Runny Peach Crisp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I'm going to make a peach raspberry crisp tomorrow but I don't want to end up with a runny filling. Would you recommend cornstarch? and how much? I have 8 large peaches, about 3lbs and will throw in 1/2 a pint of rasps. These are juicy fruits but like I said I don't want it runny. Any help is appreciated!

Yeah you could use a cornstarch slurry. I could'nt tell you how much to use, something that you will have to go slowly and add some bit by bit to get the consistency you want.

Make sure you mix the cornstarch thoroughly with a little bit of water first to avoid lumps, you want a sort of runny paste consistency. After you add the slurry you will have to bring the mixture to a simmer for a bit for the thickening power to kick in.

Corazon, why don't you just toss the cut up peaches and raspberries in either cornstarch or flour? As it bakes, the stuff that you coated your fruit with will thicken the crisp. My Mom always told me that however much sticks is the amount you will need to thicken the crisp/pie you are baking.

Having said that, I haven't done a lot with peaches before. Raspberries yes, peaches no. I imagine they would be the same though.

I've used Alix and her mom's method on peaches and blueberries with great results. I would say use about 2 tablespoons of flour (what I usually use) for a 9 x 13 pan of fruit.

Never thought about doing it this way with fruit. Well it works with meats when you want to braise them, so why not with fruit.

This may help...

Here's my recipe for Apple Crisp. It turns out right every time. I'm sure you could substitute your peaches and berries. Make sure you cook it long enough to get the top crisp. If you serve it with vanilla ice cream, it won't matter if it's extra juicy. (I usually add more granulated sugar...probably 3/4 cup.)

Apple Crisp

* 3 pounds tart apples
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup rolled oats
* 4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (opt)

Peel, core and chop apples, toss in a bowl with lemon juice to prevent
darkening. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and
nutmeg; stir into apples. Set aside.

In another bowl combine flour, sugar and oats. Cut butter into 8 pieces,
and cut butter into flour until mixture looks like crumbs. Stir in nuts.
Butter a 10 X 10-inch baking dish. Spread apples in bottom of baking
dish then sprinkle with flour mixture. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes, or
until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm or at
room temperature.

I ended up tossing the peaches in 3TBS of flour and crossing my fingers. I don't think it was quite thick enough but I also didn't want the flour power to be too much. My husband says it's good. He's so big on the fruit desserts that when I make something I usually let him eat all of it and I happily stick to chocolate.

I talked to a friend who makes a lot of different fruit crisps, and he told me he always mixes fresh bread crumbs with his fruit to soak up the extra juice. He says if you don't do that, you should toss the fruit with flour or cornstarch.
I guess I'm just lucky with my apple ones.

OH HEY! I forgot, I sometimes throw oatmeal in with the crisp to soak up some juice. We like it better than bread crumbs. Thanks for the reminder Constance.

Back
Top Bottom