Ready? Set? Go! Jan 23rd '24 Dinner, the winner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing new today, but was going to eat some more of those black beans, from a couple of nights ago. But after eating the last two tortillas I had (thought I had more in the freezer, but I had eaten them all!), I trimmed a bunch of the overgrown epazote in my hydroponics, and took it up to the Mexican shop in town - the owner loves getting that stuff! I got 3 large cans or chipotles (just opened my last of those), two large bags of corn tortillas, maybe 2½" thick, and something I always check to see if he has in the freezer - some tortillas, made with nixtamal, not masa flour, which has an incredible flavor. He doesn't always have it, but I get it, when it's there. Only 2 bags of them, only a little over an inch, but worth the extra price. I'll use some with these beans I have left, and the rest I'll Foosaver, and freeze them.

Here's one of the bags of corn tortillas, made with nixtamal.
The tortillas made with fresh nixtamal, not masa harina. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'm making a new kit recipe, Martha's Best Moroccan Meatball Stew with Spinach, Chickpeas & Mint. Here's a LINK TO THE RECIPE CARD. It sounds good to me & nothing I've ever had before. I'm going to bake the meatballs, as I just prefer them done that way. I'm thinking that some naan may go nicely with it. Everything it prepped. I'll start cooking soon.

We had smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, sliced onion, and capers. There were also baby dills. As you can see in the photo, there are sesame seeds everywhere, from the bagels. Photo is sort of a demo of how I arrange the goodies on my bagel halves. I put curved pieces of onion strategically into the cream cheese, so they can keep the capers from escaping. Then, the salmon goes on top. BTW, it was delicious.

Smoked salmon on bagels.jpg

Last edited:
I'm making a new kit recipe, Martha's Best Moroccan Meatball Stew with Spinach, Chickpeas & Mint. Here's a LINK TO THE RECIPE CARD. It sounds good to me & nothing I've ever had before. I'm going to bake the meatballs, as I just prefer them done that way. I'm thinking that some naan may go nicely with it. Everything it prepped. I'll start cooking soon.
Yummy! We enjoyed this meal very much. It was plenty and a couple of meatballs/stew left over. It has a little kick, so probably will not bring it over to MIL. I found a couple of recipe for the spice mix so I likely I will make it again, sans the kit.

I made lamb chops with a caprese salad. We had homemade hummus and pita bread for an appetizer.
I cut the chops from a trimmed rack of lamb and marinated them in a soy, roasted garlic, ginger, citrus and honey marinade with herbs. I cooked them in the oven in the marinade at 225F for 20 minutes (in a glass pan), then took them out of the marinade. I put the marinade pan back in the oven for 10 minutes at 300F, then took it out of the oven to cool. I pan seared the chops on the stove for about 15 seconds per side (cooked to medium-rare), then put them back in the reduced marinade and flipped them a few times. My arm is a bit sore now from patting myself on the back 🤣. My husband said it was off the charts fabulous.

The plating was ugly (juuces running everywhere) so no photo, but I took a photo of the leftover chops:
20240123_234151.jpg

I used the beef roast I thawed to make Hungarian goulash, or so I thought. It included some balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, tomato paste, garlic, and 2 cups of beef broth. And in the end, it just tasted like beef roast.

I'm not sure what to do to kick it up. I have a recipe for BBQ balsamic glazed chicken and I could make the sauce for that, but it has to caramelize onto the meat and I'm afraid I'd be chewing beef gum nuggets if I let them cook that long.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anything to do with balsamic vinegar, since I've already cooked the beef in balsamic vinegar for 8 hours?

I used the beef roast I thawed to make Hungarian goulash, or so I thought. It included some balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, tomato paste, garlic, and 2 cups of beef broth. And in the end, it just tasted like beef roast.

I'm not sure what to do to kick it up. I have a recipe for BBQ balsamic glazed chicken and I could make the sauce for that, but it has to caramelize onto the meat and I'm afraid I'd be chewing beef gum nuggets if I let them cook that long.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anything to do with balsamic vinegar, since I've already cooked the beef in balsamic vinegar for 8 hours?
Try a classic horseradish cream sauce?

8 oz Sour Cream
5 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon lemon zest + 2 Tablespoons lemon juice

You can cut the recipe in half. You could use vinegar instead of the lemon...but this is my favorite version of Horseradish Cream Sauce.

Xocolatl, I think bliss meant "with Whole Wheat" toast. Took me a long time to figure out some of these "short forms" and "initial only" references.

Getting there, but there were two that drove me nuts for the longest time. l/o = leftovers and ISO = in search of.

ISO which co-incidentally, also means 'International Standard Organization' it also means something to do with security processing info bunch of gobbledy gook - which I still don't understand. Many company have these banners strewn across their buildings- I thought it was some global corporation taking over the world. :cautious:

Xocolatl, I think bliss meant "with Whole Wheat" toast. Took me a long time to figure out some of these "short forms" and "initial only" references.

Getting there, but there were two that drove me nuts for the longest time. l/o = leftovers and ISO = in search of.

ISO which co-incidentally, also means 'International Standard Organization' it also means something to do with security processing info bunch of gobbledy gook - which I still don't understand. Many company have these banners strewn across their buildings- I thought it was some global corporation taking over the world. :cautious:
Lol thanks for letting me know! 😄

We had smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, sliced onion, and capers. There were also baby dills. As you can see in the photo, there are sesame seeds everywhere, from the bagels. Photo is sort of a demo of how I arrange the goodies on my bagel halves. I put curved pieces of onion strategically into the cream cheese, so they can keep the capers from escaping. Then, the salmon goes on top. BTW, it was delicious.

View attachment 67718
"strategic onions"!!! Love it!

Yes, when I first joined here and people talked about WW toast, I (not knowing anything about Weight Watchers) assumed that was what they were referring to. After I while I figured out it referred to bread made with whole wheat flour, LOL.

Stumped me when someone referred to rot chick (rotisserie chicken) as well, I was hoping it wasn't rotten chicken!

View attachment 67718
I like warming up the cream cheese and stirring in the shallot/onion, capers, and smoked salmon, then spreading it on the bagel. Nothing falls off! Of course you could not mix in the smoked salmon and place it on the top if it has something to do with the balance of the bite.

I like warming up the cream cheese and stirring in the shallot/onion, capers, and smoked salmon, then spreading it on the bagel. Nothing falls off! Of course you could not mix in the smoked salmon and place it on the top if it has something to do with the balance of the bite.
So, mix the onion and capers into the cream cheese and then put the smoked salmon? Yeah, that might work. I'll just let the cream cheese come to room temperature. The one I get is quite spreadable, even straight out of the fridge. I like it better than most other brands because it tastes good and has reasonable ingredients: PASTEURIZED ORGANIC CREAM AND PARTLY SKIMMED ORGANIC MILK, SALT, BACTERIAL CULTURE.

Yes, when I first joined here and people talked about WW toast, I (not knowing anything about Weight Watchers) assumed that was what they were referring to. After I while I figured out it referred to bread made with whole wheat flour, LOL.

Stumped me when someone referred to rot chick (rotisserie chicken) as well, I was hoping it wasn't rotten chicken!
LOL - that one threw me for a loop as well! Turned me right off, don't know what they were making but I could not think of it as being tasty, far from it. Sort of gagged a bit - even after I figured it out - just not an appetizing thought.

The phrase you "eat with your eyes" is very true - but you also "eat with your imagination/power of suggestion". :LOL: rot does NOT work for me -:sick:!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom