Tailgating Sundays!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A coworker of Kathleen was very generous and gave her a nice deer roast, a little under 2 pounds.

Of course much discussion happened on what to do with this windfall, and in the end we decided deer stew would be lovely for a cool football Sunday.

As I mentioned, Kathleen got me a new dutch oven for my birthday. Well, she took it back. In its place she got me the Lodge enameled one. She had second thoughts about the first and I agreed, it was blue. We both wanted red.

Having the new, unused, dutch oven might have been the tipping point for deciding on the stew. Kathleen is making fried bread to go with.

What do you have planned for your tailgating celebrations?

Football is a casual concern this weekend as the Patriots are off. Food, however, is never a casual concern.

SO and I are busy this weekend with household stuff and condo association financial stuff and haven't planned dinner. I'll surprise you.

So I wasn't feeling well last night and as such I didn't prepare for today. In the end we will likely just order pizza or sushi at some point. We do have some sausage and sauerkraut leftovers as well. Who knows.

I had hoped to do something with this special BBQ sauce I have, but not this week.

What are you tailgating with this week?

So I wasn't feeling well last night and as such I didn't prepare for today. In the end we will likely just order pizza or sushi at some point. We do have some sausage and sauerkraut leftovers as well. Who knows.

I had hoped to do something with this special BBQ sauce I have, but not this week.

Nothing again this week, but next week I will be making tailgating food. Maybe I'll even take a picture of it on my tailgate ;)

Sorry you're not feeling well - I'm going to make lemon-garlic greek roasted chicken. I'll probably roast some potatos with it, and some kind of veggie. Since I'm not a football fan my tailgating will consist of cooking, cleaning and laundry. I have the Mary Shelly classic Frankenstein recording as we speak so I can watch it after football. Living with football nuts - is nuts! :glare:

We both have been sick. I generally become congested when the weather fluctuates. Regardless....tailgating must go on. And Frank looks pitiful with his jersey and Browns blanket and no food. :ohmy:

I'm trying to use up things at home rather than let them go bad. I had a pack of mini-buns, so I got some very lean ground beef and made sliders. I browned little patties (weighing about 1.5 ounces). When they were just done, I pulled them from the pan and tossed in some minced onion and water, then put the patties back in and covered them with buns to let the bun steam. After a minute, I removed the buns and cut the heat. I recovered the patties for another minute after putting little sharp cheddar cheese squares on Frank's sliders. On to the buns, added pickle and browned, steamed onion, and, on Frank's, mustard and ketchup. A side of tater-tots to go with it and we called it "tailgating."

Last week, we had a Krispy Kreme fundraiser at work. I was gifted with a box of 12 glazed donuts, from which we ate four. Dessert tonight will be a bread pudding made with stale donuts. :)

~Kathleen

Last edited:
We both have been sick. I generally become congested when the weather fluctuates. Regardless....tailgating must go on. And Frank looks pitiful with his jersey and Browns blanket and no food. :ohmy:

I'm trying to use up things at home rather than let them go bad. I had a pack of mini-buns, so I got some very lean ground beef and made sliders. I browned little patties (weighing about 1.5 ounces). When they were just done, I pulled them from the pan and tossed in some minced onion and water, then put the patties back in and covered them with buns to let the bun steam. After a minute, I removed the buns and cut the heat. I recovered the patties for another minute after putting little sharp cheddar cheese squares on Frank's sliders. On to the buns, added pickle and browned, steamed onion, and, on Frank's, mustard and ketchup. A side of tater-tots to go with it and we called it tailgating.

Last week, we had a Krispy Kreme fundraiser at work. I was gifted with a box of glazed donuts, from which we ate four. Dessert tonight will be a bread pudding made with stale donuts. :)

~Kathleen

You are a GREAT Tailgating Helper!!! Sounds really good.

Oh my. Hope you both feel better soon!

There's some kind of Creeping Crud going around. I can relate!

Fritos Pie on my tailgate today.

Attachments

• fritos pie tailgating.jpg
    fritos pie tailgating.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 168
Fritos Pie on my tailgate today.

Looking good!

For today I wanted chicken thighs, Kathleen wanted pork chops. After much discussion I decided "why choose: so I got both.

We have a BBQ sauce someone sent, a huckleberry sauce, that I have been dying to try so I sauced up some of the thighs. Going to be eating in just a minute, but I wanted to get this up while it is still tailgating time. :D

What are you cooking to get ready for football?

We're having a delayed Halloween today because of the wide spread power outages in the area. I'm going to have to get my grandson to run from house to house so we can get back to the TV to watch the game.

I'll be making a batch of ACS (American Chop Suey) ahead of time so we can reheat and eat between the ringing of the doorbell.

We're having a delayed Halloween today because of the wide spread power outages in the area. I'm going to have to get my grandson to run from house to house so we can get back to the TV to watch the game.

I'll be making a batch of ACS (American Chop Suey) ahead of time so we can reheat and eat between the ringing of the doorbell.

Maybe you can take one side of the road and he the other.
:LOL:

Thanks Frank ;)

I made a huge batch of steel cut oat porridge, with a little brown sugar and a warm blanket, I am ready for the games to begin.

Thanks Kathleen. It was better than I thought it would be, lol.
The chili softened up most of the corn chips, so they were easy to eat. No wonder it's a popular tailgating food in TX. (or so I read)

Back
Top Bottom