Strawberry muffins. Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook

I tried this recipe and I admit had to use both wheat and gluten free flour to have enough at the time, and used powdered sugar for most of it since I was low on granulated too.

I found it did cook completely, but still seemed kind of wet inside. The batter was thin. I think strawberries contain maybe too much water, and the butter seemed like a lot. I tasted the butter and cinnamon better than the strawberries. It actually seemed like adding oatmeal might of helped the flavor. Perhaps there is a part of a strawberry that contains most of its flavor? I was thinking I could run them through juicer and keep the solid remains to help concentrate it? Any ideas for this?

Powdered sugar doesn't work the same as granulated sugar, which holds on to moisture. Try it again with the correct ingredients. Use very ripe strawberries for the best flavor.

Follow the recipe directions and use the ingredients shown in it. Cooking is an art, but baking is a science. Here's a tip for you; freeze the chopped strawberries so the juice doesn't ruin into your batter or dust the pices with flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin.

You might want to read this article I found on ratio's for muffins. Interesting but for me a bit confusing (but that's easy to do, :LOL:)
I think, as much as I have never had a problem with Ina Garten's recipe, that perhaps there is just too much butter?
Anyhow, check this article out. and see what you think.

The only success I have had making fresh strawberry muffins is to use 1/4 inch dice or smaller. Any bigger and they turn snotty...

Another option is Freeze dried strawberries.

I had the same type of density issues with savory mushroom muffins and turned to freeze dried mushrooms for success.

Another thought is to use a recipe for a sweet muffin that you make successfully and has the desirable texture and just add Strawberries to that batter.

Another vote for following recipes as written before trying to add your own creative spin.

Some British recipes use a basic muffin mixture and add a teaspoon of good quality strawberry jam when filling the muffin cups.

I would probably stick with a basic muffin and serve them with butter and whatever jam I happen to have on hand.

Good luck!

You might want to read this article I found on ratio's for muffins. Interesting but for me a bit confusing (but that's easy to do, :LOL:)
I think, as much as I have never had a problem with Ina Garten's recipe, that perhaps there is just too much butter?
Anyhow, check this article out. and see what you think.
Interesting guide but I assume the fat is mostly the butter but it is liquid in this recipe. Can it be reduced to compensate for wetness of fruit? Particularly if I increase that amount to add flavor?

I've always thought of muffin batter to be more liquidy than cookie batter and thicker than cake batter. Before you add the strawberries, how does your batter seem? About the same as other muffin mixes you've done up? I would not reduce the eggs but perhaps some of the milk? maybe that extra 1/4 cup? or even just an 1/8th?

I've always thought of muffin batter to be more liquidy than cookie batter and thicker than cake batter. Before you add the strawberries, how does your batter seem? About the same as other muffin mixes you've done up? I would not reduce the eggs but perhaps some of the milk? maybe that extra 1/4 cup? or even just an 1/8th?
It's the butter I was hoping to reduce. I don't care about eggs. Add more, I don't care. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom