Top Chef Starts Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the episode a new one tonight? My TV guide doesn't say if it is or not. Personally, I am waiting for Betty (or for that matter, any of the others) to take Marcel out back and teach him a few lessons in being human.

VeraBlue said:
Here in New Jersey, a new episode is airing at 10pm. Right now!
I think the next new episode will be aired next week on 1/3. If it's being shown earlier in NJ don't spoil the end.

On second thought, PM or E-Mail me the dish.

I get the East coast feed on my satellite and it was the one from last week. Oh well..... I can wait until next week for a new one.

Shunka said:
I get the East coast feed on my satellite and it was the one from last week. Oh well..... I can wait until next week for a new one.

You're all right, it was the same as last week, only shown in the 'new episode' time slot:mad:.

I wonder who they were going to send home.....:ermm:

i fell asleep just as they were axeing them.

can someone pm me and tell me who they cut last night?

as far as marcel goes, i wanna smack that wrinkle-foreheaded smug smirk off his face every time he gets under someone's skin.

the last time his team won, sam was the leader. marcel had to comment that he really didn't need any direction or leadership or something.

why i oughta.....

That was the episode that was on last night. The judges were going to cut someone, never got to find out who...because someone threw themselves under the bus like a sacrificial chef.

Corinne said:
Tom's blog said that they were ready to send Elia home.
I read Tom's blog and watched the show. I would have been shocked if Elia had been sent home. While I don't know for sure, it seems much more likely to me that Mike would have packed his knives.

I have watched the showand like it. My question is do these cooking shows really give an accurate portrayal of what it would be like to work in a professional kitchen?

Anyone see last Wednesday's show? Woo-Hoo I wanted to grab Ilan and give him a kiss for his now famous line to Marcel:

"Keep makin' your foams and go cry in a corner!"

Way to go, Mikey - he hit both the quickfire and elimination! Great comment Chef Tom had about how Mikey ought to cook while on Vicodin more often.

Sad to see Betty go - not for her culinary treasures, but for her sweetness.

Still think Sam and Cliff will be in the top 3. Would love to see Ilan get up further as well.

I saw it and enjoyed it - I agreed with the decision about Betty, altho I hated to see her go, her choices for the last few nights had really been lacking. I think the judges get such a kick out of the droofus Marcel, that they'll probably keep him till almost the end just for entertainment!!

Stargazer - I can only say from my experience in professional kitchens, on one hand it can look like mass confusion, but it you watch a little while, it's like a choreographed dance. Everyone knows what they are to do, how to do it and where to do it. It's a beautiful thing to watch - and be a part of.

As far as the back-biting, b**ching and general carrying on, it can happen, but the Chef/Instructor I learned from had the greatest advice for all of us - while in the kitchen everyone works together and works well together. Once you leave the kitchen, the is no reason to associate with or speak to someone if you prefer. BUT NEVER TAKE IT IN THE KITCHEN!!

Last edited:
My daughter and I watch over the phone. She's back at her dorm already. She's got the hots for Sam. I wonder if she knows he works in the same city she's living in now..?:ermm:

The thought of marcel dripping chocolate sauce into an open mouth makes me want to hurl.:sick:

VeraBlue said:
The thought of marcel dripping chocolate sauce into an open mouth makes me want to hurl.:sick:

Ewww... it was gross.

I was glad to see Betty leave. She became way too whiney towrd the end. I also don't think her skill set can match up with the others (except Mikey).

If Marcel makes another gelee or foam I think I'll throw the tv thorugh the window. He should be sent home if he ever does it again,.

My top 3 predictions are Elan, Elia and Sam.

VeraBlue said:
Vera, I guess hurling is OK, but I have it on good authority that snickering is not allowed.
;)

I, for one, like Marcel because of the comic relief. He definitely gets picked on a LOT, and I think the camera spins it quite a bit for full effect. I really hated Steven last season to begin with but my god that guy had style and some amazing dishes, and in the end, I ended up really respecting him.

It would be nice to see someone good and humble win again. I lost a lot of respect for Sam when he started talking so much crap this week. Oh well.

stinemates said:
I, for one, like Marcel because of the comic relief.
Stinemates, glad to hear you're in Marcel's corner because I thought he was all alone, and it would be a shame if sympathy interfered with the fun of rooting against him.

To me this is just theater.

They purposefully pick personalities that will differ and clash. And I believe they have a pretty good idea who will win very early on.

But they have to maintain certain flashy/contentious personalities for as long as they can, otherwise no one will watch. Pare away all but the quiet folks and there are no ratings.

I enjoy watching to see what recipes they are going to come up with.

Am fascinated with a really good cooks ability to come up with a recipe in a nonce.

But I think the person who walks is chosen partly because of his/her performance but more importantly who will not disturb the ratings too much.

They have to maintain a tension there or else the theater part of the show is lost.

This is the only reality type show I have ever watched. But how they do it seems transparent.

Sorry for being a cynic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom