Saturday's Food Fight - 7/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Saturday Comfort ;
Pulled Pork in BBQ Sauce on a toasted Onion roll, Mini-Pizza Rounds (Yellow Squash),
Buttered Carrots, Red Potato salad.......

Sandwich, Pulled Pork .jpg

It's been another busy day for me, trying to get my errands completed and home before the Monsoon Storm starts up today. Those things scare the pee-wad outta me!

Anywhos, we have a new Japanese/Chinese/Thai restaurant just opened two towns up from us and I've been waiting for them to get their feet under them. The Yelp review lately have been pretty good, so as I was finishing up my last errand, I placed a call for a take-out order of Teriyaki Salmon Lunch Bento Box. I did an upsell to Lo Mein from the steamed White Rice. It includes soup and a salad, not bad for $15.

IMG_0712.jpg

"Served with Miso Soup, Salad, California Roll, Pot Stickers and White Rice (or Brown Rice add $1, Fried Rice add $2, Lo Mein add $3, only one choice)"

DH and I are going to share this, along with leftovers from last night's dinner.
I'm very hopeful! We wanted to try a take-out and see if we liked the food at this new place. If we don't care for it, we're only out $15 rather than going to dine-in and spending a heck of a lot more.

Had a Salad (mixed greens, multi-colored cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives, green olives, sliced mushrooms, and hard-boiled egg) with Ken's Blue Cheese Dressing and "Everything but the bagel" seasoning for dinner.

salad_071021_IMG_8263.jpg

Another good day for grilling and it's the weekend, so DH grilled some hot dogs (called campfire sausage) and the buns. I made a salad to go with that (baby rainbow chard, green crisp lettuce, red onion, fresh thyme, feta, and almond slices. It was dressed with my infamous makes-enough-for-a-week vinaigrette. We each put mustard (yellow for DH, old fashioned seedy mustard for me) and onions on all dogs, sauerkraut on one and relish on the other. DH had an extra dog.

Part of my plate and some of the fixings:

Griled hot dogs, Linda's plate.jpg

DH's plate, he put the last of the bean salad on top of today's salad.

Griled hot dogs,Stirling's plate.jpg

Last edited:
When I started pulling out salad fixings, Himself said that he is getting tired of salads. *gasp* After I piled greens (romaine, red leaf,arugula) into my bowl, I made a relish dish for him with the same veggies I was prepping for my salad - carrots, celery, radish, cuke, tomatoes, corn. While he got a scallion, I put salad olives in my bowl. I proceeded to cover everything with shredded mozzarella cheese and leftover chicken. Himself can eat up the other leftovers - a bit of pork chop and scallops from last night.

Creole/Cajun meatloaf made with bulk fresh andouille and ground turkey. Glad I didn't let it cook the 2 hours like the recipe suggested. The 1 hour I let it cook was too much, should have checked at 45 minutes. It was a little dry, but tasted very good. You'd never know it had ground turkey in it, ate porky and meaty. Mashies and peas and carrots as sides.

Another good grilling day for us, too, and it sure helps my sprained arm when DH does the majority of the cooking :wub:

So, grilled burgers and corn and I made a riff on a caprese salad by adding diced cucumber, fresh parsley and pickled banana peppers from the garden to the usual tomato, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. I used red wine vinegar because I like it better than balsamic on this.
20210710_200527.jpg

We were out at Storm lake with hod dogs roasted in the cooking fire, and s'mores for all except me. I can't eat them (heavy sigh) Hot dogs were simole, roasted to perfection by my very talented DIL, and place on a bun with yellow mustard, catsup, and sweet pickle relish. I'd not had campfire roasted hot dogs in so long that the intensely great flavor was a real treat. Plus, I was outdoors with my family. I almost hate washing the clothes I wore, as they smell lightly of the campfire smoke.:LOL: It was a very good day, even though my physical limitations now slow me down dramatically.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Creole/Cajun meatloaf made with bulk fresh andouille and ground turkey. Glad I didn't let it cook the 2 hours like the recipe suggested. The 1 hour I let it cook was too much, should have checked at 45 minutes. It was a little dry, but tasted very good. You'd never know it had ground turkey in it, ate porky and meaty. Mashies and peas and carrots as sides.

That sounds like a great mixture for the meatloaf volcano, with enchilada sauce as the lava. If yor are unfamiliar with meatloaf volcano, and are interested, here's a link - https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/mexican-meatloaf-revisited-105650.html

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom