Recipes for ground beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
Hello Everyone
I am in need of some recipes using ground beef, or cheap cuts of meat or chicken, that will help out a person in need trying to budget... I know we have an amazing amount of talent out there... I'm kind of depending on you all to help me help her...

XOXO Mimi :):):)

I like the.....

BBQ Beef Bowl

1 lb ground beef, lean
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce

1. COOK meat with peppers and onions in large skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until meat is browned, stirring occasionally.

2. ADD tomatoes, corn and barbecue sauce; mix well. Reduce heat to medium, simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.

3. SERVE over rice. Top with shredded cheese and green onions

Servings: 4

Author Notes
For spicier flavor, stir in hot sauce or ground red pepper (cayenne) to taste.

I like the.....

BBQ Beef Bowl

1 lb ground beef, lean
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce

1. COOK meat with peppers and onions in large skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until meat is browned, stirring occasionally.

2. ADD tomatoes, corn and barbecue sauce; mix well. Reduce heat to medium, simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.

3. SERVE over rice. Top with shredded cheese and green onions

Servings: 4

Author Notes
For spicier flavor, stir in hot sauce or ground red pepper (cayenne) to taste.

Thankyou... Could you use this on a bun, like a sloppy joe kinda thing???

Mimi, a hundred years ago, in my other life, I had a little cookbook called "101 ways to cook hamburger" and I think I tried most of them as a new bride on a very tight budget. In those days of long ago, hamburger was less than 50cents a lb !! I remember making sloppy joes with a half lb. of meat, one can of tomato sauce and an envelope of onion soup mix. It wasn't bad.
Today I don't think decent hamburger is a bargain at all, when you can get a whole Foster Farm chicken on sale for 67cents a lb. just yesterday at the grocery. Teach your friend how to cut up a whole chicken, a skill everyone on a budget should know in my opinion.Even if she doesn't master cutting up a chicken, a 5 lb home roasted whole chicken can cost a little more than $3.00 and provide several meals.
I wish your friend the very best.;)

Mimi,
What does your friend like to eat? How many people?
Does she/ he like to cook from scratch?

Were paying $4.49 a Lb here for hamburger. It's not cheap stuff.
Just off the top of my head other meats come to mind that might be a better choice and have more versatility.

Munky.

All the following suggestions are inexpensive to make and there are multiple recipes for them here and all over the net.
For ground beef:
Cottage pie, like shepherd's pie but with ground beef
Meat loaf
Old-fashioned chili & beans that was always mild
Spaghetti and tomato sauce with ground beef
Ground beef and cheese casserole
For Chicken:
King Ranch casserole
Mexican quesadillas or enchiladas
Chicken pot pie
Apologies if these are all too obvious but sometimes the 'most' obvious is forgotten and winds up the best way to answer the question.

I made this a couple of weeks ago when we had company over. It also works well to package up freeze and take for work lunches. Tastes great and easy to do.

Tamale Pie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
Serving Size: 16

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons canola oil
3 yellow onions, chopped
3 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 to 5 serrano chilies, seeded and minced
4 1/2 lb. ground lean beef, browned, drained
4 cups corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
1/4 cup ground cumin
4 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
3 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt, plus more, to taste
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 cups prepared cornbread mix, mixed to package directions
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
Sour cream for serving

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 400°F.

In an All-Clad lasagna pan or a large, deep sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil until almost smoking. Add the onions, bell peppers and chilies and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

In the same pan over medium heat, cook the ground beef, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the onion mixture, the corn, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, tomato paste and the 3 Tbs. salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes. If the meat mixture was cooked in a sauté pan, transfer it to a lasagna pan. Sprinkle with the cilantro.

Put the corn bread mix in a large bowl and stir in the cheese. Prepare the corn bread batter according to the package instructions and spread the batter evenly over the meat mixture. Bake until the corn bread is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let the tamale pie rest for 20 minutes before serving.

Notes:
Fills 16 x 12 pan.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and yes your right ground beef is kind of expensive now a days... I will take your advice K and teach her how to cut up, and debone, a whole chicken... I will also grind some of it, when she needs it, so that she may use it as a ground product...

Munky there are three she must feed...

XOXO Mimi

Thanks K, I never knew about the fat line trick, very interesting... Opening my bottle of Vino and going on vacation now... I will PM you and let you know how it was... XOXO

You could always invite her here. Were open 24-7.

Ham, roasts, turkey, whole chickens, ground pork. Gotta have bacon. All work for stretching out the menu and budget.

The crock pot/ Ethnic section here is full of great recipes. Always something good cookin' somewhere.

Munky.

You could always invite her here. Were open 24-7.

Ham, roasts, turkey, whole chickens, ground pork. Gotta have bacon. All work for stretching out the menu and budget.

The crock pot/ Ethnic section here is full of great recipes. Always something good cookin' somewhere.

Munky.

You never invited me... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Basic meatloaf is always a winner with me. I serve it with mashed potatoes and sweet peas. It's not fancy smancy as far as adding wine and other stuff, but it's delicious.
BTW, this recipe came from a Heart Association Recipe book. I opted to add the chili sauce on top towards the cook end time rather than mix it into the ground beef.
You can halve this recipe's ingredients if you have 1 lb. ground beef instead of 2 lbs.

2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 slices of bread soaked in 1/2 cup milk
1 large onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
3 Tbsp Chili sauce

Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pat the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on a flat oiled baking dish or cookie sheet. Bake 50 -60 minutes.
During the last 10 minutes of cooking, spoon some chili sauce on top. I crease the center of my meat loaf mixture (before cooking) to keep the chili sauce from running off the sides.

Stretching chicken to the point it looks almost rubber.

Two days ago, I got two rotisserie chickens at the local supermarket. There are two of us and we ate half of it with some side dishes. I used the carcass and the ends of carrots, a small onion, and celery leaves to make a stock, and then cut the celery and carrots to make soup after straining the stock. I had some frozen peas that I tossed in along with some of the left over chicken after shredding it. Added some noodles to give it some "weight." The soup lasted two days. Some fruit on the side made the soup great. Another handful of remaining chicken could go on top of some pasta or the sesame noodles! One chicken would have been plenty for what I have above. With two, I ended up freezing the meat from second chicken.

Had I waited until today, my rotisserie chickens would have been a mere five bucks each due "Five buck Chicken Friday" at the local supermarket. Of course, I could have rotisseried it myself for cheaper...but still. It's pretty good ways to stretch a chicken!

~Kathleen

Low-cost recipe ideas for ground beef, chicken, and pork.

To stretch high-priced meats, fillers are often added, as in meat loaf. Done well, they will give you a wonderful meal. Done poorly, and you end up eating something that tastes like sawdust. Though fillers mixed in with ground beef can be very tasty, I prefer to use the ground beef , or inexpensive meat cut in other dishes. You can usually add a few choice ingredients together and come up with something that tastes great and is very nutritious to boot. Here are some examples. If you want the recipes, just ask and I'll be glad to send them along.

Beef:
1. Beef stir-fry
2. Beef Mexican Volcano (a special meat loaf)
3. Carne Asada Beef Burritos (grilled meat burritos)
4. Beef with baked beans
5. Beef with savory beans
6. Beef Stew
7. Beef Soup
8. Hamburger soup
9. Beef and rice pilaf
10. Sirloin Beef Sandwiches (and yes it stretches the meat dollar)
11. Chili Con Carne (chili with meat)
12. Cheeseburger taco (sounds strange but tastes yummy)
13. Taco Salad
14. Shredded beef tacos
15. Pot Roast
16. Whole wheat Macaroni with tomato sauce bolognaise (sometimes called goulash, or slumgullion)
17. Shephard's pie
18. Meat Pie
19. Hamburger hash - truly yummy and cheap
20. Sloppy Joe's
21. Juicy and delicious shrink-proof hamburgers
22. Classic meat loaf
23. Salisbury Steak
24. Sizzle Steak
25. Philly cheese steak
26. Open-face beef sandwich
27. Grilled chuck steak with rice and cilantro
28. Beef roulade
29. Beef and cabbage Soup
30. Marrow-bone soup
31. Various kinds of meatballs

Pork:
1. Pork and beans
2. Pork and baked beans
3. Pork and barbecue beans
4. Roasted Boston Butt
5. Pulled Pork
6. Breakfast Sausage
7. Stuffed Pork Chops
8. Pork Steaks
9. Country style ribs
10. Corn Soup
11. Barbecued Pork chops or steaks
12. Open Faced pork sandwiches
13. Home made sausage patty sandwiches
14. Vevetized Pork for stir-fry's
15. Pork meatballs (Has a distinctively Asian flavor)
16. Pork pot pies
17. Savory Pork hocks with lentils
18. Savory Pork with split pea soup
19. Velvetized pork lo mein
20. Smoked pork with scallopoed potato
21. Substitute ham for many of the above-listed ideas

Chicken and poultry
1. Chicken noodle soup
2. Chicken with rice soup
3. Chicken with dumplings (sliders) Soup
4. Chicken with dumplings (biscuit style) soup
5. Chicken with pearl Barley Soup
6. Cream of chicken soup
7. Shepherd's pie made with diced chicken
8. Chicken Pot Pie
9. Chicken caserole
10. Chicken flavored rice pilaf
11. Chicken Divan
12. Chicken Salad for sandwiches
13. Breaded Chicken fingers
14. Chicken velvet (not to be confused with velvetized chicken)
15. Chicken meat balls (and yes, these are amazing)
16. Breaded chicken with pineapple sweet and sour sauce
17. Chicken chop suey, with great veggies and a mild-sweet sauce
18. Vevetized chicken for stir fry's
19. Tempura chicken balls
20. Oven-fried chicken (juciest, most fool-proof way to prepare fried chicken)
21. Chicken Alfredo
22. Chicken Caciatori
23. Bacon wrapped Chicken with mushrooms
24. Roasted Chicken
25. Smoldering chicken (my own spicy recipe)
26. Basic grilled chicken
27. Shredded chicken with 3 sauces
28. Roasted garlic chicken pieces
29. Roasted Garlic Chicken
30. Stewed Chicken

Ok, that should give you ideas. I do have cookbooks written for beef, pork, and poultry, not to mention soups, stew, and chowders, if anyone is interested. But that's not what this is about. Select any of the above ideas and I'll post the recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom