Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update. At least 70 homes have been identified filled with gas. That is not counting the homes that are already burning from the explosions. Several private citizens are also in the hospital.

Right now all the electricity is off in the three towns that have homes burning. And it is very dark out. No street lights, so with just the flood lights from the fire equipment to provide some light the firefighters are working.

The interstate is backed up for miles. So if you live in one of the three towns affected by all this, all exits to leave the interstate are closed. The nearest usable exit is now in NH. And the only vehicles allowed to come down from NH are the emergency vehicles.

Himself and I just finished watching a live press conference about a half hour ago. It was Gov. Charlie Baker, along with the mayors of the three cities affected by over-pressurized gas lines: Lawrence, Andover (home of Jay Leno, BTW), and North Andover, and the head of MEMA. Latest accounts there have been between 60 and 80 confirmed structure fires, three explosions, approximately 25 people taken to hospitals with about half of them treated and released. Only one reported fatality, and it was a quirky one. A young man, only 18 years old, had pulled into the drive of a friend he was visiting. At that moment the house exploded, causing the chimney to topple from the structure and land on the car. :ohmy: I guess when it's your time to go, it's your time to go...

No one from the utility company (Columbia Gas) was at the news conference; however, there were utility reps at a meeting conducted by the governor, et al, before the presser. From the look on Charlie Baker's face, we were trying to decide if he had tied the rep up or nailed him to the wall. All I know is if I ever need someone to protect me in a fight, I hope the MA governor is nearby.

Gas explosions cause dozens of fires in Massachusetts towns

Crissy called about four this morning. Pirate's son is being held over on the job. Crissy and her two children heard from him during the early hours this morning. Needless to say, he is exhausted and Crissy and the children are staying with family (Great, great Grandparents) closer to Boston in Saugus. Nonna doesn't know what is going on. She thinks Crissy just brought the kids to visit her.

Thank you everyone. I wouldn't want to be the rep from the gas company sitting across from the Governor. I hope he has his check book wide open. Andover and North Andover are mostly bedroom communities. The folks in Lawrence are mostly Spanish and most of them do not speak English and live in apartments.

Pirates youngest son lives in an all electric house. But they still had to evacuate to Saugus. Poor Nonna. She must wonder why the G'kids are all visiting at the same time.

Had a stray thought this morning..

Picked up a sack of bagels and a couple tubs of shmear..

Took some to SIL's house.. Left him a note that the shmear is in the icebox...

Had to chuckle.. Who says "icebox" these days?...

This guy still does... :ROFLMAO:

Ross

Had a stray thought this morning..

Picked up a sack of bagels and a couple tubs of shmear..

Took some to SIL's house.. Left him a note that the shmear is in the icebox...

Had to chuckle.. Who says "icebox" these days?...

Ross

This guy still does... :ROFLMAO:

This old lady does. My mother had one and due to her brace on one leg, it was up to me to empty the big pan of melted ice!

A balloon filled with helium that you set adrift with a small blinking light attached. Where it ends up, nobody knows. Attached to that blinking light is a small note.

Of these two, which one?

"A light shines that it may find you."

"A light shines that you may find it."

Thank you everyone. I wouldn't want to be the rep from the gas company sitting across from the Governor. I hope he has his check book wide open. Andover and North Andover are mostly bedroom communities. The folks in Lawrence are mostly Spanish and most of them do not speak English and live in apartments.

Pirates youngest son lives in an all electric house. But they still had to evacuate to Saugus. Poor Nonna. She must wonder why the G'kids are all visiting at the same time.

I have been following this story, but still don't know much. It looks like things we take for granted went very wrong. If so, it could happen in my town, so I hope they figure it out... and don't just try to cover it up.

AT&T is installing fiber optics cables in my town. After the installers broke over 100 gas lines, the city shut them down. I'd love to have that super high-speed internet, but over 100 punctured or ripped up gas lines? The reason I know that is because I had to stop at a roadblock, and mentioned to the police officer that this must be the 20th gas line break, and he said "we are way over 100."

Oh yeah, AT&T was using the lowest bidder.

CD

Please don't let it break...

I hope we don't need to buy a new fridge :ermm: this one is jam-packed with food. I was sitting quietly reading email when, all of a sudden, the fridge starts making a buzz-saw noise, not something I usually hear from that behemoth. Having been instructed by Himself over the years to resort to the unplug-wait-plug back in thing when something digital acts up, I did that with the fridge. So far, only the normal, usual sounds. I think I'll be using up my inventory from the freezer - you will be seeing a lot of chicken and shrimp dinners in the next couple of weeks. :LOL:

I hope we don't need to buy a new fridge :ermm: this one is jam-packed with food. I was sitting quietly reading email when, all of a sudden, the fridge starts making a buzz-saw noise, not something I usually hear from that behemoth. Having been instructed by Himself over the years to resort to the unplug-wait-plug back in thing when something digital acts up, I did that with the fridge. So far, only the normal, usual sounds. I think I'll be using up my inventory from the freezer - you will be seeing a lot of chicken and shrimp dinners in the next couple of weeks. :LOL:
Loud noises can usually mean the fan bearings..When a compressor breaks, it just stops..If you can get at it try and give the stem coming out of the motor a spray with WD40 or spray grease..might help..keep your coils dust free also..it will add years to any refrigerator..

Thanks for the suggestions, Rock. Himself was guessing that same thing. Besides, the compressor is making the same "tick-tick-tick" it always has since it was replaced years ago.

I think we won't be able to do either of those things, though. All of the components are behind a back panel that's fastened down tight as a drum. And the only vacuuming going on is through a vented panel less than a square foot big.

Speaking of fridges...

we're always told to keep your freezer full - it's more efficient that way... true.

what we are NOT told is don't "overstuff" your refrigerator. Last month I had to chuck out frozen lettuce, cucumbers, found frozen eggs (was able to rescue those) and various other things frozen that weren't meant to be.

Over filled fridges cannot circulate air properly, causes long running episodes and other things I cannot explain properly - all because it was filled to the gills.

Speaking of fridges...

we're always told to keep your freezer full - it's more efficient that way... true.

what we are NOT told is don't "overstuff" your refrigerator. Last month I had to chuck out frozen lettuce, cucumbers, found frozen eggs (was able to rescue those) and various other things frozen that weren't meant to be.

Over filled fridges cannot circulate air properly, causes long running episodes and other things I cannot explain properly - all because it was filled to the gills.

Being a single guy, my main reason to not overstock the fridge is to avoid what I call "science projects." Despite my best efforts, I still sometimes grow some furry things in my fridge, but not very often.

As for the freezer, I vacuum seal my long-term freezer items, so they are good to go for a long time. And, yes, a full freezer is more efficient. Thermal mass. Science.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom