Stirling's Pasta Sauce Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Stirling's Pasta Sauce Recipe​

Ingredients

• olive oil for frying
• ½ cup chopped black or green olives, with pimento is fine
• 4-8 ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms or about a handful of coarsely chopped dry ones (optional)
• 1 or 2 chopped bell peppers, any colour (optional)
• 4 large cans of tomatoes or 3 x 670 ml jars of passata
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 whole bulb (8-10 cloves) of garlic
• ¼ cup of dry oregano
• ¼ cup of chopped, fresh parsley
• 5 or 6 basil leaves
• 1 sprig of fresh thyme or ~ 1 tsp dry
• ½ habanero pepper, finely chopped
• 3-4 small dried peppers, crush them as finely or coarsely as you like
• 250 grams of diced celery, ~4 large sticks of celery
• 1 pound of ground beef or pork
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tsp crushed red pepper

Preparation

1. Brown the ground meat with the onion, garlic, habaneros, and bay leaves in the olive oil in a large pot
2. Remove the bay leaves when the meat is browned
3. Drain the liquid from 2 of the cans of tomatoes and discard
4. Empty the two full cans and the two “dry” cans into pot with the meat. If using passata instead of canned tomatoes, empty all three jars into the pot and rinse with a bit of vegetable stock.
5. Add all other ingredients
6. Slowly bring to a simmer and continue simmering for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached

This makes a lovely, vegan sauce if you just omit the ground meat.

Last edited:
sounds really good taxy and knowing full well there are many here who would even up the peppers... but for me...

wooo hooo! sounds like a hot sauce with 3 dried peppers, the piece of habanero and then more dried crushed peppers!

I am going to try it - just with a tamed down version. Always/still looking for the perfect tomato sauce. Thanks!

copied and saved

Yeah... it does seem like a lot of sauce. What do you mean by "4 large cans of tomatoes"?
I'm thinking 28 (or so) oz. of whole peeled tomatoes. Total up the ml of passata (basically crushed tomatoes) and convert the result into ounces. There are online converters.

It is a lot of sauce. I'd freeze the extra in quart-size containers.

Last edited:
keep in mind that 2 of those cans are "drained"

but yes - I would think it will serve 6 or 8/more, according to individual servings - there is a whole pound of meat in there.

Yeah... it does seem like a lot of sauce. What do you mean by "4 large cans of tomatoes"?

I'm thinking 28 (or so) oz. of whole peeled tomatoes. Total up the ml of passata (basically crushed tomatoes) and convert the result into ounces. There are online converters.

It is a lot of sauce. I'd freeze the extra in quart-size containers.

I asked Stirling. He said, yes, 28 oz cans of tomatoes. The amount of passata was a guess that we used and it worked well. He says that the amounts are approx and very forgiving. Type of tomato is based on your personal preference.

Yes, it makes a lot of sauce. We do freeze some of it. The resulting amount is about as much as the amount of tomato. The other veg doesn't add much and it reduces during the simmer. A lot of meat makes the resulting volume increase.

Just curious Taxy which olive is your preference to use ( black vs green), since they'd likely give noticeably different results. I think Id like both.

Green, but I didn't even know there was black olive oil. Like most of the recipe, change it up to suit your taste. Stirling often changes it up a bit.

Green, but I didn't even know there was black olive oil. Like most of the recipe, change it up to suit your taste. Stirling often changes it up a bit.

I like to use Trader Joe's Kalamata Olive Oil for salad dressings. Especially Greek salad dressing.

tjkalamataolivefront1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom