The (school cafeteria) Classics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 'Lunch Ladies' in HS made THE BEST ham or chicken salad. In fact, I have never had another that tasted as good.

They also had great cheeseburgers. You could only get 1 or 2 burgers at lunchtime. I would take a bathroom break during the class after lunch, go into the cafeteria, and the ladies would let my load up my pockets with leftover cheeseburgers. LOL

The 'Lunch Ladies' in HS made THE BEST ham or chicken salad. In fact, I have never had another that tasted as good.

They also had great cheeseburgers. You could only get 1 or 2 burgers at lunchtime. I would take a bathroom break during the class after lunch, go into the cafeteria, and the ladies would let my load up my pockets with leftover cheeseburgers. LOL

I did something similar, but for me it was by skipping part of my lunch break and sticking around until everyone was served. Then I'd go back for seconds, or even thirds if I really liked what was being served. And I was so thin in those days. I couldn't gain a pound to save my life. I graduated High School at around 92 lbs, soaking wet.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:)Globe,Az JR. High about 1969 the tacos and burritos were the best and every day they hads tons of steaming hot slices of homemade bread that came with butter and peanut on the side, you could have all the bread you wanted

I only remember 1 school (Country Estates Elem. in Midwest City, OK) I ever went to having vending machines. We had one in the hall by the door everyone went out to go to recess ... it had white milk, chocolate milk, orange juice, oranges, apples, pears and a fourth option of either bananas, grapes or peaches - and you could buy a snack to eat at recess.

I just remembered the one thing that was bad... very bad... you might want to put on a lead lined suit before handling bad... at our elementary cafeteria. That was the mac and cheese... it was a soupy runny glowing white mass (we once put some in a zip lock bag and then into a locker to see if it would actually glow in the dark).
Thankfully, the mac and cheese in high school was pretty good. Baked, thick, cheesy, gooey. The way it is supposed to be!

I was fortunate My father put me in catholic school and I had lunch every day cooked by some very good nuns, same as high school cooked by nuns who knew how to cook
then I transfered to public school yuk I started to carry my own lunch or go down the street to get a burger from a mom and pop shop

I remember one time, on taco day, there were lots of leftovers.
So the last lunch got to eat as many tacos as we wanted.
I only had 3, but some kids had 8 or so.

Those were the ones who ended up in the emergency room. I was just living
in the bathroom for 2 days. The shells were bad!

In 2nd grade, we used to make Formula 444... the school had bowls of catsup and
mustard and mayo on the tables some days... we would mix all three and eat it. Yum????

Can't really come up with any favorites... I liked the hamburgers with the strange white
filler in the middle, and sometimes Pizza Day was good.

By 5th grade I was "brown bagging" it most days. The lunch box I had, with a baseball
game, is now a $50 item or so, LOL!

Chicken Nugget day!!!! With day-glo gravy and instant mashed.. the BEST!

Plus apple crisp on paper wrappers and rectangle pizza I heard mentioned earlier... no sausage for us, though. Just pepperoni. One piece. Usually off-center.

Tater-tots were a rare treat. Usually with awful burgers.

In elementary school we always brought a bag lunch. They always had a special lunch the day before Thanksgiving (turkey and the whole works), but we couldn't afford it, so the school gave us a free lunch that day. I remember those lunches as a special treat. In high school I usually just got school lunches on Taco Day. :cool:

As a teacher I always liked the days that there were mashed potatoes, fried chicken, tacos, and of course the pre-Thanksgiving turkey and "fixin's."

My favorite lunches, as a teacher, were at a school I sometimes subbed at in California. They had a baked potato and salad bar just for the teachers. THAT was a good school lunch!!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom