The Great Pumpkin filling shortage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why? (just curious...i love the Libby's recipe but never tried any others)

It's the combination of seasonings that differs between the two. The biggest issue I have with the Libby's recipe is that it includes clove and I don't care for clove.

I went to my Supermarket today and they had plenty of Libby's pumpkin.I opted for the sweet potatoe instead.
I thought it might be less sweet and more nutritious.

I am going to make the pumpkin bars in the previos link.

I am going to substitute the soy milk for unsweetened almond milk.I am not a big fan of soy milk.This will be my first taste of almond milk.

Well phooey. I thought the 3 cans I had on the self might be 'collectible' - I had my ebay ad already to go :LOL:
You never know Janet--What is plentiful in one part of the country may be rare in another. Keep that ebay ad handy! :LOL: Hey, my daughter sold her appreciation for $1.34 on ebay (right after she bought an invisible man for 99 cents--he told a good story and she figured it was worth it just for that). LOL

:)Barbara

I went to my Supermarket today and they had plenty of Libby's pumpkin.I opted for the sweet potatoe instead.
I thought it might be less sweet and more nutritious.

I am going to make the pumpkin bars in the previos link.

I am going to substitute the soy milk for unsweetened almond milk.I am not a big fan of soy milk.This will be my first taste of almond milk.

These bars are great! Not overly sweet and a nice buttery flavored crust.I added a handful of oats to the topping and used almonds instead of pecans.A def keeper!

I just processed last year's jack-o-lantern into cooked pumpkin. I've had lots of pumpkin for numerous pies all year. Just make sure not to carve your jack-o-lantern until the night before Holloween, then use an LED light source. The pumpkin will still be fresh and great for processing. Just cut, peel, dice, and either bake or steam. Mash it and put it into freezer bags, or can it. Ane the pies I made from it were wonderful. I was told by others that I had to have special - pie pumpkins - because they have a higher sugar content. That just wasn't true. I received rave reviews from everyone who ate the pies made from my jack-o-lantern. I'll be doing the same thing this year. No pumpkin pie filling shortage at Goodweed's house.:D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks Goodweed. Glad to know that pies made from regular pumpkins and not just pie pumpkin still works. As a kid the kind my mom used were from our jackolantern pumpkins too.

I found canned pumpkin filling today at the local Aldi's Store. I bought some of them to use in other recipes.

I make all my 'pumpkin' pies from butternut squash--it is almost as easy to cut the squash in half, bake til tender and scoop out of the shell as it is to open a can. And the flavor is great.

Might have to change my method this year--the butternut vines got eaten by the squash beetles, but the pie pumpkins did great. I have 10 of them on the porch right now. (Probably 150 pounds of pumpkin!)

The first time I ever made pumpkin pie from a regular pumpkin, Shrek brought home a pumpkin at least 1 foot in diameter. He handed it to me and told me he wanted A pumpkin pie. I looked it up in the cook book on how to prep it and went to work. I had cooked pumpkin everywhere, no freezer and no canning capabilities.

I had to borrow a couple of large bowls from my Mom and that one pumpkin made 15 pies. Everyone got a pumpkin pie for dessert, neighbors, family, friends, co-workers...

I told Shrek he was never allowed to bring a stray pumpkin home ever again.

I had to borrow a couple of large bowls from my Mom and that one pumpkin made 15 pies. Everyone got a pumpkin pie for dessert, neighbors, family, friends, co-workers...

I told Shrek he was never allowed to bring a stray pumpkin home ever again.

Do you deliver to Michigan???

I believe weather was the cause of the pumpkin shortage,.
I normally dont buy canned pumkin, i bake the fresh ones and freeze it in baggies for later use, but i ran out last year and wanted to get some for some pumpkin bread i was making. Stores didnt have it so i bought sweet potatoes. couldnt tell the difference!
Still, me thinks i shall be buying two pumpkins this year!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom