Smoked five-spice drumsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I'm not sure I haven't already posted this recipe. If so, please forgive, I tried looking and although I talked about the tendon removal don't actually see the recipe. This is for a member (hi K!) as we were talking about tendons in chicken legs.

SMOKED FIVE-SPICE DRUMSTICKS​

INGREDIENTS;

16 chicken drumsticks
1 Tbsp chopped garlic (15 mL)
2 tsp Chinese Five-Spice (10 mL)
2 tsp chopped ginger (10 mL)
2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce (30 mL)
2 Tbsp Oyster Sauce (30 mL)
2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar (30 mL)
2 Tbsp Honey (30 mL) (I use Agave)
Hickory Chips for smoker
Sliced Water Chestnuts & a variety of Vegies to serve​

Cut the ‘knobs’ off the drumsticks with a good pair of kitchen shears. Giving the drumstick its Asian look.

This next part is not necessary and tedious to do but I like to pull the tendons out of the drumsticks as best I can. Using a tiny slip-lock wrench, a sharp short paring knife, dexterity and determination, grip each tendon and scrape the meat back along it, pulling all the while. If you don’t scrape back at the same time you will lose too much of the meat that is attached to the tendon.

Place chicken into a zip-lock bag. Whisk together the 7 above spices and pour over the chicken, squeezing out as much air as possible, zip it up and refrigerate for 3 hours (or even overnight).

Set up your smoker as per manufacturer’s instructions. Shake off excess marinade from drumsticks, (save the marinade) place drumsticks into smoker and you’re good to go! I find it takes about 20 - 25 minutes to cook thoroughly.

Bring leftover marinade to a boil and cook thoroughly (don’t forget it had chicken sitting in it for several hours!). I let it simmer the entire time the chicken is cooking. It reduces down to a syrup but check it after about 12 minutes to make sure it hasn’t reduced too much.

Prep some veggies to go with the water chestnuts. I stir-fry them and drizzle the syrup of marinade over them at the last minute.
Mushrooms, zucchini, sweet red pepper.

I did 8 legs, pictured 4 so I had plenty of sauce left over but that's OK - great on rice!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 155
Ohmygosh, thanks so much for hunting the recipe down! Lots of the tedious work for the drumsticks can be done on a stool at my breakfast bar to save so much standing. I like to wear surgical gloves doing jobs like this, and pretend I'm a surgeon. :rolleyes:

The recipe looks and sounds just delicious, and something I'm going to enjoy doing. :chef:
I just realized I can use my stove top smoker too...I'm a happy girl.

Last edited:
oops just noticed posted one of the pics twice...

correction pic this is the 4th one (lol - my DIL unfriended me wit that pic!)

and yes, it is definitely a sit down job!

Attachments

• 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 152
I just noticed your perfectly lovely veg. side dish...that's right up my alley too!
Prep some veggies to go with the water chestnuts. I stir-fry them and drizzle the syrup of marinade over them at the last minute.
Mushrooms, zucchini, sweet red pepper.

I may do this with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts or wings.

Back
Top Bottom