Tequila

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Head Chef
So I mentioned to my son for my birthday when he asked what I wanted. I said s bottle of tequila. We all laughed it off. I have drunk it before at restaurants but never bought a bottle
Anywho he just got back from Melbourne and we went there fir dinner at his joint.
And voila!! He presented me with this. I'm keeping for special occasions.
Thoughts please as I'm new to this.

Russ

20240303_192336.jpg

It's not really something to keep for special occasions. It's a decent tequila for mixed drinks and shots. You can sip it, but it's not going to have the smoothness of a true sipping tequila.

Our favorite high end ish Mexican restaurant makes what they call tejitos, which is a mojito, pronounced mo-he-to, using a good tequila instead of rum. I  much prefer that to a margarita. Its not as sweet and you get more of the tequila taste.

Last edited:
I have never heard of that brand, but there are a lot of brands I haven't heard of. I did a little searching, and it is 100% Blue Agave (50% is the minimum to be called tequila). All premium tequilas are going to be 100%.

I read some reviews, and they all said that this tequila tastes very good, although one reviewer said the aftertaste was not as good as the taste. But everyone agreed that it was a good buy... it is better than they expected in its price range (around $30 US for 750ml).

Basically, you should like it. Try it straight for the first tasting. No lime, no salt. A good tequila should not need salt or a lime.

I would NOT use this to mix up a batch of margaritas. It's too expensive to use that way. This is a tequila to enjoy straight on special occasions.

BTW, I prefer the silver tequilas to the gold tequilas. Personal preference. The one you got is a silver (clear vs and amber color).

CD

Another little note... blue agave plants take about 10 (or more) years to reach the point of harvesting. That's why cheap tequilas are only 50% agave, and 100% agave tequilas can fetch some pretty high prices.

CD

Rascal,

Don’t become the old geezer with drawers, closets, and cupboards filled with things that are too nice to be used. 😉

“Don’t save something for a special occasion. Every day of your life is a special occasion.” - Thomas S. Monson

Russ, please read the reviews yourself. It's not recommended as a straight sipping tequila due to the aftertaste that way more than 1 reviewer mentioned.

Though I have never tried this particular brand, I have seen it for sale in all the liquor stores in my area. The bottle does make you take notice.

I wouldn't use it in a batch of margaritas either because it is more expensive than what is normally used in margaritas and also because I simply don't like them. But, something like the drink I mentioned where the tequila is allowed more of a chance to shine or shots with salt and lime where the aftertaste is mitigated then it would be great.

BTW, a sipping tequila is going to cost at a bare minimum twice what your bottle cost and up from there.

Rascal,

Don’t become the old geezer with drawers, closets, and cupboards filled with things that are too nice to be used. 😉

“Don’t save something for a special occasion. Every day of your life is a special occasion.” - Thomas S. Monson

A special occasion is whatever one wants it to be. My point was don't waste top-shelf tequila on a batch of margaritas.

CD

Drink it when you want and how you want. Personally, we generally put tequila in the freezer. I find tequila too harsh to drink straight so I always use salt, lime or mix it. Drink it how you wish with what you wish. A special occasion could be anything grand to a simple visit with a loved one (son) or even that you made it to another Friday. Aunt Bea is right though. Don't save it to be served at your funeral. I have a cabinet full of bottles that have been passed down.

Thanks to all input. I intend being around for a while but I think it will be gone before my demise .
I have tried at a local restaurant after posters mentioned it to me on another forum. I have never seen this brand before.
Will report back on opening.
Ciao

Russ

Drink it when you want and how you want. Personally, we generally put tequila in the freezer. I find tequila too harsh to drink straight so I always use salt, lime or mix it. Drink it how you wish with what you wish. A special occasion could be anything grand to a simple visit with a loved one (son) or even that you made it to another Friday. Aunt Bea is right though. Don't save it to be served at your funeral. I have a cabinet full of bottles that have been passed down.

If you find that you NEED salt and lime to choke it down, then you are drinking cheap tequila -- perhaps Cuervo Gold? That stuff is fine for margaritas, but I won't drink it straight with a gun to my head.

Try some Patron Silver sometime.

1709501015131.png

CD

I don't recall recommending anyone save good tequila for their friends to drink at their funeral. But, I guess I must have, and just don't remember doing it. :unsure:

If someone wants to dump a bottle of really good ($$$) tequila into a plastic bucket with some margarita mix from Walmart and a bunch of ice, go for it. To me, that's like buying Japanese A5 Wagyu beef to grind into burgers -- yeah you can do it, but why would you?

Now, if you do want to use a top-shelf tequila to make a margarita, at least make it from scratch, with good ingredients. Squeeze some fresh limes, mix one part lime juice with one part Cointreau, and add two parts good silver/blanco tequila in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it up, strain it into glass. (based on Sammy Hagar's recipe). You can use some salt, but don't coat the whole rim of the glass. Just a touch on one part of the glass. You lick a tiny bit of salt, and drink from a part of the glass where there is no salt. This is optional. What the salt does is make the margarita taste sweeter. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I don't do that. But, try it, and decide for yourself.

CD

Last edited:
When we make Margaritas we prefer to mix 1/2 lime and 1/2 lemon juice. We have tried with all lime juice and with all lemon juice, but prefer with the mix. They are still good if you only use one or the other juice.

I won't drink Margaritas made with bar mix. I find them disgusting and too sweet. I only know of one local resto (at the moment) that makes good Margaritas. They have some sort of rimming salt that is red and doesn't actually have any NaCl in it, but does taste salty. It works well with Margaritas. I have tried at home with table salt and with coarse salt, and those overdo the salty taste.

When I make frozen margaritas for a gathering of friends, I use Minute Maid frozen limeade concentrate. One can of that, use the empty can to measure out one can of tequila (nothing expensive), and one-half can of Triple-Sec. Add ice, and run the blender until smooth. You need a good, strong blender to do the job.

The frozen margarita machine was invented here in Dallas at Mariano's La Hacienda Ranch.

CD

Last edited:
Oh, another note about Margaritas for me, we find that the cheaper triple sec works better than the nicer, more expensive Cointreau. We were quite surprised.

I don't recall recommending anyone save good tequila for their friends to drink at their funeral. But, I guess I must have, and just don't remember doing it. :unsure:

If someone wants to dump a bottle of really good ($$$) tequila into a plastic bucket with some margarita mix from Walmart and a bunch of ice, go for it. To me, that's like buying Japanese A5 Wagyu beef to grind into burgers -- yeah you can do it, but why would you?

Now, if you do want to use a top-shelf tequila to make a margarita, at least make it from scratch, with good ingredients. Squeeze some fresh limes, mix one part lime juice with one part Cointreau, and add two parts good silver/blanco tequila in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it up, strain it into glass. (based on Sammy Hagar's recipe). You can use some salt, but don't coat the whole rim of the glass. Just a touch on one part of the glass. You lick a tiny bit of salt, and drink from a part of the glass where there is no salt. This is optional. What the salt does is make the margarita taste sweeter. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I don't do that. But, try it, and decide for yourself.

CD
I wasn't commenting on what you had said, CD. I was just adding my 2 cents. For me, I have about 4 drinks a year including wine, so I am no expert. However, I do have a liquor cabinet full of bottles that family members were saving for that special occasion that never came, and I will likely pass on some of these bottles one day (even though I try to get them to family gatherings so others would drink it.

As far as dumping a bottle of good ($$$) tequila into a plastic bucket, I honestly do not hold any kind of alcohol sacred, so I am happy for people to enjoy their libations however they wish. I mean, I once used a shot of Blanton's Original Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Whiskey to make my cranberry whiskey sour. My bourbon-sipping nephews-in-law were scandalized. Fortunately they could appreciate that I enjoyed the drink very much.

So, regarding tequila, we always keep it in the freezer and I enjoy it with a bit of salt and lime - or in a mixed drink. Straight alcohol is generally too harsh for me.

So my tequila is top line.. I must thank my son again. I will try a margarita at least once.
Something different for this dumb ol kiwi. :)

Russ
Definitely try making a Margarita. It's the cocktail that my DH and I enjoy together the most frequently. We make ours 1 part citrus, 2 parts triple sec, 4 parts tequila. I would start with that and if it's too sweet, add another part of citrus, like CD's recipe. Give it a good shake with some ice and strain into pretty stemmed glasses. Of course it will work in other glasses, but I think it deserves a pretty glass. We use our crystal martini glasses.

Last edited:
Definitely try making a Margarita. It's the cocktail that my DH and I enjoy together the most frequently. We make ours 1 part citrus, 2 parts triple sec, 4 parts tequila. I would start with that and if it's too sweet, add another part of citrus, like CD's recipe. Give it a good shake with some ice and strain into pretty stemmed glasses. Of course it will work in other glasses, but I think it deserves a pretty glass. We use our crystal martini glasses.
My wife has a suitable selection of glasses. She may even try??

Russ

My wife has a suitable selection of glasses. She may even try??

Russ

This is a margarita glass, although I don't like them, and seldom use them.

1709558853319.png

Unlike some beverage glasses, such as different size and shape wine glasses, I don't find that margarita glasses have any effect on taste. But, it seems to be easier to spill with them than with most glasses, at least to me.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom