Silpat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
Since I'm incredibly fussy, Sherrie always tells me to just buy what I want for Christmas (saves on the returns). I really don't want/need much right now. I don't have any Silpat sheets - are they something worth having? I've decided to pass on the silicone mitts - are the silicone pot holders any better?

I like Silpat because I hate cleaning my cheesy cookie sheets after making two or three batches of cookies. They are pricey (about $20), so it's a good thing to ask for for Christmas.

Silpats are indispensable, especially if you're fond of cookie baking.

I love my Silpats. I bought them a very long time ago when they were not that widely available and have been using them religiously whenever I bake.

They are great not only for baking but also if for drying cookies or pretzels etc dipped in chocolate. Nothing sticks on them so cleaning cookie sheets is a thing of the past with them.

Parchment works as well but I like Silpats better.

I love my Silpats too!

Can someone please tell me how one is really supposed to clean them and take care of them? I was told not to rinse them with any liquid and never bend nor fold them.

So after use, I just wipe them clean with kitchen towels. But I can't get all of the oil off. And they've turned brown in some places. How can you prevent spot browning of the Silpat? Thanks!

Huh! Very interesting, said Igor. I don't have them, just use parchment paper. But I have wondered about them. Hmmm... May just have to test drive one one day!

Audeo, I'm old fashioned right in there with you! Parchment paper has always worked just fine for me, and I honestly can't see paying $25 for one sheet of the stuff. I get parchment paper from a baking supply company, comes flat in 'whole'pan size, and I just cut it to fit whatever I want. I've had the box now for 3 years, and am only halfway through it, lol!

Chopstix, I've lightlly rinsed mine with no ill effects. Can't help re: the brown spots cuz I haven't had any yet. To store, I roll mine up - not too tightly - and secure w/rubber band.

Ha, marmalady! I bought a huge roll from Sam's about two years ago and have about half of it left, too!!! And I doubt that I paid more than $6 to $7 for the whole roll!

I haven't priced the Silpat's, but EGADS -- are they THAT MUCH???

Er...nevermind that test drive!

Check your restuarant supply store - I found the professional silicon sheets $15 for quarter size [based on the whole sheet pan size I guess] have not used them yet tho...

Otter said:
Since I'm incredibly fussy, Sherrie always tells me to just buy what I want for Christmas (saves on the returns). I really don't want/need much right now. I don't have any Silpat sheets - are they something worth having? I've decided to pass on the silicone mitts - are the silicone pot holders any better?

awww, otter, don't you buy any surprise gifts for each other? ya gotta have something little that you don't expect. that's the whole meaning of giving gifts at christmas. otherwise, it's just an exercise in capitalism...

buckytom said:
awww, otter, don't you buy any surprise gifts for each other? ya gotta have something little that you don't expect. that's the whole meaning of giving gifts at christmas. otherwise, it's just an exercise in capitalism...
We buy a few surprise gifts for Christmas, but mainly we each buy what we want during the year and tell the other that's what they got us for Christmas. I know, bah humbug!

I use my Silpat religiously....wash in soap and water anytime with no ill effect. One of the best things I like about my Silpats is you do not need to grease/butter/pam spray the surface. When baking something as delicate as a coconut macaroon...when you pull the pan...it stops baking, so you do not need to watch the finished product in the oven as much. I also have the muffin trays and you never need to use papers if you don't want.
I use my silpats under nachos, chicken wings, warming up ribs...and the list goes on!

Silcone baking mats are something on my "someday" list. I've been looking around and this is what I have found out about the various brands (assuming a standard cookie sheet size of 11"x15" to 12"x16"):

Not all mats are made the same and cleaning and storage are different according to the brand. Some say you can hand wash with soap and water, some say just wipe with a damp towel, some others say don't get them wet - just shake or wipe them with a dry towel. Some say to store flat - others say you can roll them up. Some are good for 1000 uses - some for 3000+ uses. Temp ranges also vary - some are 450-480 F, some as high as 580 F.

The one thing that I have noticed about them it that based on price vs number of uses they average right about 0.7 (7/10) cent per use +/- a little (0.64-0.72).

Parchment paper (that I have been able to find locally or on the Internet) runs anywhere from about 5-cents to 15-cents per sheet - depending on where you get it and in what quantity.

Crunching the numbers - 3000 uses of a silicone mat will cost you about $20. 3000 sheets of parchment paper at 1-cent will cost you $30, at 5-cents $150, at 15-cents $450.

Wow, Michael, thanks for working out that comparative study! Makes me feel good about my silpats! I got them from a wholesaler for about $11 each here. But they didn't come with any instructions on proper care and use. Parchment paper is pretty expensive around these parts, if you can find it at all.

Thanks mudbug and pst1can, for the feedback on care and use! :)

Michael in FtW said:
Crunching the numbers - 3000 uses of a silicone mat will cost you about $20. 3000 sheets of parchment paper at 1-cent will cost you $30, at 5-cents $150, at 15-cents $450.

...and good ol' Crisco is :?: :?: :?: ... (sorry - couldn't resist :LOL: )

subfuscpersona said:
...and good ol' Crisco is :?: :?: :?: ... (sorry - couldn't resist :LOL: )

Causes a change in the browning on the bottom ... that is why recipes call for baking on an "ungreased" pan. That is why parchment paper (silicone impregnated paper) and silicone baking mats are used ... they are non-stick without the grease.

I have used foil, waxed paper, parchment paper, butter, Pam, nonstick and all the other things you can use to make your cookies. Never fails, some of them always burn. I am not fond of parchment, and like others have said, it's not inexpensive or else, I've bought at the wrong stores all this time. I bought 3 boxes at Pic N Save years ago and they're for Papiot (SP?) wrapping of packages for food baking. Like you put your food in there, wrap it up and bend the edges, then bake. But they were still $1.99 for each box and there isn't a lot in the box. I've wanted Silpat or any other kind of baking silicone sheets for ever. I have found them a couple of times on the Amazon.com Friday sale but it's been 'after' Friday so I always seem to miss the bargain.

This is no lie. For my Christmas list, I ask for Silpat Sheets, Le creuset dutch oven in 7 and/or 9, 11, 13 quart sizes, barbecue flipper with the knife cutter on one side, counter top pasta roller, and that's it. Wanna bet me I get none of the above? My DIL told me she's done Christmas shopping and being 9 months pregnant, I can't ask her to redo me. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom