Tassimo vs Keurig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leaning toward Keurig. I can get the machine at Staples for $124, the k cups are on sale there too at the moment. Costco carries replacement cups. Bed Bath and Beyond carries a cool drawer thing to put under your machine to store all your cups in, and the My K Cup thing to put your own coffee grounds in is only $14 there.

I'm going to research Tassimo now.

Leaning toward Keurig. I can get the machine at Staples for $124, the k cups are on sale there too at the moment. Costco carries replacement cups. Bed Bath and Beyond carries a cool drawer thing to put under your machine to store all your cups in, and the My K Cup thing to put your own coffee grounds in is only $14 there.

I'm going to research Tassimo now.

I have two of the drawers and BBB has another brand of "use your own" cup that is $7, Solofill Cup. Much easier to use than the My K Cup. The My K Cup you have to remove part of the assembly to use, the Solofill fits right in like a regular K cup.

OK, Tassimo is cheaper both for the initial machine and the cup things. The initial purchase for machine can be as low as $80, and the cups as little as $.48 each. It also features a manual water stop or add on. I can't find out if the Keurig has that.

The Keurig has that nifty little My K Cup thing though. I like that. *sigh* Does anyone know if you can buy one for the Tassimo? I can't find one online.

Money or gadget? I'm torn.

Last edited:
I have two of the drawers and BBB has another brand of "use your own" cup that is $7, Solofill Cup. Much easier to use than the My K Cup. The My K Cup you have to remove part of the assembly to use, the Solofill fits right in like a regular K cup.

Thank you!

It's a K-cup, for the coffee maker. Not a measurement. They have regular ones, good for 4-10 ounces, depending on how strong you like your coffee. They also have "Extra Bold" that are made for 10-12 ounce. I like the extra bolds, making 10 ounce coffees. No flavorings, just the different roasts and blends.

I'm trying to figure out the practicality of one of these machines for someone like me.
I typically make 9 cups in my Cuisinart every morning. I usually have a cup left over that I sometimes nuke in the afternoon, but more likely nuke first thing the next the morning.
I buy my coffee on sale, Folgers or Maxwell House.
Nine cups at 0.58/c comes out roughly to one of the Folgers canisters every 1-3/4 days. And they certainly last me longer than that. A couple weeks anyway. I never really pay attention.

However... to tell the truth, coffee in the morning just isn't "doing it" for me anymore. The taste is blah and the caffeine... if the caffeine perks me up, I sure can't tell. Basically I just drink something warm every morning out of habit. And sometimes I'll skip a morning. It's not like I'm addicted to that morning cup O Joe.

I could get something high octane, but to tell the truth I'd probably still be making 8-9 cups. And that could get expensive. I'm sure I would enjoy them more though.
I take it these machines are for people who are really into their coffee and not just someone looking for a better tasting cup with a bit more caffeine?

I was making a full pot everyday and when we cut back, throwing out a half pot every day. I have one cup every day before work and my office machine is good for when I want another good cup of coffee in the afternoon, without the swill they serve in the facility.

Lets face it, its a fun toy. I'm not going to lie, I want one cuz it looks fun and easy. I don't use my coffeemaker everyday because 3 days a week I am on day shift and need to dash out of the house by 0630. Blech. Those are the panic mornings I refer to. My oldest has recently started drinking coffee in the mornings and she has a tendency to use that powdered crap if there is no coffee made. I thought this might be a good call for her too.

I agree with you pacanis, those little cup things look expensive, which is why I am leaning toward being able to use my own coffee grounds. I have some truly amazing coffee from Costa Rica and some Kona that I love. I also have some maple coffee that is to die for. I wouldn't want to do without those items.

This type of coffee maker is perfect for your family Alix. And yes they are fun and easy ;)

Someone brought me some coffee from Columbia and to tell the truth, I didn't notice any difference other than it looked like it had pieces of stuff in it...

Someone brought me some coffee from Columbia and to tell the truth, I didn't notice any difference other than it looked like it had pieces of stuff in it...

And I can tell which Blend and roast Shrek brings me when he brews me a cup.:rolleyes:

I love my Keurig. I have had it for 5 years now and it works perfectly. We get our K cups delivered from Amazon every month. I also love the hot chocolate and apple cider.

I have and use daily my Mini Keurig, which is great for an individual cup of coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, Iced Tea or Iced Coffee, or even a cup of hot water (which I use for tea bags). You can also get pod containers for filling with your own ground coffee or loose tea. Very versatile really, but you do pay a price for the comfort of making 1 cup at a time (actually a choice of 6, 8, or 10 ounces. The larger (taller) Keurig's will handle taller mugs/cups, which the mini cannot.

We have aKeurig at work and it's a pain in the butt to use.

I usually go down the hall to the cafeteria instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Keurig and Tassimso have the same drawback; you have to buy their coffee modules, and they are expensive, especially the Keurig K-cups because Keurig holds the K-cup patent and sues anyone else who tries to make them.

I have had my Krups Home Cafe machine for years and a Senseo which I recently purchased for 30 bucks directly from Senseo. They both use coffee pods which can be purchased on line or in brick and mortar stores for a lot less than the cost of K-cups or Tassimo modules, or you can buy a Perfect Pod Maker and some filters and make your own pods with coffee of your choosing, which is what I do.

For those of you "going green," coffee pods are biodegradable, while Keurig and Tassimo modules end up in the local land fill.

Last edited:
What do you find a pain about it Jenny?

Everything.

It takes for freaking ever and you have to keep opening and closing it to get it to work. It might be broken but it's brand new.

Our boss likes it but we all wish we had our old Krups thermal carafe.

Its faster and easier to walk down the corridor and but a cup of coffee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom