Saturday Dinner - 5/28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Comfort Night !
Shrimp Mac 'n Cheese.....
Tater Crowns with Sriracha Ketchup

Shrimp Mac 'n Cheese 5-28-22.jpg

I grilled nice juicy traditional burgers for dinner tonight. Cole slaw as a side.

IMG_0109.jpg

As luck would have it, today is National Burger Day! Sometimes you're cool and don't even know it!

For supper, I made a Cuban style pork roast. Served it with mojo, brown basmati rice, and a salad with homemade vinaigrette. That was really good. The mojo is so full of flavour, it's a delight. I'll be using that with other dishes. Even though we both ate too much, there are leftovers (as planned) for Cubano sandwiches for the coming week.

Cuban style pork roast with mojo, brown basmati rice, and a salad.jpg Cuban style pork roast with mojo, rice, and a salad.jpg

I simmered bratwurst in sauerkraut and beer, served them over mashed potatoes, and added pickled beets to the plates for some color. Even if it had been an all beige plate, it would have been tasty.
IMG_20220528_212218337.jpg

taxy, did you make your own sauce?

The mojo? Yes. I'm very pleased with the recipe I found for it. I marinated the pork in the mojo and the baked it swimming in the mojo. Then we put it on the slices of pork and on the rice.

Last edited:
thanks taxy, as most recipes I've seen use "sour orange juice". What did you use for that?

Don't think I've come across that term before, or maybe have and just don't connect the dots?

Sounds delish, btw. on my possible list?

It's funny, Mac'n Cheese, Shrimp being two of my most favourites - I've never had them together!
Hamburgers coming up tonight on the grill for my baby son's b'day.
and CG, that's another thing I've never done. Although I've had Brat and Sauerkraut many times, never actually simmered the brats in the kraut! Another addition to the possible list.

We had leftover pizza. It was about as good as the first night. I put the pizza on a "pizza screen" and reheated it in the oven.

dragn, have you ever had Mac 'N Cheese with crab? Yum! I first saw the recipe on a news show,, I think, about 10 years ago. The original recipe link seems to be broken & I'm not finding it on WSU's website either, so I put it on my CopyMeThat page - https://www.copymethat.com/r/vQGcPjCL5/mac-cheese-cougar-gold-with-crab/

thanks taxy, as most recipes I've seen use "sour orange juice". What did you use for that?

Don't think I've come across that term before, or maybe have and just don't connect the dots?

Sounds delish, btw. on my possible list?...

I used a combo of regular orange juice and some lime juice. The first recipe I used said to use regular orange juice and lemon juice. I like this one better, but that might have been because of the addition of fresh, chopped mint.

I looked at a lot of different recipes. Many said to use sour orange, but if you can't find it, use o.j. and lime or lemon.

This is what was in the mojo I made yesterday:

4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of freshly ground cumin
1 small handful of finely chopped fresh mint (oops, the recipe says to add that after the roast is done and the mojo is being used at the table)
1 tblsp dry oregano (it was supposed to be 2 tblsps finely chopped fresh oregano)
1/4 cup orange juice, about 1 orange
2 tblsps lime juice, about 2 limes
2 tblsps olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Back
Top Bottom