

Last edited:
It's monarch butterfly migration time. They have been passing through town for the last week. We had several snacking on the asters in the garden, so I took the camera out and captured a couple of them.

i-jLtLPQT-XL.jpg

i-37scqWc-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom