Top Chef Starts Tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was....I'd been picking it to be Sam and Marcel, not Ilan and Marcel. There is an easy 50-50 shot now for either of them. I thought Sam had more talent than both of them, with Elia being the best choice to compete against him. I think it's up to personalities and ratings now.

When it comes to presentation, however, I believe that Marcel has always made the better plate, out of all of them, actually. Does the title deserve to go to an egomaniac?

Finally, I think that nonsense at the judges' table about 'some people' was ridiculous. It just sounded like sour grapes and was completely inappropriate to bring up, especially without details, at that time.

phew! i feel better now. i was starting to get a little scared. i know i've called dw a mean old swamp witch, but she never displayed any actual magical abilities before. royal maybe, but never magical.

i'm disappointed with the finalists. i'm not as interested in who wins now. kinda like when 2 teams from small markets play for the championship.

i would have preferred sam or elia v.s. each other, or v.s. marcel.

now, if i could only figure out what's this feeling of being stabbed with large pins...

omg, Ilan and Marcel? I have to watch the rerun this afternoon. I would have never, ever picked those 2 to compete for the title.

I'm very surprised and not at all pleased...but they didn't call me for my opinion.

VeraBlue said:
I was....I'd been picking it to be Sam and Marcel, not Ilan and Marcel. There is an easy 50-50 shot now for either of them. I thought Sam had more talent than both of them, with Elia being the best choice to compete against him. I think it's up to personalities and ratings now.

When it comes to presentation, however, I believe that Marcel has always made the better plate, out of all of them, actually. Does the title deserve to go to an egomaniac?

Finally, I think that nonsense at the judges' table about 'some people' was ridiculous. It just sounded like sour grapes and was completely inappropriate to bring up, especially without details, at that time.

I agree 100%

I was shocked to see Sam get the boot. IMO his food was loads better than Ilan's -- last night and all the way through (with some limited exceptions).

Marcel and his obsession with molecular gastronomy has become more than incredibly annoying. But he does put out a pretty plate.

I couldn't believe it. I thought Marcel would make it into the final because of the ratings factor, but I really thought it would be Sam. Well Marcel may win it all now. Although, I don't know if that would be good for next seasons ratings.

Shunka said:
Anyone else a bit surprised at the ending of tonight's show?
You can say that again! :ohmy: Those were the two I was expecting to see in the Final Finals... and instead they got sent home.

I think Padma has a "thing" for Marcel, or he would've been sent packing along with his foams some time ago...

I had figured on Sam vs. Ilan or Elia in the end finals. Tom made the comment last night that Sam did not cook something; well I would have chosen Sam's over Marcel's over-thought and (IMO) unappetizing fare any day!!!! I agree with you ChefJune; I think both gals kinda have a "thang" for Marcel. I can't see it as I keep wanting to slap the smirk off his face. Bucky, I am like you and do not really care who wins now, but I would love to see Ilan mop the floor with Marcel............just not sure that a fix is not already in place though. I wish Marcel would stop with the d*mn foams!!!!!!

The repeat is on here at 3pm. I can't wait to see how it unfolds. lol, I'm already steamed.

Maybe Gail has a soft spot for Marcel, but I've noticed that in shows where Marcel may be getting a pat on the head, Padma finds something she didn't like.

I gotta say, I was also shocked! Sam, though, did play it safe, and the lack of cooking really took off the points. Yes, he was really good, and yes, he won the $10,000 "fan favorite" prize money. But, whether he is top chef or not, he'll never have to worry about where he can find a job, imo.
However, after Marcel's near-hazing, I realized I'd been unfairly judging him, and to be honest, he really looks like he loves to study up on his ingredients. So, more power to him.
I've always thought Ilan's food sounded delicious, and he's adorable, and he's got a great personality too, so I'd like to see him win as well. Either way, I'm happy.

(I liked Elia, but thinking back, she's goofed up and broken down too many times for the top chef title, imo)

I would think that if Top Chef was out for ratings only they would have had "Good Son" Sam Vs. "Evil" Marcel. So maybe, just maybe, Marcel and Ilan did have the best food last night. But I do think the judges should have considered past challenges and conduct in the actual kitchen. How the Chefs relate to those around them, in the kitchen, should definetly be considered. True proffessionals treat those around and under them with respect and dignity. Marcel is definetly lacking in that department.

Renee Attili said:
How the Chefs relate to those around them, in the kitchen, should definetly be considered. True proffessionals treat those around and under them with respect and dignity. Marcel is definetly lacking in that department.

And that is why I believe Ilan will win.

Do you really think he treated those around him with dignity and respect? A true proffessional would have let Marcel roll off his back. He was an instigator many times. I don't think either one is a true "Top Chef"

Shunka said:
Anyone else a bit surprised at the ending of tonight's show?

Surprised? Very much so. But more disgusted than anything. :bash: I really, really, really dislike Marcel. Too bad Cliff didn't actually shave a stripe down the middle of Marcel's arrogant head if he was gonna be kicked off anyway. I guess Marcel's the one so many of us "love to hate" & that's why he's still there. Makes for good TV, right?

I want my food to taste good more than I want the plate to be pretty so he wins no points from me for his stupid teardrop designs on every plate.

mudbug said:
eeewwww, ick! really?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Buckytom summed it up for me:
buckytom said:
i'm disappointed with the finalists. i'm not as interested in who wins now. kinda like when 2 teams from small markets play for the championship.
Or when two big market teams play over-hyped and over paid players.
The best is when a small market team plays together to defeat the big city boys, but back to to the topic:

Sam and Elia were my favorites for the finals. For me, Marcel is no more than a comic character to root against. Ilan becomes the the guy to root for but only by default; if there is something else on TV at the time, I'll probably just watch the Top Chef Finale when it come up on re-run.

I'm with just about everyone else here. I thought Sam should have gotten to go on over Ilan. From what I could remember, he made better stuff, and for the most part did "play well with others." There was one or two episodes I could recall where he just let into Marcel ( can't say I could've kept my cool that long), but there were also episodes where he had to work with Marcel (the catering deal for Access Hollywood) and he handled the team really well. His flavors always sounded good to me over Ilan's. I really hope Marcel doesn't get Top Chef, but as has already been mentioned, I don't think either really deserve Top Chef. It should have been Sam.

what really erked me was, the fact the judges said( and the chef especially) "We are judging the food! WE don't care what happens back in the kitchen!".

Now correct me if I am wrong, wasn't last seasons winner noted as having "leadership" and the ability to work with others? And that is part of being a TOP CHEF!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom