Tomatoes and more tomatoes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just put up 2 bushels of tomatoes as sauce: roasted with garlic and basil, olive oil, s and p. used a food mill on medium to break them all down. saved the "water" for broth. 16 qts of sauce in the freezer . A lot more gets done to it before it becomes dinner, but the major work is done in an evening.

Robo410 said:
just put up 2 bushels of tomatoes as sauce: roasted with garlic and basil, olive oil, s and p. used a food mill on medium to break them all down. saved the "water" for broth. 16 qts of sauce in the freezer . A lot more gets done to it before it becomes dinner, but the major work is done in an evening.

Oh my. So much work. Bet it's delicious!

I'd be sitting there with a spoon. Sounds delish!

I my measly plants have done me proud this year, not got much off them but what they did manage were little beauties.

fist bump:: who loves tomatoes? who is growing tomatoes this year? how are you eating them? your favorite variety? let's talk tomatoes! :)

Oh, Lordy, Vit, I'm up to my eyeballs in Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and they are delicious. At the recommendation of the greenhouse owner, I also grew some strawberry shaped cherry tomatoes, they're nice too. My Better Boys are just starting to ripen. Bunnies have neatly pruned off all the bottom tomato branches, luckily, I was able to save all the green toms.

I've made squashed cherry tomato and olive bruschetta, we eat the cherry toms out of now one of 3 bowls on the counter, and I throw them into just about anything.

Last edited:
ooh, how i envy you dawg, and every one of you who has a successful tomato crop this summer! ooh, ooh, i loove tomatoes, almost as much as i love mushrooms. yeh, THAT much, it's sick! we are still in 'hanover' tomato month here in va--our driscolls, or 'top shelf' tomato variety of the east. just today, i bought some 'cherry medley' tomatoes from a local organic farm, 'radical roots'. omg! these yellow, orange and red tommies are sweet as i've ever had. some of the yellow ones are actually bell or tear-shaped--the sweetest of them all, and probably low-acid too, i'm guessing? this year, tomato prices in this area have remained steep throughout the season, but worth every penny when they are so impossibly delicious, impossible to describe with words....
has anyone made gazpacho this summer? do any of you include clam juice or clamato in your recipe? any other unusual ingredient to make your gazpacho special?

Last edited:
CWS, you still have more tomatoes coming on, right? Our bigger ones aren't quite ripe yet.

CWS, you still have more tomatoes coming on, right? Our bigger ones aren't quite ripe yet.
We have ~300 heirloom tomato plants in--they typically start ripening the end of July and go until the frost ~September 21. Heirloom tomatoes ripen later than hybrids. We are just way behind because of the weather--lots of green tomatoes.

our peach season here in va also had a very late start because of heavy rains in the spring. our experts tell us that the season will extend later into september because of this. PEACHES! i am devouring 3-4 lbs/wk. OMG! peach heaven here--sweet, juicy, oh so delicious-tasting peaches!! juices running all down to my elbows....

We have ~300 heirloom tomato plants in--they typically start ripening the end of July and go until the frost ~September 21. Heirloom tomatoes ripen later than hybrids. We are just way behind because of the weather--lots of green tomatoes.

Wow, 300, that is huge...I take it you have a very large property CWS

Tuna-stuffed tomatoes. We had these for supper a couple of nights ago. Really, really delicious and amazingly filling. I added about 1/4 cup of shredded 4-cheese blend to the mixture. It really showcased the tomatoes and the tuna filling wasn't gloppy mayoniassey, which really went well with the fresh tomatoes.

My kids thought I was a genius whenever I made these. I also used egg salad for stuffing. Ham salad is another good one. Any seafood such as shrimp, lobster, etc. A quick and easy Sunday night supper. Great for a luncheon when you have your girlfriends over. Served on a lettuce leaf makes for a great presentation. :angel:

our peach season here in va also had a very late start because of heavy rains in the spring. our experts tell us that the season will extend later into september because of this. PEACHES! i am devouring 3-4 lbs/wk. OMG! peach heaven here--sweet, juicy, oh so delicious-tasting peaches!! juices running all down to my elbows....

I am on my way. Have rolled up my sleeves so I can lick all the juices off my arms and elbows. But I do draw the line at licking it off my shoes. I remember eating them still warm from the tree and the farmer giving me two at a time. One for each hand. And when I went back to tell him how good they were, he gave me two more. I could have sat on his truck and eaten myself silly. That to me was the best part of working the Fair at the Western Washington Fair in Puyallup. :angel:

I have 4 plants of tomatoes, and so far had only 2 ripen ones. They are slow this year.
CWS, where do you get the seeds for heirloom tomatoes? Do you keep them from previous year or do you by seedlings? I'd like to plant some next year. My kids love them.

I only have three tomato plants this year, but they look like something from "Land of the Giants". HUGE. I stand six foot even, and these guys are taller than me.

As for ripe tomatoes, I've only had four so far. But there are quite a few on the verge of turning color.

My neighbour had at least one ripe cherry tomato. I found it on the horizontal post of my fence. A squirrel must have put it there.

Back
Top Bottom