Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My whole wheat pastry is to die for--very light and flaky. I prefer it over my AP pastry. I have frozen peas from the garden--was thinking of adding those. I was thinking of adding some diced tomato as well since I still have tomatoes up to my....but, I might end up with more filling than pastry...I guess I could always make more pastry. Would you blind bake the bottom crust for a bit before filling them?

How about partialy blind baking it? After all the filling is already cooked. All you are doing is heating it up in the pie crust. :angel:

I know the dates on these posts are older but hopefully still get looked at. I have a question regarding the mini pies. I just purchased the mini pie baker and cannot wait to use it. My question is can you make pumpkin pies in it? I've never made a pumpkin pie but. . . .

Welcome to DC :)

Purple is the color for those who have a pie maker. If you read some of the old posts, you will notice that there is a mother ship that looks over us. The ship is purple.

Welcome to DC. :angel:

Yes you can make pumpkin pies. There may be a recipe in the sweet mini pies thread. I don't remember for sure. I cover the pumpkin pies with parchment paper before closing the lid. You do not have to have a top crust. I hope this helps you.

Mascarpone and Prosciutto Mini Frittatas

4 large eggs
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
a pinch of pepper
3 to 4 slices prosciutto, cut into small strips
1/4 cup grated or shredded cheese (fontina, Parmesan, Provolone, mozzarella)-- I'd probably use Swiss/ Jarlsberg,
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped

Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 6 muffin cups

In a bowl, whisk eggs, add mascarpone, salt and pepper. Whisk until mascarpone has no lumps and is smooth. Stir in cheese, prosciutto and parsley.

Add egg mixture to 6 muffin cups, filling each almost to the top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until tops are puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately or room temp.

Leftovers may be refrigerated and reheated. Makes 6 muffin size frittatas.

Adapted not copied from Wishful Chef(dot com) (Appetizes)blog dated March 16, 2012

I made the very full tart from plenty. It would make a great pie. Roasted zucchini, peppers, onions, eggplants, sweet potatoes. Tomatoe on top and sprinkles of ricotta and feta with an egg and creme filling to hold it together. It was YUMMY

Breakfast Scotch Eggs

4 Large hard boiled eggs
1 Lb Ground Breakfast Sausage
3 Eggs Whiskadoodled :)
2 C Seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat the pie maker

Make sausage patties
Wrap the sausage around each egg sealing the ends
Dip the wrapped eggs and sausage into the whisked eggs. Coating evenly. Roll into the seasoned breadcrumbs. Add them to the preheated pie maker.

Close and lock the lid
Bake for 15 minutes

img_1196290_0_53195f17193e2627fdff277fc0d69d5e.jpg

Those look fantastic! Shrek want to make those! He says, "I think I saw panko in the pantry..."

Lovely! They look like Scotch eggs, or what I would think Scotch eggs look like.

They still look great even with a bit of charring :)

4 Large hard boiled eggs
1 Lb Ground Breakfast Sausage
3 Eggs Whiskadoodled :)
2 C Seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat the pie maker

Make sausage patties
Wrap the sausage around each egg sealing the ends
Dip the wrapped eggs and sausage into the whisked eggs. Coating evenly. Roll into the seasoned breadcrumbs. Add them to the preheated pie maker.

Close and lock the lid
Bake for 15 minutes

img_1199628_0_53195f17193e2627fdff277fc0d69d5e.jpg

Supposed Lasagna?

Well, I gave it a shot. This didn't work out. Forgot I was out of parchment paper, so I had tried to make these several ways.

1. using a cupcake liner for the top and bottom. Don't do that at home unless you like the taste of paper. Kinda chewy stuff. It stuck to the pasta. I had to really yank it off. It wasn't going to budge.

2. Not a good idea to use the pasta roller attachment. Forgot to turn it down a notch. Put the filling in and topped it with another sheet. Have to admit that wasn't one of my better moments. Especially sense I added a little more sauce and cheese on top. Closed and locked the lid. Set timer 10 minutes. Remember the egg incident? This time I didn't get the chance to hide behind the fridge door. Yeah, boy it was a messy mistake. :LOL:
Pics of that are unavailable.

3. Wising up just a bit. Got the correct thickness down to where I could actually use 2 sheets. Loaded it up. Gave it 10 minutes. I'll get to how that turned out.

4. Didn't like #3. This time I took 1 sheet, added a teaspoon of sauce and cheese's. Rolled it up jelly pan style. Topped with a little more sauce and cheese. Gave it 10. Seriously anyone interested in lasagna taco's? :ROFLMAO:

5. Called it a day. This didn't work no matter what I did. The pasta cooked alright. On the inside. The outside, oh man.. Having some mercy for me yet? I could barely cut it with a serrated knife. It was hard as a rock.
My husband would have issues if I brought a dish like that to the table with a portable chainsaw. He'd freak! LOL!!!!

You guys, I know are waiting for the picks. You can't say I didn't wish you a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! :ROFLMAO:

Munky.

img_1201239_0_4515979ab679bca247cc85dafb80c412.jpg

Well, they look cute and good! Okay, we found something that doesn't work in the piemaker!

Cute as a Cobra, look at that cute button nose. :LOL:

Maybe Shrek can find some way of making it work. We want our mini lasagna's, like yesterday.

Munky.

Cute as a Cobra, look at that cute button nose. :LOL:

Maybe Shrek can find some way of making it work. We want our mini lasagna's, like yesterday.

Munky.

He says it will only work with already cooked noodles and a layer of sauce on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom