The Eat Beat for Tuesday, 5-23-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks delish, Kay! :yum:

I had a steak sandwich on a hoagie roll for dinner this afternoon. Dill pickle on the side, and 2 glasses of iced tea with lemon slices.

It's been cool and rainy all day. I thawed some barbecued shredded beef (made in the Instant Pot) for dinner tonight. I have a craving for mashed potatoes, so I'll serve the beef over that with a salad on the side.
Mmm mmm good. 0523172053b_HDR.jpg

I'm trying another experiment tonight.

I've made a whole salt roasted chicken a couple of times, but tonight I had four chicken drumsticks. I really didn't feel like making a mess and taking the time to marinate (I'm hongry), so I decided to just salt the chicken legs with kosher salt and they're in the oven now. I have a little rack that I placed over a baking sheet, so they can roast that way.

I have no idea how long they should be in the oven or what temp they need to bake at. So I'm playing it by ear tonight. I'm starting at 375 for maybe 40 minutes. Anyone think this is too long? Too short?

Anyone notice how I ask after I have the chicken is in the oven? Yeah, I worry about myself too. LOL

I guess I'm having pancakes tonight. I must drop a note to Chef John, yes, there is too such a thing as putting too much kosher salt on a chicken.

That's a bummer, rr. Could you maybe rinse the chicken off and use it for some other dish with a lot of ingredients to mask the saltiness? It would be a shame to toss them out. Didn't you say the weather is cooling off again? How about soup?

...Thai Pork Peanut dish...This is a first-time-for-me recipe...
The verdict is: I'll make this dish again. Himself really liked it, which surprised me. I thought he'd like it just enough that I could slip it in again sometime. He did admit that he probably had a taste for something like this and I lucked out, but he still thinks it should be a semi-regular. The recipe I used came in a freebie booklet from "Allrecipes". It was adjusted a bit from the online recipe, but the changes are minor.

Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Pork
- Online calls for 8-9 hours cook time on low; paper version said 2 hours. Seriously? Big difference. I cooked it on low for about 3 1/2 or 4.
- Online calls for 1/4 cup peanut butter; paper version used 1/2 cup. I used 1/2 cup. I would not reduce the amount.
- Online said to put peppers in with meat right from the beginning; paper version said an hour before expected completion time. They were actually in there almost 1 1/2 hours and were OK, but they could have come out and been set aside had the dish required even more cooking.
- Both recipes called for chopped green onions. I forgot. Too bad. :LOL: Actually, with the fauxlantro (parsley) and peanuts, never missed the onion. This time.
Now the (un)glamour shot:

Attachments

• 20170523_215052.jpg
    20170523_215052.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Chicken tacos--made 1 for Mom with a side of fresh cherries (yes, I took the pits out first). Dad had 2 tacos with rice--Mom ate her taco and the cherries (been giving those to her for gouty arthritis pain). She ate the whole darn taco and Dad ate his, too. It is so nice when Mom gets a "star" for a clean plate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom