There must be A Cheddar Way!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Can anyone tell me where on the internet I should buy a certain cheese?

Im looking for ULTRA sharp cheddar. I cant get any good ones around here... well... at least I cant find any where I live without going to Wisconsin. :)

Thanks

Land o Lakes found at most grocery stores. We like the extra sharp. It is made in Arden Hills Mn. I went to landolakes.com and pulled their web page up.

Marge

Tillamook is an excellent cheese, but I wouldn't necessarily call it ULTRA sharp.

I've been spending many years looking for the sharpest cheddars on the planet and I can honestly say that supermarkets generally are not the best place to find them.

Deadly sushi, may I ask where you live? Are you sure you want to buy cheese online? By the time you pay the special shipping charges for refrigerated materials, I don't see it being worthwhile. You're much better off spending some time to find good cheese near you and put the money towards that (really good cheese isn't cheap).

Although you won't find the best prices there, you will find some ULTRA sharp cheese: Whole Foods.

Here is a link for the Illinois locations:

http://www.wholefoods.com/stores/list_IL.html

Trader Joes has better prices but their selections of Cheddars is not quite as good.

Here are their locations:

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/search/ILLINOIS.asp

Whole Foods should have an English "farmhouse" cheddar that will knock your socks off. Whole Foods always has a multitude of cheese to choose from. They also should have a knowledgeable cheese person to address questions to.

Trader Joes has a small enough collection of cheddars/low enough prices that I would recommend buying one of each, except for their farmhouse cheddar which for some reason is nowhere nearly as good as Whole Foods. Keep an eye out for Dubliner - no, it's not ULTRA sharp and yes, it can be found in some supermarkets, but I think it's one of the best cheddars out there and Trader Joes has the best price on it.

Happy cheese hunting :)

Vermont cheddar cheese has taken the worldwide gold medal for 3 years in a row now. it is, the best cheddar on earth. Cabot makes an extra sharp cheddar called Old School Cheddar that is aged 5 years. So sharp that I can only take a little at the time. They have a website

http://www.cabotcheese.com/

MY cheese has ARRIVED! :D I ordered from Tilamook and from Cabot. I got a pound and then a brick (8 oz.). Im in HEAVEN!!!!! :mrgreen:
I bought some water crackers and I have chopped cilantro, cherry tomatos and pate'. Any other ideas as to what I should top these wonderful pieces of aged greatness with??

Have you tried Cracker Barrel Vermont white Chedder? It is sharp and can be found in a grocery store.
Dove

No actually I havent. I did goto Whole Foods and get some sharp cheddar, but I also wanted to try other brands too. :) So I took the advice that was given to me.... which Im quite happy about! :D

How about some topping ideas for the cheese and cracker?

Personally I think a good sharp cheddar needs no other partner other than crackers or good bread. However walnuts are good, as is Branston Pickle (not sure if you can get that fine English institution, but it is gorgeous with cheddar as well as ham and roast beef). Merimbillo, spanish quince paste is also lovely with cheddar. It's also fun to make if you have a heavy saucepan, a heat diffusor and 6 hours to spare!!! Oh and if you can find the quinces! :P :?:

I think it would look best with my hand on top of it swooping down to get it to eat :P

I know you didn't mention Stilton but I love a really good Stilton with honey drizzled on it.

I know this is the obvious but what about a slice of apple?

I'll second Kyles good bread advice.

I'd be curious as to your opinion of all the cheeses you've bought. Are they as sharp as you were hoping for? :)

Yes they are! :D They are both very good! Cabot is not a dry as the other. I like my cheese dry so I was a little bit disapointed, but the flavor is still great!! :mrgreen: By the way... what is Stilton?? And what is Spanish quince paste? I never heard of those. All I can say right now... I got some pepperoni (pepper) and my cilantro (I kept the apple away.. Im not a big fan of fruit) and some horseradish mustard and Im munching away..... THIS will add a few pounds. :( But its soooooooo GOOD!!!!! :D

Stilton is a gorgeous, rich beautiful blue cheese (you can get a white stilton here as well). It is very traditional at Christmas in England, served with a rich piece of fruit cake, or again with good bread, particularly walnut bread. You can buy stilton in traditional ceramic pots, which look beautiful.

Quince paste or cheese is served in Spain and France, and I think in Italy. It is made with quinces, sugar and water, boiled until a beautiful rose colour (quite appropriate as the quince's closest relative is the rose) and then put in a dry place (in my case usually the oven) to dry out. it takes all day to make, and makes the house smell of tangy roses, it's lovely!

The tangy sweetness of the quince paste goes very well with sharp cheeses.

I may be way off in this perception, but my best description of stilton is a blue cheddar. It takes the moldy punch of the blue veins and combines it with a very sharp, crumbly yellow cheddar. Zowie! The easiest way, I think, to detect the cheddaryness, is to have it next to a maytag or gorgonzola, where the mold is much more of a dominant flavor than the cheese. Stilton, is by far, one of the most flavorful cheeses on the planet. Make sure you get a good stilton, though. And, if you do, expect to spend some money too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom