Saturday, October 21, 2023, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Michael Symon's stuffed chorizo burger with caramelized onions and cilantro. Also made his charred broccoli and buttermilk dressing, but i added some potato wedges. I parcooked both veges a bit. I did all the prep. Craig did the grilling.

The burger is a full size burger BTW, a 1/2 pounder actually. Perspective is off. I didn't make it through the burger, ate about 2/3. Craig finished 1 and mine. Didn't eat all the wedges either, but ate my broccoli!

20231021_190945.jpg

I've been waiting for a new BBQ joint to open.
I called in a take-out order of what to me is the gold standard in Q.
IMG_3263.JPG

All fatty Brisket, Coleslaw for Mrs.NextDoorNeighbor (I had made my own, but she had said that she wanted to try theirs, so I gifted this to her-I did take a tasty and was excellent) and the topped was Smoked Beans, a-yum!
I made a small sample plate and everything, it was lovely.
I made some sides of my own to go along side, my Mac Salad, Corn Bread and as mentioned, Coleslaw.
That's what's for dinner, later.

A couple days ago, when I trimmed all those kaffir lime tree branches, I knew I had to cook some Thai curry! Yesterday I got busy in my workshop too late, so I had to do it today! I had about 3/4 c red curry paste left in the freezer, and my last 3 c of curry milk in the pantry. I cooked some thighs for the chicken (chicken breast just doesn't work for me, in Thai curries), and got that ready early. Later, I got the veggies ready, some of the last from the garden - eggplants, long beans, okra, one of the two onions, and a few of the mild peppers, cut into chunks. The okra and onions I cooked first, then the eggplant, long beans, peppers, and Swiss chard stalks went in, for 10 minutes. Then I removed the li.e leaves, and stirred in the chicken, to warm up, followed by the Thai basil. I served this on a mix of jasmine rice, and some millet - something I mix with jasmine rice, so I'm not eating just starch. I cook them together in the IP, but put the millet in early, to soak 15 min or so, while fixing other other things, then add the jasmine rice, and set it in "rice" mode, which pressure cooks on low, for 12 min. I set that when I added the okra and onions to the curry, and they were ready a little early. The millet has little flavor, and the jasmine is still strong here.
The Thai curry started, with the curry paste cooked in a small amount of the coconut milk, until separated, then mixed with the milk. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The second batch of vegetables added, after cooking the okra and chunks of onions first. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooked chicken, added last, just to heat through, before adding the Thai basil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

50/50 jasmine rice and millet, which I add for the nutrients, and the flavor of the jasmine rice remains in the front. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished batch of the Thai curry, with chicken, eggplant, okra, peppers , long beans, onions, and stalks from Swiss chard. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Was having "one of those days", so I decided not to cook and order out instead. We tried new-to-us Korean resto that people in the neighbourhood FB group have been raving about. Quite disappointing. DH ordered the bibimbap. I ordered Korean fried chicken with rice, vegi dumplings, and japchae (vegi stir fry with glass noodles). The chicken was pretty good. Everything else was pretty bland. The kimchi, although drier than other kimchi that I have had, tasted watery, it was also bland. There was a small salad of iceberg lettuce, cucumber, and a single grape tomato. The salad dressing was so sweet that I didn't use it. DH added chili crisp and black bean sauce to his, which improved it. I added chili crisp and tamari, which rescued the rice. There were two dipping sauces that were fairly ho hum too. It wasn't bad. It was food. We won't be ordering from them again.

I sauteed sliced Hungarian hot peppers, red bell peppers, onions, and baby portabella mushrooms, then folded in a bit of heavy cream and provolone cheese until blended. I turned it off, covered it, and set it aside while the soy-based marinated NY strip steak was cooking (at around 200F for about 25 minutes). I gave the strip a quick sear on both sides in the cast iron skillet in a bit of butter (MR). While the steak rested i stirred the steak juices from the pan into the veggie/cheese mixture. While the buns were toasting i sliced the steak into thin slivers and folded them into the veggie/cheese mixture on low heat.

So good that I ate 2 sandwiches! I'm so full...I have no regrets though, lol.

DD brought over two sandwiches for lunch yesterday from a new to us restaurant. One was pastrami and the other was corned beef. Both on rye. Pickles on the side. We shared half of each sandwich. They were pretty fat sandwiches, so I had half for lunch and half for dinner. Was good, will order from there again.

Was having "one of those days", so I decided not to cook and order out instead. We tried new-to-us Korean resto that people in the neighbourhood FB group have been raving about. Quite disappointing. DH ordered the bibimbap. I ordered Korean fried chicken with rice, vegi dumplings, and japchae (vegi stir fry with glass noodles). The chicken was pretty good. Everything else was pretty bland. The kimchi, although drier than other kimchi that I have had, tasted watery, it was also bland. There was a small salad of iceberg lettuce, cucumber, and a single grape tomato. The salad dressing was so sweet that I didn't use it. DH added chili crisp and black bean sauce to his, which improved it. I added chili crisp and tamari, which rescued the rice. There were two dipping sauces that were fairly ho hum too. It wasn't bad. It was food. We won't be ordering from them again.

A month or so ago found out our favorite Korean place closed at end of April because the landlord demanded a huge rent increase. Drove by there a couple days ago and the building sits empty with the old Korean restaurant signage on it.

Smooth move landlord. Drive out a long standing, paying tenant by being greedy, and now have a building sitting empty for the last 6 months.

A month or so ago found out our favorite Korean place closed at end of April because the landlord demanded a huge rent increase. Drove by there a couple days ago and the building sits empty with the old Korean restaurant signage on it.

Smooth move landlord. Drive out a long standing, paying tenant by being greedy, and now have a building sitting empty for the last 6 months.
The pathetic part is that the landlord is probably getting some tax write-off, saying they are losing money on the empty building.

The pathetic part is that the landlord is probably getting some tax write-off, saying they are losing money on the empty building.
Around here they do that to "prove" that the zoning isn't ideal. They want to tear down stuff and put overpriced condos and need a zoning change to do it.

Well, it's a separate out building from a small shopping center, with a couple of vacant shops as well. And, it's in a commercually zoned area. There aren't going to be homes of any kind going in there unless the zoning gets changed for blocks and blocks on either side

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom