Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked the last of my parsley and basil in my aquaponics system. still have one mint plant that was out- lighted by the others and my fig cuttings ( that have rooted and doing really well) in the system. I may plant some lettuce in the system to keep me busy for the next few months. Also got a cold frame outside that I may toss a few seeds in just to see what comes up. There are some crops ( squashes and melons) that I seem to do better when I find a rogue plant that planted itself in the compost, than when I actually plant it myself, so ill chalk this one under ; if you cant beat them, join them". and see what happens. Got nothing to lose. last year was my best butter nut squash year ever and it grew my spice garden ( self planted). Only reason I let it go is I didn't recognize the leaves and was curious what it was. Good thing I did. I got 8 of the best tasting, largest butternuts I ever had. I only use 1/3 of a squash each time I make soup cause they are so big. Still got 5 of them stored in the basement. similar story with spaghetti squash, but I eat them quicker so got not left

I'm still getting arugala from the garden we planted on July 29. We got the last radishes a week or so ago. The Arugala won't stop.

I've let some of it go to seed a bit as an experiment to see how far it will go and still be edible. Still yummy.

The spice lightened up after the first frosts in December. It was super spicy before that.

Still have some kale and beet greens. The beets didn't do too well, but the greens are like weeds.

Looks great! I have my onions and leeks growing and will start more seeds this weekend. Probably brassicas and lettuce and some herbs

Kale Flowers and Ramps

While strolling through the garden, I noticed my kale was starting to bolt. These kale are leftovers from last year that over wintered. I transplanted them to a better spot a few weeks ago hoping for some more growth and foliage to harvest before I have together rid of them to make room for the tomatoes.

Anyway, I plucked off one of the flower bud stalks and gave it a try. Not bitter at all. Actually kinda sweet, almost broccolini-like in taste and texture.
Wound up harvesting 1/2 of them along with some ' wild ramps' I got in the yard and did a quick olive oil/ garlic stir fry. Really came out very good. Cant wait to harvest the other 1/2.

The ramps I bought a few years back, cause I never had eaten them before. I think I got them from the Oregon Mushroom Company. Anyway, when they arrived the plants were so perfect looking, healthy with roots still intact. there were so many, I figured why not try and plant a few . Worst thing that would happen is it wouldn't take. Now I have about 50 - 60 ramps. I harvest sparingly to allow them to multiply ( however they do that).

This was my first official harvest of the year ( not including the nibbling of the chives or last years arugula while im in the garden).

Attachments

• IMG_5050.jpg
    IMG_5050.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 135
We harvested some of last years overwintered kale today too and had some kale chips with dinner. We also have some new kale seedlings going, will get moved outside in another 2 weeks or so.

We've been munching on our Fall garden all winter and still have a while to go.

Beet greens are the main harvest right now. Planted too close and didn't thin, so lots of greens, no beets.

I love the taste of kale tops as well.

Our arugula is going to seed now, but I'm still munching on it while I work on this year's garden.

I went out today, only to check my covered bed, with the greens and scallions in it (it's supposed to be much nicer tomorrow, for the work!). I pulled up the scallions that had seed heads - mostly very large, but a couple smaller ones. I cut about 1/2" from the root ends, and replanted all of them, and also cut 3 large komatsuna leaves - the main thing I went out for, to use in a recipe tonight. Here's a photo of the scallions, with the komatsuna next to them, then one of a komatsuna leaf over my hand. This gives you an idea of how large those scallions are, next to those huge leaves!
Harvested scallions and komatsuna 4-18-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Komatsuna leaf showing it by my hand. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here is a photo showing that purple napa from Pinetree that I grew this season for the first time. The one behind is a type of red kale, also from Pinetree, as is the frilly one on the far end - red streaked mizuna. The mizuna, unfortunately, has already bolted, under cover, not under cover up on my deck, and the indoor hydroponics plants. Regular green mizuna lasts much longer, so this isn't a keeper. The plant to the left is a kohlrabi, that was from last fall, and I left it in there a few weeks ago, since it was the smallest. I pulled it, but it hadn't grow that much more, and it's not going to grow any more, except up top!
Covered greens, in raised bed, 4-18-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Nice pre-season bounty you got there.
This mild winter has allowed me to be Moree successful early on than I usually am.
That being said, Im looking forward to getting the tomatoes, cukes and everything else in.

Today's harvest: a lot of rainbow chard, a few leeks and a a fair amount of peas. I think I'll make risotto with the peas. I'm going to blanch and freeze most of the chard. I wonder if the stems need to be blanched. I use them like celery in recipes.
20200429_145045.jpg20200429_143254.jpg

I love chard, GG. I just planted some more seeds in my new bed; wanted to see if they do better with a direct seeding.

I harvested my "red streaked" mizuna today, only because it was bolting - I just pulled it out of the ground, and was going to toss it in a tub next to a kohlrabi, that also bolted, and before I brought it I side, it rained over 2" on it, and it continued flowering so much, that I left it there for the bees, which were on it every time I would look at it! So I figured I'd give them more of those flowers, from the mizuna, but noticed, when I took a taste of it, that it was totally different from the green, having a hint of some other vegetable, similar to rutabaga. So I pulled off as much as I could, and will make a soup with it this evening. I really wish it would grow like the green, without bolting (it even bolted in the hydroponics, where the green would grow for months), since it has that unique flavor.
Red streaked mizuna, really more solid red. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's that flowering kohlrabi. No bees today, maybe because of the terrible winds.

Flowering kohlrabi, left for the bees. by pepperhead212, on flickr

Last edited:
Today's harvest: a lot of rainbow chard, a few leeks and a a fair amount of peas. I think I'll make risotto with the peas. I'm going to blanch and freeze most of the chard. I wonder if the stems need to be blanched. I use them like celery in recipes.
View attachment 40668View attachment 40669

When you use the stems of the chard in recipes, do they get cooked or can they be used in place of raw celery, like in salads?

In addition, when Im making Indian recipes ( like Palak paneer) where the spinach ( or in my case chard) is to be finely chopped or pureed, I toss the leaves, stems and all in. Ill sometimes use the stems in Stirfrys. Sometimes the larger, older base of the stems could be a little tougher or stringy like celery , but they usually cook down nicely.

Harvested my first eggplant today - a 9.1 oz ichiban, which is always my first. All of the plants (except the two I planted in that new raised bed) have blossoms on them, which surprised me with rosa bianca, since I thought that was a late one. I also have some 4" cukes out there, so they aren't far behind.

Not much damage last night, from the storm. Only a few short tom branches broken off, and some of the okra and peppers bent over, which I staked back up. Could have been much worse.
First eggplant on Ichiban, 6-21-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I got Blossoms on my mini eggplants, but no obvious fruit. Cukes, Peppers, String beans, zucchini, tomatoes all have fruit and flowers, just waiting for them to mature and ripen. Peas, Yellow beans, strawberries, garlic scapes, chard, herbs all currently available. Slugs and Potato beetles are this years nemesis, but I seem to have the upper hand. So far, I also seem to be very organized and on top of pruning, weeding, fertilizing and just keeping everything the way I want it. Beets starting to bulb up. Im usually not too good with root crops such as beets and carrots. Time will tell. Larger eggplants dont have flowers yet.

Back
Top Bottom