Sunday dinner, March 10, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Homemade porcini flavored pasta, with a sauce of fresh frozen porcini, onion, garlic, a few crimini leftover, cream, chicken stock, and ParmR with garlic rolls.
20240310_190846.jpg

Breakfast for supper here: sausage links, scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, and fluffy fluffy pancakes with blueberries. It was my maiden voyage with the griddle-in-the-middle on my gas range. It has a cast aluminum plate with a non-stick surface. Took a while to get the heat adjusted right, but nothing burned and they turned out great! Sadly, I didn't think to take a pic...

Did you use a powder for the porcini flavoured pasta?? Approx. ratio?
I used ground up dried porcinis we did in a coffee grinder. It has stainless steel cups that can be lifted out and washed between uses so nothing tastes like what came before.

Honestly, I don't remember how much I used. I found the dough during my freezer clean out. It was enough to darken the raw dough to a light Sable brown. The pasta lightened up a bit while cooking. I do remember using the porcini powder to replace some of the flour, and mixed it in with the flour before adding liquid. Sorry.

IMG_3750.JPG

We just got back from Las Vegas, where I did some "shopping". We went to an International Market that has all of my favorite ingredients. I was over the Moon to find fresh Rice Noodles that I have been craving for years! I bought 6 pounds worth.
So first dinner back home last night was Beef Chow Fun or Beef Ho Fun, YUM!!!!

What are "Claypot noodles"?
Otherwise known as Yee Mee noodles. It’s really just the technique you use - a claypot (from most Asian grocers). Soaked in water to ensure that the pot doesn’t crack.
Often made from terracotta or something similar and generally glazed on the inside but porous on the outside to absorb the water.
A claypot is used in a medium hot oven so the finished result is somewhat different than a regular stir fry noodles.
Generally, a fried and dried wheat noodle is used, not a rice noodle.

How very interesting. First I've heard of asian dish using clay pot like that. It is so common in many ofher cultures.

Edit: yes, I know of donabe pots, but I was thinking more along the lines of almost frying in them as you do with a tagine.

Last edited:
In Anchorage, we went to a place called Whiskey and Ramen. They had whiskey....and ramen....and a few appetizers and assorted drinks. I'd go back! My drink was like a creamcicle. Frank had a smokey old fashion. The appetizer is calamarie. We both had ramen and then Baked Alaska.

20240310_182719 (1).jpg
20240310_180929.jpg
20240310_183027.jpg
20240310_190150.jpg

You're killing me here Kathleen!
Please describe the Calamarie? Never heard of and don't recognize it. Squid?

and those Baked Alaska as individual serv ings. How Cute!

That is something I would like to try.

My mom was quite successful with Baked Alaska. But I remember her last one most vividly.
When sliced into - the Ice Cream literally slurped all across the table. Was the biggest hit of all the Ladies Afternoon Tea's that year.

Last edited:
@dragnlaw Frank just corrected me. It is octopus grilled and wrapped in a thin dumpling and steamed. It was coated in a shallot with some sort of sauce and then topped with scallion and bonito flakes.
20240310_180929.jpg

The baked Alaska was pretty solid inside. No idea how cold it was before they put the meringue on or whether they froze the meringue prior to pouring the liquor over it. It was nearly devoured before we caught a picture of it.

20240310_190417.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom